PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Toddler Ellie-May Minshull-Coyle died 'in monstrous cage'

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
A toddler who died after being tied face-down in a "cage" bed experienced "immense suffering", a court has heard.

Ellie-May Minshull-Coyle, aged 19 months, died last March in a flat she shared with her mother, stepfather and a lodger in Lostock Hall, Preston.

A cot had been tied to the bed frame creating a "monstrous cage", Liverpool Crown Court was told.

Lauren Coyle, 19, Reece Hitchcott, 20, and Connor Kirby, 20, each deny her manslaughter.

Prosecutor Christopher Tehrani QC told the court Ellie-May's bed had been pushed against a wall with sheets and bedding placed over the sides to prevent her seeing outside at the Ward Street flat.

The toddler was tied to the mattress of her bed with tight ligatures across her chest and legs and a duvet placed over her, the jury heard.

"By being restrained in her bed in a face-down position... Ellie-May's breathing would have become compromised," he told the jury.

'Wholly avoidable'
Marks on her wrists and ankles suggested she had at some point been tied to the "cage" with blankets, Mr Tehrani said.

"This would have caused Ellie-May immense suffering, distress and upset," he said.

"Ellie-May's death was unnecessary, pointless and wholly avoidable."

On the night of her death, Ellie-May became unsettled, prompting Coyle to send a strongly-worded Snapchat message to a friend suggesting he was irritated.

At about 06:00 on March 23, Coyle messaged Ellie-May's father to complain about the toddler crying, the court heard.

When Sean Coyle arrived at the flat to check on his daughter about three hours later, he realised there was a "terrible problem".

Ellie-May was not breathing and, despite attempts to resuscitate her, she died at Royal Preston Hospital.

Coyle, now of Collins Road, Bamber Bridge, Hitchcott, of The Fieldings, Fulwood, and Kirby, of Octavia Court, Huyton, each deny a count of causing or allowing the death of the child, and two counts of child cruelty.

The trial continues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-45736063

A more detailed report here.

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/crime/toddler-died-tied-up-in-cage-bed-jury-told-1-9379065

I feel like crying reading this report :(

At the time I had heard rumours of treatment very closely matching what is described in the report. I dismissed it at the time as sensational nonsense. I'm very dissapointed that it seems to have been largely proved correct.

Absolutely awful. Words fails me.

There is nothing we can do to bring back the little mite now - god bless her
But what can happen is we can learn - learn how and why this happened and in turn put a far more robust system in place to ensure that children are cared for by capable adults
Back in the day the health visior was common, they came to your house not to pry or for sinister reasons, they came to look at the environment and how the parents were coping, offering help, guidance and support - but they also could see when things didnt look as they should and react quickly

But what can happen is we can learn - learn how and why this happened and in turn put a far more robust system in place to ensure that children are cared for by capable adults
Back in the day the health visior was common, they came to your house not to pry or for sinister reasons, they came to look at the environment and how the parents were coping, offering help, guidance and support - but they also could see when things didnt look as they should and react quickly

Absolutely, but that was in a time when people were not afraid of doing their jobs, for fear of being incriminated themselves.

I can't for the life of me understand how people could do this to what is effectively still a baby and how were they brought up in the first place, to think it was acceptable. The accused parents are as much to blame. Not enough young people these days no the difference between was is right and what is clearly wrong.

I can't read the reports, the article was harrowing enough.

Seems like they had one who visited. Coyle had also been given ‘safe sleep’ practice by a health visitor and told to put her to sleep on her back.

How anyone can treat anybody like that is beyond me .

Read more at: https://www.lep.co.uk/news/crime/toddler-died-tied-up-in-cage-bed-jury-told-1-9379065

I can’t read the reports, that poor innocent little girl.

It is most saddening. I too, can’t read the report.

The sad thing is, when you look at some young* parents these days, you can see that they are unfit to be parents.

*There are also many wonderful young parents too.

Disgraceful.

When found guilty I hope they throw away the key. Put them in mainstream prison, CAT A and tell everyone what they did.

