PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Tramway bridge closed on Avenham Park.

Regardless

-
Patron
Then if the pitches at Grafton were flooded you had to do cross country back down the Tram Road, touch the bridge and then back to the old pavilion.
Don’t know if it was an oversight but I remember once having to run through some ridiculously (dangerously) flooded fields. Upper part of thigh-deep where I was wading - unable to see where you were putting your feet and not knowing the depth of water either side of me!

I don’t recall teachers marshalling the route.

Regardless

-
Patron
Sorry to read about Mr Billington. He didn’t teach me, I don’t think- my memory is crap, - but seemed a decent bloke.
@cpnend - shocking behaviour. I remember lads funnelling in from the side and being a bit annoyed!

I used to really enjoy the cross country - once I got over the disappointment of footy being off. I would be in the battle for 2nd-4th but there was a lad called Naylor in our year. I’ll swear he was already showered and dressed before anyone else got back

cpnend

I do remember occasionally we had to turn left at the Tram Bridge and run down the side of the river, over a style and back past the Winkley Square convent pitches, which I think were the ones with the cow pats.

PNE-Karl

Patron
I loved the cross country days of my PE lessons at school.

Lostock Hall County Secondary, as it was called then.

It was a nightmare.

We'd set off from the school gates and along Todd Lane to the old railway station Todd Lane Junction. Down the steps we would go, trying not to tumble, to the dilapidated platform. We then had to leap down onto the track bed. You then had to start adjusting your step to coincide with the sleepers. A couple of hundred yards later it was back up the railway embankment and over the fence back onto the school playing field. All this time trying to catch the leader. It was too late. Neville Schultz was already back in the changing rooms. We could never catch him. As we got showered the fag smokers would slowly return after hiding out on route. Health and safety? We gave no f*ck! :)

I loved the cross country days of my PE lessons at school.

Lostock Hall County Secondary, as it was called then.

It was a nightmare.

We'd set off from the school gates and along Todd Lane to the old railway station Todd Lane Junction. Down the steps we would go, trying not to tumble, to the dilapidated platform. We then had to leap down onto the track bed. You then had to start adjusting your step to coincide with the sleepers. A couple of hundred yards later it was back up the railway embankment and over the fence back onto the school playing field. All this time trying to catch the leader. It was too late. Neville Schultz was already back in the changing rooms. We could never catch him. As we got showered the fag smokers would slowly return after hiding out on route. Health and safety? We gave no f*ck! :)
“Try telling that to the kids of today and they won’t believe yah”. Happy days. 😃

Schemer

Patron
That is good news. I must admit, I thought it would never happen, particularly since I realised a few months ago, biking into Preston on the path from Lostock Hall that you can cycle across the river on the old East Lancs Railway bridge just downstream. I knew you could walk across but for some reason seemed to recall there were fairly steep steps to negotiate on the Preston side, which would make it a bit awkward with a bike. That's no longer the case - maybe improvements were made on that side when the Tram Bridge closed?

Flintoff

Bench Warmer
Preston City Council is to be handed £20m to spend on a package of works that will include the replacement of the city’s currently closed old tram bridge between Avenham Park and Penwortham.

No Danger

Patron
That is good news. I must admit, I thought it would never happen, particularly since I realised a few months ago, biking into Preston on the path from Lostock Hall that you can cycle across the river on the old East Lancs Railway bridge just downstream. I knew you could walk across but for some reason seemed to recall there were fairly steep steps to negotiate on the Preston side, which would make it a bit awkward with a bike. That's no longer the case - maybe improvements were made on that side when the Tram Bridge closed?
The improvements were made long before the Tram Bridge was shut. At one time both slope and steps were in use until the steps were closed for safety reasons.
As an aside I vaguely remember steam trains crossing the bridge when I was young. There is still evidence of the divide between pedestrian and steam train.