PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Time to stop taking the knee?

I saw a cocktail on the menu in a restaurant today, a Negroni, am I allowed to say that when I order it or should I just point?
There’s been a low bar for arguments in this thread but congrats for completing the limbo

1607554809351.jpeg

I think it was very unfortunate that the 4th official chose to identify the player by the colour of his skin. Whether this was intentionally racist or not , I’m not sure, but the reaction does seem disproportionate. Makes me wonder if there is more to it that we are not being told.

It does remind me of a cricket commentary on the radio I was once listening to many years ago. There were 2 right handed batsmen at the crease , and the commentator was saying as well as both being right handed , they both had similar helmets on , wore short sleeve shirts and had similar batting stances , so it was difficult to tell them apart. But player A , (I can’t remember his name) , he said, could be distinguished because he carried a bat with a slightly thicker red stripe down the front. Yes, his co- commentator said, but he was also black.

Im afraid the whole BLM, George Floyd, taking the knee thing for me has been a real backward step in race relations. It has shifted the focus on to the colour of someone’s skin. It has alienated white working classes yet again, and the reaction of Millwall fans, whilst also disappointing , was not entirely unpredictable. Millwall are the epitome of a working class club. Their motto is “ no one likes us we don‘t care“. It was inevitable that they were going to do something to say they disapproved of the BLM group, and stuff what anyone else thinks about them.

I would much prefer to focus on the positive . I think back in athletics to the pride in the likes of Daley Thompson, Kris Akubuski, Linford Christie, holding the Union Jack aloft. Pioneers like Sol Campbell , Viv Anderson ans even Ian Wright and their pride in playing for England, their country. Surely these are more unifying and productive to the cause than the divisions highlighted by BLM.

I think it was very unfortunate that the 4th official chose to identify the player by the colour of his skin. Whether this was intentionally racist or not , I’m not sure, but the reaction does seem disproportionate. Makes me wonder if there is more to it that we are not being told.

It does remind me of a cricket commentary on the radio I was once listening to many years ago. There were 2 right handed batsmen at the crease , and the commentator was saying as well as both being right handed , they both had similar helmets on , wore short sleeve shirts and had similar batting stances , so it was difficult to tell them apart. But player A , (I can’t remember his name) , he said, could be distinguished because he carried a bat with a slightly thicker red stripe down the front. Yes, his co- commentator said, but he was also black.

Im afraid the whole BLM, George Floyd, taking the knee thing for me has been a real backward step in race relations. It has shifted the focus on to the colour of someone’s skin. It has alienated white working classes yet again, and the reaction of Millwall fans, whilst also disappointing , was not entirely unpredictable. Millwall are the epitome of a working class club. Their motto is “ no one likes us we don‘t care“. It was inevitable that they were going to do something to say they disapproved of the BLM group, and stuff what anyone else thinks about them.

I would much prefer to focus on the positive . I think back in athletics to the pride in the likes of Daley Thompson, Kris Akubuski, Linford Christie, holding the Union Jack aloft. Pioneers like Sol Campbell , Viv Anderson ans even Ian Wright and their pride in playing for England, their country. Surely these are more unifying and productive to the cause than the divisions highlighted by BLM.

Daley Thomson

Kris Akubusi

Linford Christie

Sol Campbell

Viv Anderson

Ian Wright.

I just thought Idlook up the names you used as examples. 100% of whom have suffered racism.

Daley Thomson

Kris Akubusi

Linford Christie

Sol Campbell

Viv Anderson

Ian Wright.

I just thought Idlook up the names you used as examples. 100% of whom have suffered racism.

I think if you looked up every overweight person there would be instances of the being called a fat cunt.

If you looked up every tall person there would be instances of them being called lanky.

If you looked up every short person there would be instances of them being called titch.

If you looked up every ginger person there would be instances of them being called carrot top.

Everyone at their worst is a cunt and everyone at their best is a saint. I'm not trying to belittle racism, far from it, I'm just saying we can't expect us to tar the whole of society with the most negative of brushes and not expect to have any repercussions.

I think if you looked up every overweight person there would be instances of the being called a fat cunt.

If you looked up every tall person there would be instances of them being called lanky.

If you looked up every short person there would be instances of them being called titch.

If you looked up every ginger person there would be instances of them being called carrot top.

Everyone at their worst is a cunt and everyone at their best is a saint. I'm not trying to belittle racism, far from it, I'm just saying we can't expect us to tar the whole of society with the most negative of brushes and not expect to have any repercussions.
Everywhere I go I get ‘donkey boy’, and ‘king dong’, ‘pony penis’, ‘show us you’re babbies arm’, ‘is it true your packing a cannon’.