"What's the matter here" A wonderful song by 10000 Maniacs. OK... it's about a child whose a bit older than this poor little one, but the message is the same. YouTube it if you've not heard it for a while (or never heard it). In these days where people tend not to know their neighbours, we've got to find a way of doing more. And the last 5 words of the song - it's too commonly the case

That young boy without a name, anywhere I'd know his face
In this city the kid's my favorite
I've seen him, I've seen him. I see him every day
Seen him run outside looking for a place to hide from his father
The kid half naked and said to myself "Oh, what's the matter here?"
I'm tired of the excuses everybody uses, he's their kid I stay out of it
But who gave you the right to do this?

We live on Morgan Street
Just ten feet between and his mother, I never see her
But her screams and cussing, I hear them every day
Threats like: "If you don't mind I will beat on your behind"
"Slap you, slap you silly"
Made me say, "Oh, what's the matter here?"
I'm tired of the excuses everybody uses, he's your kid, do as you see fit
But get this through that I don't approve of what you did to you own flesh and blood

"If you don't sit on this chair straight
I'll take this belt from around my waist and don't you think that I won't use it!"
Answer me and take your time
What could be the awful crime he could do at such young an age?
If I'm the only witness to your madness offer me some words to balance out what I see and what I hear
All these cold and rude things that you do I suppose you do because he belongs to you
And instead of love, the feel of warmth you've given him these cuts and sores that won't heal with time or with age

And I want to say, I want to say "What's the matter here?"
But I don't dare say "What's the matter here?"
But I don't dare say

Songwriters: ADAM SEYMOUR,SUSANNE HUG
© BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT US, LLC
For non-commercial use only.
Data From: LyricFind

"What's the matter here" A wonderful song by 10000 Maniacs. OK... it's about a child whose a bit older than this poor little one, but the message is the same. YouTube it if you've not heard it for a while (or never heard it). In these days where people tend not to know their neighbours, we've got to find a way of doing more. And the last 5 words of the song - it's too commonly the case

That young boy without a name, anywhere I'd know his face
In this city the kid's my favorite
I've seen him, I've seen him. I see him every day
Seen him run outside looking for a place to hide from his father
The kid half naked and said to myself "Oh, what's the matter here?"
I'm tired of the excuses everybody uses, he's their kid I stay out of it
But who gave you the right to do this?

We live on Morgan Street
Just ten feet between and his mother, I never see her
But her screams and cussing, I hear them every day
Threats like: "If you don't mind I will beat on your behind"
"Slap you, slap you silly"
Made me say, "Oh, what's the matter here?"
I'm tired of the excuses everybody uses, he's your kid, do as you see fit
But get this through that I don't approve of what you did to you own flesh and blood

"If you don't sit on this chair straight
I'll take this belt from around my waist and don't you think that I won't use it!"
Answer me and take your time
What could be the awful crime he could do at such young an age?
If I'm the only witness to your madness offer me some words to balance out what I see and what I hear
All these cold and rude things that you do I suppose you do because he belongs to you
And instead of love, the feel of warmth you've given him these cuts and sores that won't heal with time or with age

And I want to say, I want to say "What's the matter here?"
But I don't dare say "What's the matter here?"
But I don't dare say

Songwriters: ADAM SEYMOUR,SUSANNE HUG
© BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT US, LLC
For non-commercial use only.
Data From: LyricFind

The only song I know that I can't listen to without welling up.

Ando60;n3397379 said:
F**king scumbags....

they should be shot !!!

The thing i find sad, reading those 2 reports its that neither of them seem to understand the enormity of whats actually happened to the poor kid. All theyre concerned about is playing the blame game, each of them blaming the other.

raefil;n3397396 said:
The thing i find sad, reading those 2 reports its that neither of them seem to understand the enormity of whats actually happened to the poor kid. All theyre concerned about is playing the blame game, each of them blaming the other.

A family friend was very close with girl and believe me the lengths that this girl has gone to to try and hide her involvement is disgusting

Lauren Coyle and Reece Hitchcott have been jailed for 10 years each.

The judge said he could draw no distinction between them.

Neither showed any emotion as they were led to the cells.

raefil;n3403074 said:
Lauren Coyle and Reece Hitchcott have been jailed for 10 years each.

The judge said he could draw no distinction between them.

Neither showed any emotion as they were led to the cells.

Probably shouldn't be saying this but the lodger ( acquited on these charges ) just got 5 years for armed burgalry aswell....