PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Trams in Preston (again!)

I can see this being as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

In what sense? It needs to be trialled somehow.

Having spent quite a lot of time lately over in Europe, for all their drawbacks, European nations do public transport a lot better than us.

Regular, prompt and affordable tram services across a city are comfortable, convenient, affordable (especially for regular commuters who can buy a pass), better for the environment and reduce congestion particularly in city centres.

Preston is getting bigger and bigger, especially with more and more housing developments going up in the area. 4-5 team lines around the city would do absolute wonders IMO, especially in town and around the train station where Butler Street can be utterly chaotic with everyone driving to/from the station.

It can surely only possibly work if backed by the council and government (subsidised). It has to be a cheaper alternative to the bus or it wont work. The other possibility is if the local council make the rad system so clogged, you have to use the busses or trams.

for me a tram is a good idea.
my circular route - big ideas of course:

train station - corporation street to adelphi roundabout [linking uni area with train station] - down friargate - left onto A59 - right at lancaster road [linking train station to bus station - preston a town where the bus station nearly a mile away from the train station... wtf!] - right at church street - onto fishergate back to train station

run every 10mins, full circle including stops i reckon 20mins tops

can the miley tunnel be used for anything? existing infrastructure not being utilized.

Pedestrianise fishergate - has to happen, in the day time as a minimum, be an argument for taxi/car/bus access at night for people getting out of town

100% back the total demolition of the bus station; and bus station relocated to the train station as any normal town would use it. how this could happen is no doubt difficult but personally i believe it is doable and really modernise the public transport system

the guild hall. i would demolish that, and st johns too, both out dated shit holes, obviously this touches on the failed Tithebarn project but i am just planting my vision for preston. in this area i'd have and arena and a nice multi story free carpark. i dont know what else but what an opportunity, lancaster road itself has some beautiful buildings on it, and needs looking after and promoting.
trams could then also leave town, straight down garstang road, down london road, out to the docks too. linking some highly residential areas. and roads like garstang road a nice and wide and maybe could accommodate a line down the centre.

do we maximise the canal infrastructure out toward ashton? could be used maybe for public transport or tarted up in some areas to attract pubs or whatever, preston has some beautiful stretches of canal and none of it is used like towns such as lancaster use it - granted it goes through the town centre in lancaster.

just my ideas. where the cash comes from whether any of it is sensible is up for debate but i'd love to see us be a bit more ballsy and promote the town because it has potential. the town is growing at a rate i would imagine has never seen before, the catchment area is growing like crazy and maybe in the future nobbers could see some benefit in an exciting vibrant town.

train station - corporation street to adelphi roundabout [linking uni area with train station] - down friargate - left onto A59 - right at lancaster road [linking train station to bus station - preston a town where the bus station nearly a mile away from the train station... wtf!] - right at church street - onto fishergate back to train station

can the miley tunnel be used for anything? existing infrastructure not being utilized.

Pedestrianise fishergate - has to happen, in the day time as a minimum, be an argument for taxi/car/bus access at night for people getting out of town

100% back the total demolition of the bus station; and bus station relocated to the train station as any normal town would use it. how this could happen is no doubt difficult but personally i believe it is doable and really modernise the public transport system

the guild hall. i would demolish that, and st johns too, both out dated shit holes, obviously this touches on the failed Tithebarn project but i am just planting my vision for preston. in this area i'd have and arena and a nice multi story free carpark. i dont know what else but what an opportunity, lancaster road itself has some beautiful buildings on it, and needs looking after and promoting.
trams could then also leave town, straight down garstang road, down london road, out to the docks too. linking some highly residential areas. and roads like garstang road a nice and wide and maybe could accommodate a line down the centre.

do we maximise the canal infrastructure out toward ashton? could be used maybe for public transport or tarted up in some areas to attract pubs or whatever, preston has some beautiful stretches of canal and none of it is used like towns such as lancaster use it - granted it goes through the town centre in lancaster.

just my ideas. where the cash comes from whether any of it is sensible is up for debate but i'd love to see us be a bit more ballsy and promote the town because it has potential. the town is growing at a rate i would imagine has never seen before, the catchment area is growing like crazy and maybe in the future nobbers could see some benefit in an exciting vibrant town.

Utterly pointless putting forward any suggestions which involve demolishing the bus station as it isn't going to happen.
And when were you last over here? If it was any time recently then you should know how much the Guild Hall has changed. In fact there's a new 3 floor entertainment facility opening in the there in 3 weeks time.

Utterly pointless putting forward any suggestions which involve demolishing the bus station as it isn't going to happen.
And when were you last over here? If it was any time recently then you should know how much the Guild Hall has changed. In fact there's a new 3 floor entertainment facility opening in the there in 3 weeks time.

i know. just what id like to see happen. nothing that major will happen, a) theres no cash and b) no appetite and c) listing the shit hole has locked it down for the foreseeable

was home in july, i know rigby has ownership of guild hall, i just think its shit, im allowed to say it regardless of where i am.

There really is no space, whatever, for a bus station near the railway station. that ship sailed along time ago, financially.

nah its not aesthetically pleasing at all, extremely outdated! seriously, the town and rejoin could have a more modern sustainable arena there if it wanted
& of course theres loads of reasons not to imagine what could be but round the back of debs theres a huge car park, a multistory could go there and a 'bus station' is merely somewhere to park a bus for 5mins there is plenty of room down there if things were re-engineered

No offence but please stay in California. Enjoy the sun.