I’m sick of it.

There’s been a low bar for arguments in this thread but congrats for completing the limbo

View attachment 2402
It's not a terrible point. Given that the topic of discussion is a player potentially mishearing the Romanian 'negru' for the English slur 'negro'.

The point is that we're more focused on attacking people for perceiving to be racist than actually combating racism or in the bigger picture ensuring that black lives matter.

More coverage has been given by the MSM to this simple misunderstanding and other such trivial cases than the Nigerian SARS and the Tigray conflict. Things that genuinely are ending black lives.

If you were not trying to belittle racism you have utterly failed with this post. :(

you should try being a fat, grumpy, jock bastard for a day!!!

If you were not trying to belittle racism you have utterly failed with this post. :(

I knew there'd be a few overly sensitive souls that would take it that way, hence the addition of the phrase.

But, whilst we're here, are you suggesting that calling someone "a black cunt" is worse than calling someone "a fat cunt" or "a spotty cunt" or "a ginger cunt"? I think if you asked a psychotherapist they'd tell you they have exactly the same affects. You're just more predetermined to sensitivity for one.

People have got to stop with the idea that we can model society to their perfection.

I knew there'd be a few overly sensitive souls that would take it that way, hence the addition of the phrase.

But, whilst we're here, are you suggesting that calling someone "a black cunt" is worse than calling someone "a fat cunt" or "a spotty cunt" or "a ginger cunt"? I think if you asked a psychotherapist they'd tell you they have exactly the same affects. You're just more predetermined to sensitivity for one.

People have got to stop with the idea that we can model society to their perfection.

And by take it that way, I mean miss the point entirely.

I think the addition of the phrase was because you knew that what you were typing is wrong and thought you could somehow justify it. You almost clumsily stepped into "I'm not racist, but..." territory. I'm genuinely stunned that you don't think it is worse to be honest. Cant decide if its deliberate ignorance or just ignorance. It is worse and I think you know that.

Maybe John Terry should have just used this defence 🙄

I think the addition of the phrase was because you knew that what you were typing is wrong and thought you could somehow justify it. You almost clumsily stepped into "I'm not racist, but..." territory. I'm genuinely stunned that you don't think it is worse to be honest. Cant decide if its deliberate ignorance or just ignorance. It is worse and I think you know that.

No, it was for sensitive souls like I clarified.

Can I ask why is it worse? Because of the historical context? What if I told you somebody called a ginger cunt from the age of 4 doesn't care about the history? What if I told you the thousands that are fat shamed into committing suicide don't care about the history?

You're putting weight onto something seemingly because you believe it makes you superior to others.

Not even going to justify the "I'm not a racist, but comment with a proper response. If you knew me away from here, you would know how ridiculous that comment is.

Maybe John Terry should have just used this defence 🙄

I'd love you to find where I said calling somebody "a black cunt" wasn't racist. I just said I'm equally disgusted by other things that nobody wants to make a song and dance about.

Not even going to justify the "I'm not a racist, but comment with a proper response. If you knew me away from here, you would know how ridiculous that comment is.

I'd love you to find where I said calling somebody "a black cunt" wasn't racist. I just said I'm equally disgusted by other things that nobody wants to make a song and dance about.

But then again, race is completely unimportant to me.

Can I ask why is it worse? Because of the historical context? What if I told you somebody called a ginger cunt from the age of 4 doesn't care about the history? What if I told you the thousands that are fat shamed into committing suicide don't care about the history?
Textbook whataboutery.

You're putting weight onto something seemingly because you believe it makes you superior to others.
Completely unsubstantiated and uncalled for.

Textbook whataboutery.

Completely unsubstantiated and uncalled for.

Textbook no legitmate answer for the question that supports your viewpoint AND makes you look like a decent person so just abuse the question instead.

I did use the word seemingly. But it does appear more apparent to me with every post.

Strange how football brings us together....🙄😂😂😂

Scottish fans love English fans and vice versa with some choice phrases....

Rivalry is there between all fans in club and country games, the opposition fans normally being given abuse in quite severe ways.....

It’s part of the competition, it’s part of the banter, a lot is tongue in cheek and soon forgotten, other is long lasting as in Glasgow.

I’m just saying it’s part of footy.

But now.......merely say coloured or something sounding like negro and it’s a mortal sin it appears. Far too touchy, needs a bit of common sense applying.