PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Today's Grand National

Dirty Harry

Patron
Loved this event as a kid growing up in the 70s. It often coincided with FA Cup semi final day in the days when both matches were played at neutral grounds on the same day. If PNE were at home, there'd always be someone on the North End with a big radio and folk would huddle round it to see who won the big race.
Big day for Hemmings, as usual.
Any tips, anyone?

Loved this event as a kid growing up in the 70s. It often coincided with FA Cup semi final day in the days when both matches were played at neutral grounds on the same day. If PNE were at home, there'd always be someone on the North End with a big radio and folk would huddle round it to see who won the big race.
Big day for Hemmings, as usual.
Any tips, anyone?
Dont give any bookies your hard earned, :)

Completely passed me by this.
Not a racing fan and just can't get into at all.
I think I've only been in a betting office about three or four times in my life which has been for the Grand National.

Completely passed me by this.
Not a racing fan and just can't get into at all.
I think I've only been in a betting office about three or four times in my life which has been for the Grand National.
Most folk are probably the same Hodgey.

I miss the Grand National days of the past. It was always a warm day. I was very nervous entering the bookies for the first time as a kid in the 1970's with my £1 stake. There were televisions and lists on the walls. I picked a slip from the dispenser and a stubby pen from the pot. Eenie meany miny mo and I scribbled a name on the slip. I returned home and sat in front of the telly awaiting my riches. 50 fecking years later and I'm still awaiting my first return!

What a day though today? I listened on Radio 5 Live and what an emotional experience.

I've already said I was in tears. I need to listen to that commentary again.

Here's Rachael's story for the time being...

(If anyone finds a link to the commentary, please let me know.)

Last edited: