PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Tramway bridge closed on Avenham Park.

7f6dd850ee64a02fc4ca17b2174fc383

Thanks for reminding me about cross country running when the weather was too bad to play football on the pitches at Factory Lane.............. Bloody hated it. :)

Well I only hated it because it meant we couldn't play footy. But used to enjoy the run. I remember once when the water was thigh deep for the length of a field - and of course you couldn't see where your feet were. Not sure it was overly safe! And those cold showers in that cold changing room...

Well I only hated it because it meant we couldn't play footy. But used to enjoy the run. I remember once when the water was thigh deep for the length of a field - and of course you couldn't see where your feet were. Not sure it was overly safe! And those cold showers in that cold changing room...
I can only assume you had masochistic tendancies if you enjoyed it.

As to the showers, don't know which was worse, the cold or the eyes! ?

How can you get to cycle route 55(the old tram road) now??? ?. I use that route quite a lot, going on through Cuerden valley park to Whittle-Le-Woods and Wheelton, leading cycle club rides. ?

How can you get to cycle route 55(the old tram road) now??? ?. I use that route quite a lot, going on through Cuerden valley park to Whittle-Le-Woods and Wheelton, leading cycle club rides. ?

I think that you can use the old railway bridge.

Yes, that was first thought. Pain in the derriere to lug your bicycle up half a flight of steps from Miller Park, across the bridge, then down a full flight of steps to cycle back to tram road.

Big detour, Sats ?.

It’s not a big detour on the bike. Coming from the south, you take the left where the bridge is closed and it’s a few hundred yards to the old railway bridge. You have to go up and down but you can do it without coming off your bike as there is a path on to miler park at the other side.

Slightly easier , about a mile before you get to the river there is a fork in the path. If you take the left it leads straight on to the railway bridge.

Yes, that was first thought. Pain in the derriere to lug your bicycle up half a flight of steps from Miller Park, across the bridge, then down a full flight of steps to cycle back to tram road.

Big detour, Sats ?.

You don't have to use the steps - there's two paths down from the old embankment down to Avenham Park. Also, there's no steps on the other side (sorry to be pedantic!)

You don't have to use the steps - there's two paths down from the old embankment down to Avenham Park. Also, there's no steps on the other side (sorry to be pedantic!)

Not pedantic Shabbs - that was my recollection from, oh, twenty odd years ago ?

Maybe a bit longer than twenty years ?...

SW_EastLancsBridge_mid60s_400.jpg

There are if you immediately want to go alongside the river to join old tram road by the tram bridge which is probably what he was thinking you had to do, but yes carry on as you cross the bridge and it dips down and back up again behind Vernons and it joins the old tram road further along. It's actually a nicer ride than just being surrounded by the trees of old tram road.

Thinking of doing a reccy today to check the route out for a possible weekend ride with the club. Roads round Bowland area all closed tomorrow cos of a car rally. Possible Saturday ride to Village Tearoom at Wheelton or Twin Lakes Velo, Croston. Cheers folks for the info.. ?

If anyone from Preston or south ribble council is reading this , I appreciate repairing or replacing the bridge is a big job and not in this year’s budget. Hopefully though you are putting together a lottery application for a fantastic new bridge to be opened 2020!

A couple of simple things though that could be done , at minimum cost, that would make things much easier for walkers and cyclists now.

1. The path over the old railway bridge stretches to the back of fishergate car park. However access to the car park is blocked by a fence. If you could remove that fence it would save people having to go back down on to the park , then up , round and back to get to the city centre

2. The access from the south side of tramway bridge to the capitol centre involves going under the bridge. Therefore it is closed due to safety reasons. Understood. However a path could easily be constructed from old tram road to the pathway to the capitol centre avoiding going under the bridge. This avoids having to go up to the old railway bridge, through the park, down the boulevard and on to the busy A6 - an extremely lengthy diversion.

Thanks

CTH

If anyone from Preston or south ribble council is reading this , I appreciate repairing or replacing the bridge is a big job and not in this year’s budget. Hopefully though you are putting together a lottery application for a fantastic new bridge to be opened 2020!

A couple of simple things though that could be done , at minimum cost, that would make things much easier for walkers and cyclists now.

1. The path over the old railway bridge stretches to the back of fishergate car park. However access to the car park is blocked by a fence. If you could remove that fence it would save people having to go back down on to the park , then up , round and back to get to the city centre

2. The access from the south side of tramway bridge to the capitol centre involves going under the bridge. Therefore it is closed due to safety reasons. Understood. However a path could easily be constructed from old tram road to the pathway to the capitol centre avoiding going under the bridge. This avoids having to go up to the old railway bridge, through the park, down the boulevard and on to the busy A6 - an extremely lengthy diversion.

Thanks

CTH

Very sensible ideas Chorley. Expect non of them to happen. ?

Very sensible ideas Chorley. Expect non of them to happen. ?
I wish they could, perhaps we could tap into some EU funding?

Oh wait.

Did a reccy of the route on my old MTB today and it's quite nice with different views to the old Tramway bridge. Not really anymore hassle either. I turned left after going under the old railway bridge arch and just before the caff in Avenham Park. Up the slope, then left by the ornamental water feature up another slope and on to the bridge. Choice of a couple of ways after that to get on Cycle Route 55 (old tram road).
Taking a club ride to Wheelton and Wheelton Locks tomorrow.. ?