PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Throw ins, officials, the laws and towels......

europne

Patron
To me yesterday really emphasised that the FA needs to tighten up its regulations and the application of them around throw ins, as now the ‘long throw’ has become an important attacking tactic.

We witnessed blatant cheating and officials who weren’t interested in applying those particular laws to yesterday’s match.

They need to ensure that throws are taken at the correct spot where the ball has exited the pitch, they don’t allow free kicks the same latitude and the throw is now as dangerous as the free kick.

The use of towels to dry the ball.....can you imagine if they started doing this also before every free kick, the weather conditions are part of football and this use of towels or drying the ball should be banned.

And as yesterday the question of having both feet on the ground and not encroaching onto the pitch with running throws is a nightmare for officials to watch, maybe it should be the law that the ball can only be thrown in when the player is standing still?

It was obvious very early on what West Brom where doing with the throw ins and towels.

Towels where banned but at some point it seems they have been allowed again, I believe the rule is that both sides have to be able use them.

However, yesterday was a joke in the second half when it appeared that they had a coach whose only concern was towels for Furlong. When furlong realised his towell and gone he looked genuinely bemused at how he could take a throw in without how towel.

At the end of the game he has to be led away by their towel coach, he has lost it and was heading for the fans in the IPS.

What the referee can do and should have done was as soon as this was clearly becoming an issue was to get all the towels in so neither side could use them.

All that said... The towels are a minor issue. The encroachment was obvious from the first few minutes. We all saw what he did for the goal. He took about 15 yards which was the difference between a standard throw to a goal scoring chance.

The standard of officiating in the championship is actually getting worse. I have come to the conclusion though the EFL don't actually care, secret assesor reports, no clear reviewing of performances.

Something else of note is there is a soft touch attitude in the Premier League yet often in our league they are more petty than ever.

No doubt we will be reported for the ball boys and fans nicking the towel's which will just about sum them up.

It was obvious very early on what West Brom where doing with the throw ins and towels.

Towels where banned but at some point it seems they have been allowed again, I believe the rule is that both sides have to be able use them.

However, yesterday was a joke in the second half when it appeared that they had a coach whose only concern was towels for Furlong. When furlong realised his towell and gone he looked genuinely bemused at how he could take a throw in without how towel.

At the end of the game he has to be led away by their towel coach, he has lost it and was heading for the fans in the IPS.

What the referee can do and should have done was as soon as this was clearly becoming an issue was to get all the towels in so neither side could use them.

All that said... The towels are a minor issue. The encroachment was obvious from the first few minutes. We all saw what he did for the goal. He took about 15 yards which was the difference between a standard throw to a goal scoring chance.

The standard of officiating in the championship is actually getting worse. I have come to the conclusion though the EFL don't actually care, secret assesor reports, no clear reviewing of performances.

Something else of note is there is a soft touch attitude in the Premier League yet often in our league they are more petty than ever.

No doubt we will be reported for the ball boys and fans nicking the towel's which will just about sum them up.

Two 6”4 centre backs throwing themselves to ground at the slightest touch and the referee falling for it every time. Yet if a striker is getting man handled then it’s okay.

Saw it with fisher plenty of times but all a defender has to do is fall over and they’ll get a free kick. Weird.

Two 6”4 centre backs throwing themselves to ground at the slightest touch and the referee falling for it every time. Yet if a striker is getting man handled then it’s okay.

Saw it with fisher plenty of times but all a defender has to do is fall over and they’ll get a free kick. Weird.

The one where he gave the foul against Maguire when their 6'5 giant threw himself to the ground summed him up really.

Where did the ball go out though?
I genuinely can't remember. They pinched yards on each kick and through so I'm guessing they did pinch yards.
Just because he was set to take it from further up doesn't mean it went out there.

I genuinely can't remember. They pinched yards on each kick and through so I'm guessing they did pinch yards.
Just because he was set to take it from further up doesn't mean it went out there.
They absolutely did not steal all those yards. Livermore was trying to take a quick throw further back from where the ball actually went out. That said, he stepped over the line when he threw it in but nobody seemed to check. Yet in the 2nd half they did check and pulled up Riis on it for a foul throw.

