PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

TV Series/Netflix/Box Sets

Last night's questions seemed easier than most of the previous weeks', and the connecting walls were remarkably simple for once. Some weeks I struggle to get any of the connections or sequences. Last night I got 5. It's a great quiz and the fact that University Challenge follows on directly, is wonderful.

I got all the bingo clubs. Mecca, Foxy, etc 😂

Three episodes into Squid Game and really enjoying it.
I'm a bit late to Squid Game but I've watched the first 3. Love it, really unusual. The dubbing is really odd, I keep imagining a load of disinterested wannabe actors sitting in a small recording booth, reading their lines in this flat, monotone delivery, thinking what on earth is this 😂

The dubbing is really odd, I keep imagining a load of disinterested wannabe actors sitting in a small recording booth, reading their lines in this flat, monotone delivery, thinking what on earth is this

Some old guy wondering why he has to keep saying "Ah, I remember this game as a kid" and when his cottage pie will be ready.

The BBC documentary about Barney Curley beating the bookies with Yellow Sam is good; it struck me that he had a lot in common with Trevor Hemmings beyond the obvious horse racing connection.

I've heard that some of the character's contexts gets lost in translation, but I don't know if it's the dubbing or subtitles that cause that lose of context.

i watched the first episode subtitled then switched to dubbing as i felt i lost some of the visuals of the games by reading the subtitles

I played around a bit, turning dubbing on and off, but I did notice as soon as I switched back to the original Korean voices I could actually tune into the emotion & acting in their faces, even though I don't understand the words coming out of their mouths. Which is mostly lost when you're hearing the monotone English voices.

So I think for me - subtitles works best. Just opinion of course.

I played around a bit, turning dubbing on and off, but I did notice as soon as I switched back to the original Korean voices I could actually tune into the emotion & acting in their faces, even though I don't understand the words coming out of their mouths. Which is mostly lost when you're hearing the monotone English voices.

So I think for me - subtitles works best. Just opinion of course.

When has dubbing ever been better than subtitles?

Subtitles all the way, can't cope with piss poor dubbing.

If you max out the size of the subtitles (Netflix) you can read them and watch what's going on, you don't tend to sit squinting at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited:
Dubbing has always been awful. I used to be quite a fan of Studio Ghibli films and the American dubbing was always horrendous, much better having Japanese with subtitles.

Rewatching the US Office for about the 68th time and it just brings me so much joy. Incredible stuff.

I started the US office a few days ago after reading your post, at the beginning of season 2, not really clicked with it yet, constantly comparing Michael with David Brent, Dwight and Gareth, Tim and Jim, Dawn and Pam, found Office UK much more cringeworthy up to now. Will have to continue to see how it goes.