Top 5 Album Covers

Sepp Blatter

Forum Patron
Patron
I always liked a good album cover - one of the great losses now that we have moved into the age of the download.

Thought it might be interesting to see what covers everyone likes, but with a twist.

Rather than just put my five favourite of all time, I limited it to albums that I bought just because of the cover and had never heard the band's music before.

Many years ago, my local record shop sold LPs for a fiver, or three for a tenner. Quite often, to make up the three, I ended up buying something because I liked the cover. The first two are now among my favourite bands, and I am still listen to Dio now and then.

Found this one in my stepdad's record collection - fantastic cover and love the music.

If a record has a cat on the cover, I buy it.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Here are mine, some might seem odd but I am a big fan of aesthetics

Cigarettes After Sex- Cigarettes After Sex

David Bowie- The Man Who Sold The World

Pixies- Doolittle

Manic Street Preachers- Holy Bible

Soulwax- Nite Versions

Last edited:

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
Was it Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix that was largely sold in a plain cover due to censorship of the official cover which had topless ladies on it?

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Love the cover for Doolittle, but was already a fan of the band before I bought the album.
Yeah it's a belting album cover from an incredible band.

Others that nearly made the list are:

Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures
Johnny Cash- American IV
Velvet Underground and Nico

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
Was it Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix that was largely sold in a plain cover due to censorship of the official cover which had topless ladies on it?

***Patrick - I'm going off topic a bit here.......

When the acetate of that album was issued it was titled 'Electric Landlady'.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
See now I'm tempted to do an album cover rug with the favourite vinyl covers in my collection

OP
Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter

Forum Patron
Patron
Yeah it's a belting album cover from an incredible band.

Others that nearly made the list are:

Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures
Johnny Cash- American IV
Velvet Underground and Nico
Some great covers there - that's why I limited to bands I had never heard of, or I would never have narrowed it down to five! Most of the early albums by Metallica and Iron Maiden are ace, for a start.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Some great covers there - that's why I limited to bands I had never heard of, or I would never have narrowed it down to five! Most of the early albums by Metallica and Iron Maiden are ace, for a start.
If you still have the king crimson on vinyl you could be sat on a tidy sum depending on the version

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
It was my stepdad's record, so I don't know when he bought it. Will ask him sometime. I only have it on CD.
I got the album as an Xmas present in 1969 (I had requested it). I lent it to a girl I was chasing at university in around 1975 or 6. I never got it back (nor did I get my wicked way) Lose: lose :(