Time to stop taking the knee?

Realistic

usual liker
Patron
I thought two minutes of silence for Prince Phillip was more OTT than a few seconds of players kneeling but I would never have booed it! The kneeling gesture lost its impact a while ago as others have said. However, for a while there it certainly got everyone talking about and reflecting on institutional racism and what it means while also emboldening footballers to share more publicly the disgusting racist abuse they receive (which will hopefully go some towards improving accountability on social media platforms in the future?). I thought they would have stopped the kneeling ritual before the Euros to be honest - perhaps the booing will entrench their stance on it though, so to speak.
There is no such thing as institutional racism. The second most powerful person in the country (The Chancellor) is of Asian background as is the third (Home secretary) also. If you can find me a public institution in this country that discriminates against Black/Asian/Chinese minorities, I'll send you a tenner via the owner of the site.

daddyman16

Manager
For example, we’ve debated on here in the past on the PNE section about how there seemed to be a minutes’ applause for someone every week at some point at Deepdale.

It's a nice sentiment, but at some point you'll always end up clapping for someone who you didn't know if you fell over them. You clap so you don't look a heartless so and so, I think the kneeling is similar, you feel/felt it is a good sentiment but you can't stop so long as it's a done thing. To not kneel makes someone, to others, look a heartless so and so.
Kneeling continues and sadly Marcus Rashford and many like him on the fields and on the streets still get abused regardless, the gesture has done nothing.

Funky Monk

Forum Patron
Patron
There is no such thing as institutional racism. The second most powerful person in the country (The Chancellor) is of Asian background as is the third (Home secretary) also. If you can find me a public institution in this country that discriminates against Black/Asian/Chinese minorities, I'll send you a tenner via the owner of the site.
Well, it is a thing. Whether or not it exists in this country and at this present time is a different thing and not necessarily what I was talking about. 🙃

pnesaint

First Team
Always amuses me - black people getting on their knees to white people as a symbol of the fight against racism.

Can see how it started in America with their obsession with, and veneration of, the 'Star-Spangled Banner', but not in the UK situation.

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
The uproar being amplified by certain sections of the media, particularly those on twatter, and the name calling of those booing, is pretty sad.

BLM suppprters went amok around the US and parts of the UK forcing people and shaming people to kneel, at the same time as attacking police and defacing statues, property, looting, murdering people etc.

The simple answer is to just change the mode of protest. Move away from the poisonous kneeling, closely linked with the BLM movement, and they will get support from all sides.

There are so many black people who are defending the booing. Are these people also racist?