Transfer Window Overview - Summer 2020

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Dave Seddon started the week declaring it was a crunch week for contract talks, and ended it reminding us about fringe players who AN could use to replace departing first-teamers next season, "providing he is still here".
Eerily similar to the articles in January reminding us of all the players we've got who are able to play 'up front'. Whilst we struggled to sign a striker.

My expectations for this summer are probably as low as they ever have been.

norfolk white

Staff member
Patron
Sure, but we aren't seriously supposed to compare this summer to that summer and conclude "oh, it's not so bad now then"?
But I had more worries of going out the league or having to re-apply that following season than I have of being relegated next season. Until we know what is happening with AN and contract extensions I think some people are over reacting. Every season since we have come back up it’s been doom and gloom for the following season from some

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Every season since we have come back up it’s been doom and gloom for the following season from some
Because we take the same lethargic approach to every summer, and we get the same results.

I don't expect tens of millions to be spent, or a guaranteed promotion push, just some urgency and intent.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Because we take the same lethargic approach to every summer, and we get the same results.

I don't expect tens of millions to be spent, or a guaranteed promotion push, just some urgency and intent.
What's frustrating is there are a lot of decent free agents knocking about and plenty of them will have decent resale value. Surely it's worth checking a few quid extra at the wage bill if we lose one of the big names and getting in some decent quality freebies knowing we can move them on in the summer if needs be and at least break even?

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
What's frustrating is there are a lot of decent free agents knocking about and plenty of them will have decent resale value. Surely it's worth checking a few quid extra at the wage bill if we lose one of the big names and getting in some decent quality freebies knowing we can move them on in the summer if needs be and at least break even?
I'm not even desperate to see free agents coming into the building. Just some sort of plan.

We don't know if the club wants the keep our manager and the manager really wants to be here next season. Nothing on contracts. Nothing on transfers apart from repeated stories in the local press about how we already have replacements at the club.

This is the shortest off-season in years but nothing is happening.

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
But I had more worries of going out the league or having to re-apply that following season than I have of being relegated next season. Until we know what is happening with AN and contract extensions I think some people are over reacting. Every season since we have come back up it’s been doom and gloom for the following season from some
OK, so you are saying we're seriously supposed to compare this summer to that summer and conclude "oh, it's not so bad now then".

Maybe on that same basis we should compare this summer to 1958 and conclude it's absolutely terrible?

Or with 1889 and declare it a catastrophe?

jamesOB

Advisor to the Owner
I'm not even desperate to see free agents coming into the building. Just some sort of plan.

We don't know if the club wants the keep our manager and the manager really wants to be here next season. Nothing on contracts. Nothing on transfers apart from repeated stories in the local press about how we already have replacements at the club.

This is the shortest off-season in years but nothing is happening.
That’s the problem for me. The closest we’ve even got to a rumour of an incoming is some bs twitter account saying expect a striker in soon

Mashimbo

Reserve
OK, so you are saying we're seriously supposed to compare this summer to that summer and conclude "oh, it's not so bad now then".

Maybe on that same basis we should compare this summer to 1958 and conclude it's absolutely terrible?

Prick

rem

Forum Patron
Patron

What a stupid patronising post. You seem very full of yourself.

norfolk white

Staff member
Patron
Thanks for your contributions.

I am sick and tired of people using 1986 to justify ongoing piss-poor management at this football club.
I was not using 1986 to justify ongoing poor management of the club, I was responding to sedgwick_7's post which was:
My expectations for this summer are probably as low as they ever have been.
I don't know how long he has been a supporter of North End for, so I made my response as I feared for the club's existence back then, and that is why I posted what I did. I think you just misunderstood my meaning and then jumped in. (y)

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
I was not using 1986 to justify ongoing poor management of the club, I was responding to sedgwick_7's post which was:

I don't know how long he has been a supporter of North End for, so I made my response as I feared for the club's existence back then, and that is why I posted what I did. I think you just misunderstood my meaning and then jumped in. (y)
Sure - but sedgwick_7's post was obviously lamenting current expectations in a thread about the transfer window. And in that context, invoking 1986 re-election can only ever have one effect - to suggest things aren't that bad now after all.

The 1986 card is frequently pulled out when people say (of the current situation) "this is the worst", "this is the lowest", "this is the poorest"... when a negative superlative is used, you can be sure 1986 will be whipped out sooner or later. People even did it when we were in the depths of Westleyism... "you think GW is bad, well I remember 1986..." Yeah - but GW was bad, so the comparison adds nothing, it just changes the subject.

I'm sorry (and no offence intended to you - and I see your intention wasn't malign), but it's just a stupid, anachronistic argument IMO. At best, it can only serve to take the thread off-topic, from talking about the here-and-now to talking about some distant past time.

There should be a PNE version of Godwin's Law - if someone compares the current situation to 1986 during a PNE discussion, the argument is already lost. :LOL:

norfolk white

Staff member
Patron
Sure - but sedgwick_7's post was obviously lamenting current expectations in a thread about the transfer window. And in that context, invoking 1986 re-election can only ever have one effect - to suggest things aren't that bad now after all.

The 1986 card is frequently pulled out when people say (of the current situation) "this is the worst", "this is the lowest", "this is the poorest"... when a negative superlative is used, you can be sure 1986 will be whipped out sooner or later. People even did it when we were in the depths of Westleyism... "you think GW is bad, well I remember 1986..." Yeah - but GW was bad, so the comparison adds nothing, it just changes the subject.

I'm sorry (and no offence intended to you - and I see your intention wasn't malign), but it's just a stupid, anachronistic argument IMO. At best, it can only serve to take the thread off-topic, from talking about the here-and-now to talking about some distant past time.

There should be a PNE version of Godwin's Law - if someone compares the current situation to 1986 during a PNE discussion, the argument is already lost. :LOL:
I read sedgwick_7's post differently to you and obviously that is why I posted as I did. As for the rest of your post I agree with you on the whole. As for the PNE version of Goodwin's Law, most definitely (y)

BTW the worst manager we have had IMHO besides GW is Tommy Docherty ;)

Anthony Lormor

Youth Team
Isn’t it unusual that the transfer market as a whole is incredibly quiet. Players unable to agree extensions leaving clubs on a free, and not being signed up elsewhere quickly. Stoke seem to be an exception. I guess clubs are coming to terms with their new financial situations, agents expect their clients salaries to keep going up, but the money just isn’t there. Hard to guess how this is going to end.