PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Too Nice - Not Nasty Enough

Today’s result more than any was a perfect example of our seemingly lack of fight. Call it what you will; grit, dogged determination, ‘win at all costs’ or sheer aggression - we simply don’t have enough of it.

It appears (rightly or wrongly) that we are too nice, which is fine if your miles better than everyone else in terms of quality but we aren’t miles better. We have one of the lowest weekly wage bills in the division which means we’ve got to want it more than the opposition and fight for everything. You’ve got to be in the ear of the ref all the time. I saw their players swamping the ref at half time, and their captain was in his ear all of the 2nd half, that should be us. Their equalising goal came from a very soft free kick which their little striker ‘bought’ off the ref by very good simulation, fine but why wasn’t 3-4 of our players surrounding the ref letting him know he’d been fooled. Then when they score from that, the ref’s thinking - “they weren’t happy I gave them that free kick and they’ve just gone and scored from it”.

People lost their temper with Ben Pearson for getting sent off a lot but ultimately he had a real passion and wanted to win so badly he’d virtually assault the opposition to ensure he got the upper hand over them. Sometimes it’s worth getting a yellow card to get the edge over your opposite number. That fitting spirit is worth so much to a team. Every great team has either a combative angry enforcer or there exists a general ethos across the spine of the team that puts the fear of god into the opposition. You read stories from the Class of 92 ala Roy Keane era or the great Arsenal team with Viera and Henry and they all talk about the sort of attitude where when they lost they were virtually fighting each over at the final whistle! Not one captain but a team of captains. Even our own recent history, I think of that Billy Davis Squad with Graham Alexander, McKenna, Lucetti, they would outfight and compete for everything, sometimes through being ‘Nasty’.

I look at our squad and I’m struggling to see the correct level of aggression/ nastiness. Who’s willing to take a yellow card to let their best player know he’s in for a rough ride? Who’s willing to square up to the opposition manager when it’s necessary? Who in our team is having it out with everyone in the changing room at the final whistle? Ryan Ledson maybe would dish it out and perhaps SVB but apart from that Im not sure our squad has enough passion, and I doubt there’s many arguments.

Swings and roundabouts really.

We had Pearson and Fisher who would routinely have threads on opposition forums, calling them dirty, nasty and the like.

By the time they left a good chunk of our fanbase had "had enough of their antics." Both had become "liabilities" apparently.

Think it is clear to see now what both brought, and why we were naive to get rid of Darnell especially, who we could have easily resigned

Swings and roundabouts really.

We had Pearson and Fisher who would routinely have threads on opposition forums, calling them dirty, nasty and the like.

By the time they left a good chunk of our fanbase had "had enough of their antics." Both had become "liabilities" apparently.

Think it is clear to see now what both brought, and why we were naive to get rid of Darnell especially, who we could have easily resigned
I agree with you, people got upset with them for their yellows but sometimes a yellow card is worth something to the team if it makes the opposition scared of you.

We got rid of all the lads who would do anything to win a game of football and now we’re reaping the rewards.
Yes although you can find others and they don’t have to cost a fortune. Sometimes those players aren't the best technically but they are worth more than anyone else due to their presence on the pitch and in the dressing room. (John Welsh comes to mind)

Today’s result more than any was a perfect example of our seemingly lack of fight. Call it what you will; grit, dogged determination, ‘win at all costs’ or sheer aggression - we simply don’t have enough of it.

It appears (rightly or wrongly) that we are too nice, which is fine if your miles better than everyone else in terms of quality but we aren’t miles better. We have one of the lowest weekly wage bills in the division which means we’ve got to want it more than the opposition and fight for everything. You’ve got to be in the ear of the ref all the time. I saw their players swamping the ref at half time, and their captain was in his ear all of the 2nd half, that should be us. Their equalising goal came from a very soft free kick which their little striker ‘bought’ off the ref by very good simulation, fine but why wasn’t 3-4 of our players surrounding the ref letting him know he’d been fooled. Then when they score from that, the ref’s thinking - “they weren’t happy I gave them that free kick and they’ve just gone and scored from it”.

People lost their temper with Ben Pearson for getting sent off a lot but ultimately he had a real passion and wanted to win so badly he’d virtually assault the opposition to ensure he got the upper hand over them. Sometimes it’s worth getting a yellow card to get the edge over your opposite number. That fitting spirit is worth so much to a team. Every great team has either a combative angry enforcer or there exists a general ethos across the spine of the team that puts the fear of god into the opposition. You read stories from the Class of 92 ala Roy Keane era or the great Arsenal team with Viera and Henry and they all talk about the sort of attitude where when they lost they were virtually fighting each over at the final whistle! Not one captain but a team of captains. Even our own recent history, I think of that Billy Davis Squad with Graham Alexander, McKenna, Lucetti, they would outfight and compete for everything, sometimes through being ‘Nasty’.