To me yesterday really emphasised that the FA needs to tighten up its regulations and the application of them around throw ins, as now the ‘long throw’ has become an important attacking tactic.

We witnessed blatant cheating and officials who weren’t interested in applying those particular laws to yesterday’s match.

They need to ensure that throws are taken at the correct spot where the ball has exited the pitch, they don’t allow free kicks the same latitude and the throw is now as dangerous as the free kick.

The use of towels to dry the ball.....can you imagine if they started doing this also before every free kick, the weather conditions are part of football and this use of towels or drying the ball should be banned.

And as yesterday the question of having both feet on the ground and not encroaching onto the pitch with running throws is a nightmare for officials to watch, maybe it should be the law that the ball can only be thrown in when the player is standing still?
What was your thought on VDB yellow on the edge of 18? That was a ridiculous card and they could of scored off of it also.

The ref was horrendous!

From the IPS side I was watching and judging from the Advertising hordings.

He took at least about 15 yards. No question, even the WBA local media commented on it.

They absolutely did not steal all those yards. Livermore was trying to take a quick throw further back from where the ball actually went out. That said, he stepped over the line when he threw it in but nobody seemed to check. Yet in the 2nd half they did check and pulled up Riis on it for a foul throw.
They did steal all those yards! We sit on the AKTE and the ball went out towards the end of the Dewhurst Home advertising hoarding adjacent to the LEP hoarding, the throw was taken in the middle of the Par Homes hoarding so they nicked the best part of two hoardings worth of ground to take the throw, 15 to 20 meters!!

Totally agree. It's a huge advantage. The foot on the floor thing I can take or leave but he was as far on the pitch as Riis was when he got foul throwed. That's easy to spot and all the lino should be looking at.

I noticed the lino from the start. Not ageist or fatist but he was too much of a fat old bastard to be at Championship level. Looked like he was daydreaming half the time.

The still that Quest pulled up last night shows Livermore trying to take a quick throw in before giving the ball to Furlong 15 yards down the line - think me and others have mistook this for where the throw-in should have been taken.

However it should have been taken where Furlong received the ball so he was in the right position - however that was outside the box around 20 yards from goal and he's thrown it in from around the 10 yard mark so he's gained at least 10 yards. See the stills below.

E_mdQLwXoAkzoUD

fIKYpTg.png

They did steal all those yards! We sit on the AKTE and the ball went out towards the end of the Dewhurst Home advertising hoarding adjacent to the LEP hoarding, the throw was taken in the middle of the Par Homes hoarding so they nicked the best part of two hoardings worth of ground to take the throw, 15 to 20 meters!!
I know they stole some but I genuinely didn't think they stole that amount. I'd like to see it back though in terms of the ball going out initially. Hold my hands up if I'm wrong.

The still that Quest pulled up last night shows Livermore trying to take a quick throw in before giving the ball to Furlong 15 yards down the line - think me and others have mistook this for where the throw-in should have been taken.

However it should have been taken where Furlong received the ball so he was in the right position - however that was outside the box around 20 yards from goal and he's thrown it in from around the 10 yard mark so he's gained at least 10 yards. See the stills below.

E_mdQLwXoAkzoUD

fIKYpTg.png
Can see from that, that he definitely wasn’t over the line either as some people have been suggesting. Joke though how far forward he went.

E_mdQLwXoAkzoUD

fIKYpTg.png
That's how I saw it. I know they stole yards but I didn't think they stole what they showed on Quest.

I know they stole some but I genuinely didn't think they stole that amount. I'd like to see it back though in terms of the ball going out initially. Hold my hands up if I'm wrong.
We saw exactly were it went out, near the edge of the Dewhurst advert and at the end of one of the cut strips. He actually took it from the end of the cut strip two away from were it should have been. As each strip is around 6 metres that’s around 12 metres.

As with Rugby Touch judges, the linesman should stand at the point the ball went out. As you can't be offside direct from a throw in, the linesman then only has one job to do, which is watch the throwers feet. It couldn't be easier. Persistent encroachment is a yellow card and 2 yellows is obviously a red. It could be eliminated very easily.