PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Trams in Preston (again!)

Yayy, looks like this happening.

I`ll leave Sav to tell us more :)

Thank you sir. It does look like, at very least we're going to get a demonstration line as a contract between Trampower and construction firm Eric Wright has been signed.

Whilst I'm very sceptical about a tramway sharing the roads from Deepdale to the railway station the article also mentions the line going the other way towards Deepdale Retail Park and down the route of the old line towards Uclan via the Miley Tunnel. IMHO the latter route has massive potential and could also help ferry away fans to and from the ground.

Fingers crossed!

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/major-milestone-reached-for-preston-tram-project-1-8946946

If that’s the New Tram promotion video , frankly I m dissatisfied- I wanted one of those sleek , shiny trams like Manchester.

People must have used them for the novelty, even the bloke pushing his bike overtakes the tram, half a dozen horse, room for 12 sitting and standing, conductor, driver and a bloke leading the horses, great film though.

I’m quite excited by this. To see trams rumbling through Preston will be great. Virtually all the Cities on the continent have trams and to me it’ll had a sense of importance to The City.

It's needs to somehow get to Longridge if it's going to be of any use. The amount of traffic on that road in the morning/evening rush hours is horrendous.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

It's needs to somehow get to Longridge if it's going to be of any use. The amount of traffic on that road in the morning/evening rush hours is horrendous.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Ironically one of the biggest causes is the single lane bridge in Grimsargh over the old railway line.

Ironically one of the biggest causes is the single lane bridge in Grimsargh over the old railway line.

True but if it managed to get to deepdale retail, gamull/redscar, it would cut a lot of traffic round there. I suspect it will just go from deepdale to somewhere in the city though and be quite useless for most people.

True but if it managed to get to deepdale retail, gamull/redscar, it would cut a lot of traffic round there. I suspect it will just go from deepdale to somewhere in the city though and be quite useless for most people.

Absolutely. My view as I've said many times before, is that a route from Deepdale through the City Centre is very far fetched as it would cause a lot of disruption and be expensive.

Whilst the old Preston-Longridge line would still need a lot of work to restore it to running order, the cost and disruption would be far far less than building across the ring road, Church Street, Fishergate etc. The route, between the M6 and Preston railway station at least, would also be far quicker as it would only need to cross Gammul Lane, Skevie Road and Deepdale Mill Street via level crossings.

Still early days but with Eric Wright Group on board the demonstration line should be up and running within the year. From there it's a matter of attracting investors and getting the council(s) on board.

Absolutely. My view as I've said many times before, is that a route from Deepdale through the City Centre is very far fetched as it would cause a lot of disruption and be expensive.

Whilst the old Preston-Longridge line would still need a lot of work to restore it to running order, the cost and disruption would be far far less than building across the ring road, Church Street, Fishergate etc. The route, between the M6 and Preston railway station at least, would also be far quicker as it would only need to cross Gammul Lane, Skevie Road and Deepdale Mill Street via level crossings.

Still early days but with Eric Wright Group on board the demonstration line should be up and running within the year. From there it's a matter of attracting investors and getting the council(s) on board.

A tram line is certainly something the city needs, but if it's anything like the Broughton by-pass then I wouldn't be able to use it to get to work because I'll have retired by then. But if it's going to happen then it's got to be done right, having a 1 mile tram line between two random points isn't going to help anyone.

To me 4 lines are needed: Preston to Longridge - east. Preston to Garstang - North. Preston to Walton Summit - South. Preston to Longton - West (although it's more south west I know).

Agree, would all take so many cars off the road in the centre.

Bit of an idea by numbers, but if it was done successfully, with a huge investment, one carriageway of the ring road between the courts and Old Black Bull pub could be used purely as a tram station/main hub with the other carriage way converted into a single lane two way road, given the number of cars needing to go through the town centre being drastically reduced if people from all directions had an alternative to using their cars.

Bit of an idea by numbers, but if it was done successfully, with a huge investment, one carriageway of the ring road between the courts and Old Black Bull pub could be used purely as a tram station/main hub with the other carriage way converted into a single lane two way road, given the number of cars needing to go through the town centre being drastically reduced if people from all directions had an alternative to using their cars.
If it was cheap enough.

My big problem has always been that the majority of traffic is going through Preston center to get somewhere else. South Ribble to Ashton, Penwortham to Fulwood etc. Unless you have a huge tram network you don`t help most of these people. But the media and the "powers that be" obsess about shopping and town center workers traffic.