Trams in Preston (again!)

kbd_pne

First Team
My big problem has always been that the majority of traffic is going through Preston center to get somewhere else. South Ribble to Ashton, Penwortham to Fulwood etc. Unless you have a huge tram network you don`t help most of these people. But the media and the "powers that be" obsess about shopping and town center workers traffic.
It’s the exact same at Broughton roundabout motorway junction. There’s so many cars that have to get through there to go somewhere else with J31a only on one side and no link road to Eastway.

Preston’s road network just seems so illogical at times.

Henrys Cat

Forum Patron
Patron
What happened to this then? Weren’t Eric Wright Construction due to start a 1km prototype track in March this year. I’m sure I saw that on TV. Has the project been binned?

pbc373

Forum Patron
Patron
It's probably just total poppycock.

Likely jobs for the boys at the council, talking about something that will never happen. A bit like the Tithebarn development, which was never going to happen and did damage to a lot of local businesses over the years of its discussion

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
It's probably just total poppycock.

Likely jobs for the boys at the council, talking about something that will never happen. A bit like the Tithebarn development, which was never going to happen and did damage to a lot of local businesses over the years of its discussion
Its nothing and never was anything to do with the council. this has been private companies from day one.

AndySaville

First Team
What happened to this then? Weren’t Eric Wright Construction due to start a 1km prototype track in March this year. I’m sure I saw that on TV. Has the project been binned?
Since the announcement that Eric Wright Group would be laying the test track and building the depot close to nothing has happened bar some vegetation clearing (which has since grown back).

Methinks Trampower don't have the money/investors to actually build the infrastructure needed or get their tram up and running again.

As I've said many a time, I'm a massive supporter of trams returning to Preston using old and existing lines but unfortunately my faith in Trampower to get anywhere close is now virtually zero.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Since the announcement that Eric Wright Group would be laying the test track and building the depot close to nothing has happened bar some vegetation clearing (which has since grown back).

Methinks Trampower don't have the money/investors to actually build the infrastructure needed or get their tram up and running again.

As I've said many a time, I'm a massive supporter of trams returning to Preston using old and existing lines but unfortunately my faith in Trampower to get anywhere close is now virtually zero.
Thats a shame, like you Id have loved to see this project get off the ground. Sadly without public finance being put into it I doubt it will ever get off the ground. That just simply isnt going to happen is it?

I dont know the ins and outs of, "City Deals," but wonder whether financing could be found through this funding?

TSR2

Forum Patron
Patron

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07419677/filing-history

northender1881

First Team
We'll all be in flying electric autonomous cars by the time they have the funds to do anything.

I was very interested in the idea, it seemed to make a lot of sense to me given we have plenty of old track just hanging around getting overgrown, but it seems as dead as a dodo now.

AndySaville

First Team
northender1881;n3400887 said:
We'll all be in flying electric autonomous cars by the time they have the funds to do anything.

I was very interested in the idea, it seemed to make a lot of sense to me given we have plenty of old track just hanging around getting overgrown, but it seems as dead as a dodo now.
Unfortunately they've clearly never had the backing required, maybe if it hadn't taken so long to get planning permission for the demo line there would have been more interest. Think they were also hoping on public money to back them.