Where to start on this....?

Trams would be great for Preston, as a City it is being developed well and over the last 15 years the majority of changes and enhancements have been positive, culminating in more restaurants and visitors coming into the city.

I don't see the issue with the Bus station being "1 mile" from the Train station. By the way, its 0.7 miles.

We've already reduced traffic on Fishergate, my opinion for the better. It is more pleasurable walking down there now than it used to be. You could argue pedenstrianize completely but there are a lot of small businesses on side streets which would suffer with access. Single file traffic with cars banned during the day is fine. Although need to sort out the Debenhams end.

Total demolition of the Bus station....!!!! Get real. It is currently being renovated, which was what was needed in the first place. It needs updating, made less scary, and directly linked to the Guild Hall and the rest of town. The subways are being covered and it is being pedestrianized too.

Demolish the Guild Hall.... what the place that attracts thousands of visitors every week? Good gigs there, been a lot for comedians such as Greg Davies last weekend. On top of that, we now have Level going in there which is unique to North West - a sports bar, with crazy golf, bowling, etc - potentially great. And the eateries on the outer side of the Guild Hall have improved everything too.

You want a car park there.... yet you want trams? We need less cars in town, and easier access to and around Preston to negate the need to drive there in the first place. That's the whole point with everything.

No offence but please stay in California. Enjoy the sun.

Where to start on this....?

Trams would be great for Preston, as a City it is being developed well and over the last 15 years the majority of changes and enhancements have been positive, culminating in more restaurants and visitors coming into the city.

I don't see the issue with the Bus station being "1 mile" from the Train station. By the way, its 0.7 miles.

We've already reduced traffic on Fishergate, my opinion for the better. It is more pleasurable walking down there now than it used to be. You could argue pedenstrianize completely but there are a lot of small businesses on side streets which would suffer with access. Single file traffic with cars banned during the day is fine. Although need to sort out the Debenhams end.

Total demolition of the Bus station....!!!! Get real. It is currently being renovated, which was what was needed in the first place. It needs updating, made less scary, and directly linked to the Guild Hall and the rest of town. The subways are being covered and it is being pedestrianized too.

Demolish the Guild Hall.... what the place that attracts thousands of visitors every week? Good gigs there, been a lot for comedians such as Greg Davies last weekend. On top of that, we now have Level going in there which is unique to North West - a sports bar, with crazy golf, bowling, etc - potentially great. And the eateries on the outer side of the Guild Hall have improved everything too.

You want a car park there.... yet you want trams? We need less cars in town, and easier access to and around Preston to negate the need to drive there in the first place. That's the whole point with everything.

at the moment i dont live in california, does that bother you? its a name i created when i joined the wonderful and friendly pne_online... regardless, its the world wide web

i thought you were going to teach me a total lesson on town planning as your post starts off so self-righteous.

im allowed an opinion as are you, problem is it all gets a little bit personal doesnt it. its pathetic to be honest, and you wonder why this message board is totally dominated by a handful of posters, maybe because an alternative opinion is usually crucified with a good dollop of really-shit sarcasm at best and abuse at worst.

if you planned a town would you put a train station (thanks for the correction) 0.7 miles from a bus station, or would you link your entire public transportation structure into something that is optimised?
i was just making a point, a general observation.
Of course they wont demolish it – not cause its been painted but because its ridiculously listed - it takes up a huge amount of space and is totally under utilised [it is WAY too big] nor near the centre of town. so to give it 'where do i start...' haha did make me smile

guild hall is shit, its out dated and only you silly old farts cant see that – go to a modern arena and you’ll see that. prestoners have had to endure going to manchester to see good bands for decades, because they have the infrastructure and can attract the acts, so could preston. population is exploding, university is too, and could attract people to the town from east Lancashire, fylde, lancaster, cumbria etc if there was a good enough venue; which the guild hall frankly is not.

look disagree, its good ‘silly’ debate –I propose some impossible things that will never happen for LOADS of reasons, but I can have an opinion. i love preston, grew up there, just some stuff has always puzzled me and i'd love it to really regenerate and modernise yet keep the beautiful aspects there are like miller arcade, harris, covered market, winkley square, avenham park etc. so frankly, no need to be so narky mate.

Its not about planning, unless you go back to the 19th century. Historically there were several bus stations in Preston the main one being where the guild hall now stands, which was the ribble bus station.

If I remember correctly the closest one to the station was the old Fishwicks bus station on fox street. There was another on Starchhouse square.

Preston corporation buses used to leave from around the Miller arcade.

I was at the Guild Hall on Monday night...... The Guild Hall and the surrounding area is certainly on the up and up........

We went for a cocktail in the review bar and then went for some food in Mundo Tapas - both places were very good !!!

Its not about planning, unless you go back to the 19th century. Historically there were several bus stations in Preston the main one being where the guild hall now stands, which was the ribble bus station.

If I remember correctly the closest one to the station was the old Fishwicks bus station on fox street. There was another on Starchhouse square.

Preston corporation buses used to leave from around the Miller arcade.

The Ribble bus station was on Tithebarn street and featured in the Northern drama film - A Kind of Loving

The film was shot in a mixture of locations including Preston, Blackburn and Bolton...........

Last edited: