PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer Window Overview - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea if the Salford rumour is true. But he would be an excellent signing for them, and a club I presume we can sort out a compromise that saves us money and they can afford the difference.

I feel sorry for Nugent. I actually thought he played decent in some games. But he was used far too often because of our lack of options. Too much was expected from him because of this. When really we should have had at least one younger and better option, with Nugent being used in some games for last 20 minutes.

Training starts a week on Wednesday. No new signings, no confirmation on Gallagher, no news on player deals, no new kit available (revenue for the club), concerning times.

I think it's a bit harsh to judge the club on new signings yet as the season only finished less than two weeks ago. Usually there is a whole two months before pre season even starts.

The contract situation is a bit worrying but it looks like things are starting to move in regards to new contracts according to the LEP article.

When people mention they'd keep gally but lower his wage, does anyone really care what wage he's on or if it's lower?

Again being a pne supporter following logic of lowering his wage in order to allow potential delta freed up to be used on a 20 goal a year striker just doesn't stack up - couldn't give a shit what wage he's on and couldn't give a shit if we never sell another player

The point about transfer fees not being reinvested is a fair one as it makes little difference if we sell someone for £1 million of £25 million as we don't see much more invested in replacements.

However, the wage bill is something that needs to go up year on year and if we serious in trying to extend Davies, Pearson, and DJ we need that moveabilty in the wage bill.

Our three oldest players are our highest earners. Gally could have earned a lot more money elsewhere and we all know the personal reasons for his commitment to staying at PNE and we all have huge respect for that. Although we can't continue to pay him top wack and with Paul I don't think money will really come into at this point (although he wouldn't play a full year for free).

So in reality it does make a huge difference on recruiting and keeping our better players although I do accept that you can have the highest wage bill in the league but when your owner offers £2 quid a piece of coal as a transfer fee you may never get to that point to start with.

The point about transfer fees not being reinvested is a fair one as it makes little difference if we sell someone for £1 million of £25 million as we don't see much more invested in replacements.

However, the wage bill is something that needs to go up year on year and if we serious in trying to extend Davies, Pearson, and DJ we need that moveabilty in the wage bill.

Our three oldest players are our highest earners. Gally could have earned a lot more money elsewhere and we all know the personal reasons for his commitment to staying at PNE and we all have huge respect for that. Although we can't continue to pay him top wack and with Paul I don't think money will really come into at this point (although he wouldn't play a full year for free).

So in reality it does make a huge difference on recruiting and keeping our better players although I do accept that you can have the highest wage bill in the league but when your owner offers £2 quid a piece of coal as a transfer fee you may never get to that point to start with.

I do understand but I think your last para summarises the situation far better than my clumsy attempt.

Where as gally, I personally don't care what wage he's on, nor do I care if it's lowered, but because the logic is that if he took a 50% pay cut the wage pot would be approx. +5k a week more to play with, if I was certain that amounted to persuading a few to sign extensions at increased wage and maybe be able to offer a competitive wage to a new striker then it makes sense, but as I say - we're north end supporters 😏

Thanks for your contributions.

I am sick and tired of people using 1986 to justify ongoing piss-poor management at this football club.
I was not using 1986 to justify ongoing poor management of the club, I was responding to sedgwick_7's post which was:
My expectations for this summer are probably as low as they ever have been.
I don't know how long he has been a supporter of North End for, so I made my response as I feared for the club's existence back then, and that is why I posted what I did. I think you just misunderstood my meaning and then jumped in. (y)

I was not using 1986 to justify ongoing poor management of the club, I was responding to sedgwick_7's post which was:

I don't know how long he has been a supporter of North End for, so I made my response as I feared for the club's existence back then, and that is why I posted what I did. I think you just misunderstood my meaning and then jumped in. (y)
Sure - but sedgwick_7's post was obviously lamenting current expectations in a thread about the transfer window. And in that context, invoking 1986 re-election can only ever have one effect - to suggest things aren't that bad now after all.

The 1986 card is frequently pulled out when people say (of the current situation) "this is the worst", "this is the lowest", "this is the poorest"... when a negative superlative is used, you can be sure 1986 will be whipped out sooner or later. People even did it when we were in the depths of Westleyism... "you think GW is bad, well I remember 1986..." Yeah - but GW was bad, so the comparison adds nothing, it just changes the subject.

I'm sorry (and no offence intended to you - and I see your intention wasn't malign), but it's just a stupid, anachronistic argument IMO. At best, it can only serve to take the thread off-topic, from talking about the here-and-now to talking about some distant past time.

There should be a PNE version of Godwin's Law - if someone compares the current situation to 1986 during a PNE discussion, the argument is already lost. :LOL:

Sure - but sedgwick_7's post was obviously lamenting current expectations in a thread about the transfer window. And in that context, invoking 1986 re-election can only ever have one effect - to suggest things aren't that bad now after all.

The 1986 card is frequently pulled out when people say (of the current situation) "this is the worst", "this is the lowest", "this is the poorest"... when a negative superlative is used, you can be sure 1986 will be whipped out sooner or later. People even did it when we were in the depths of Westleyism... "you think GW is bad, well I remember 1986..." Yeah - but GW was bad, so the comparison adds nothing, it just changes the subject.

I'm sorry (and no offence intended to you - and I see your intention wasn't malign), but it's just a stupid, anachronistic argument IMO. At best, it can only serve to take the thread off-topic, from talking about the here-and-now to talking about some distant past time.

There should be a PNE version of Godwin's Law - if someone compares the current situation to 1986 during a PNE discussion, the argument is already lost. :LOL:
I read sedgwick_7's post differently to you and obviously that is why I posted as I did. As for the rest of your post I agree with you on the whole. As for the PNE version of Goodwin's Law, most definitely (y)

BTW the worst manager we have had IMHO besides GW is Tommy Docherty ;)

Can see Patrick Roberts ending up here as a wide option. Had a few loans from Man. City without not doing too much. Will be available again next season.

Can see Patrick Roberts ending up here as a wide option. Had a few loans from Man. City without not doing too much. Will be available again next season.
Was superb at Celtic in his first loan spell, really looked the business. Struggle to break into the side 2nd time around and struggled in Spain

Did very little at Blackburn, Wigan, Oldham, and Kilmarnock.

Now playing in the League of Ireland in his mid-20s.

As I said, would be another Burke.
Only player over there who might be worth a punt at the moment is Danny Mandroiu, Ireland under 21 international, got released by Brighton about 18 months ago, 17 goals in 39 games from midfield for Bohemians since then, including this one off his weaker foot

Wouldn't cost much, especially in the current financial climate and Bohs are fan owned so must be getting short of cash without any outside investment.

Thats the way I read it too.....

Also Sedds telling us contract talks with various players representatives have been going well....

All this whilst Neil is having secret meetings under the Clifton suspension bridge apparently.

hopefully PR is just getting on with the job of doing what AN wants - the better players to commit with him and then see if Kevin Ellison is available.

Thats the way I read it too.....

Also Sedds telling us contract talks with various players representatives have been going well....

All this whilst Neil is having secret meetings under the Clifton suspension bridge apparently.

hopefully PR is just getting on with the job of doing what AN wants - the better players to commit with him and then see if Kevin Ellison is available.
Wouldn't it just be North End to sign a winger who's older than our manager!?

Seddon suggesting Nuge could be off.

Sedds is on leash held by the club, so the fact he is implying he could be off I would think there is something in it. Otherwise he wouldnt say at all. Hopefully Salford come in for him, let him go for free and move on

Good player. I reckon he will end up somewhere bigger

In last three seasons he's been at Celtic, Girona (hardly played), Norwich (hardly played) and Boro (in and out and they were fighting relegation to league 1).

Coming to PNE would actually be a step up for his career imo as he'd certainly get 30-40 starts rather than just being a bench player somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.