I look at our squad and I’m struggling to see the correct level of aggression/ nastiness. Who’s willing to take a yellow card to let their best player know he’s in for a rough ride? Who’s willing to square up to the opposition manager when it’s necessary? Who in our team is having it out with everyone in the changing room at the final whistle? Ryan Ledson maybe would dish it out and perhaps SVB but apart from that Im not sure our squad has enough passion, and I doubt there’s many arguments.
How much for a Brian O Neill these days?

Agree completely. It stems from the top, its just not the lack of players of that ilk.

I'd sack Ridsdale for getting rid of Fisher on the cheap alone. A shocking bit of business.

Some do get their backs up with those sort of players, they don't want us to have players that cheat which is admirable but we need those type of players to succeed tat this level because we're trying to compete with a much smaller budget than most clubs.

Agree completely. It stems from the top, its just not the lack of players of that ilk.

I'd sack Ridsdale for getting rid of Fisher on the cheap alone. A shocking bit of business.

Some do get their backs up with those sort of players, they don't want us to have players that cheat which is admirable but we need those type of players to succeed tat this level because we're trying to compete with a much smaller budget than most clubs.
Remember that Fisher tackle in front of the STFS we never seen one since or a cheer as loud. Stupid business to get rid of him.

Although I partly Agee with the OP many used to complain when Pearson got so many yell or even red cards along with Fisher in todays game it’s far easier to get a booking and therefore risk a red card or be afraid to make another 50-50 challenge in the game just a second or so late or the opposition’s player makes a meal of it .
For me we can be far more competitive without risking a booking or a sending off closing players down quickly,(high press) stopping crosses, coming in even tackling higher up the pitch probably means a less chance of a booking .
We now play with a tactic of sitting back and letting the opposition have more of the ball instead of us putting them under pressure, quite of few of our players don’t seem to be able to time a tackle or read the game and get caught out of position far to many times . Part of that is definitely to do with the players but also partly to do with the coaching .
Yes the players need to fight for every ball but in the right way and definitely not turn their backs when the opponents shoot.

Your forgetting though that Darnell had the temerity to swear at Ridsdale during a game. Surely that's unacceptable and he was rightly frozen out and sold off cheaply as a result? No sarcasm at all.

Yes although you can find others and they don’t have to cost a fortune. Sometimes those players aren't the best technically but they are worth more than anyone else due to their presence on the pitch and in the dressing room. (John Welsh comes to mind)
I think there has to be a distinction made between yellow cards for robust tackles and those for dissent. At one stage Pearson was getting too many of the latter but we do miss his commitment to the cause. Not enough players running through brick walls at the moment.

Your forgetting though that Darnell had the temerity to swear at Ridsdale during a game. Surely that's unacceptable and he was rightly frozen out and sold off cheaply as a result? No sarcasm at all.
But it's OK for a player to swear at a fan? Ridsdale shouldn't let a personal spat result in a bad business decision. There are other avenues to take before selling one of our strongest players cheaply but then that's a habit with PR - selling our better players for peanuts

imo. Posters on here are too hung up about the players we’ve sold or let go.
I’d have Riis over Hugill, McCann over Pearson, and Sepp over Davies.We’ve also added Whiteman who is class to take Gally’s place. We don’t know yet how Olosunde going to compare to Fisher .
Iversen is an upgrade on Rudd and we’ve tied down Browne and DJ to long term contracts so it isn’t all doom and gloom.

By the look of it Fisher was the first to come out of the closet and speak his mind... Bloody ridiculous transfer. No sarcasm here either. :)

imo. Posters on here are too hung up about the players we’ve sold or let go.
I’d have Riis over Hugill, McCann over Pearson, and Sepp over Davies.We’ve also added Whiteman who is class to take Gally’s place. We don’t know yet how Olosunde going to compare to Fisher .
Iversen is an upgrade on Rudd and we’ve tied down Browne and DJ to long term contracts so it isn’t all doom and gloom.

You're probably right but we are playing like a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.... The players obviously aren't too happy which transfers to the pitch... Which is no good for anybody who cares.

How was there a situation where he ended up swearing at Ridsdale during a game? Presumably Ridsdale, who apparently leaves the football stuff to the coaches, getting involved when he shouldn't do?

How was there a situation where he ended up swearing at Ridsdale during a game? Presumably Ridsdale, who apparently leaves the football stuff to the coaches, getting involved when he shouldn't do?

His was all sarcasm and so was yours... Touche.. :D