UK Energy Crisis

Kathryn

Advisor to the Owner
Heat Pumps...

There was an expert heat pump installer on GB News last week. He said they’re ok in spring and autumn but in winter they’re not much better than useless. He said to give you a good idea of how good they are was to set your thermostat to 40 degrees F (about 5C) in winter.

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
He installs them. I’d believe him over a politician or a celebrity.
And I wouldn't believe any editorial decision by GB News to put a certain viewpoint forward.

And are you watching GB News Kathryn? You seem to be a quite rational person to me.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
There is another interesting video here about hydrogen boilers, and the ins and outs of the change over, same bloke as the video above (Rodger, not keen on him) he is talking with an expert from a boiler manufacturer Bosch/Worcester about Hydrogen heating.....quite long but worth a watch.
I think it all points to holding on as long as possible until the gas boiler can be converted to hydrogen use.

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
I wouldn’t get anything that’s backed by a government grant, it’s like a get rich quick scheme for “suppliers”. Cavity wall insulation, solar panels, all now with claims groups making money out of them. I’ve seen the prices of boilers available under these grants, We have had a complete system put in, including all the piping and radiators for the same price,

Portishead

Manager
General point on energy. My experience of dealing with SSE on my boiler and central heating plan has recently been disastrous. They seem to have been taken over by scammers. Emergency no doesnt work, email customer service contacts are either frankly thick or just deliberately not dealing with the issue and there is no address to complain in writing. The fact that they are covered by the Channel Island Ombudsman says it all. There seems little regulation or recourse in UK for companies masquerading under a previously reputable name which are taking the piss. So I wonder with trepidation what to expect when this pump rollout is put in the hands of such charlatans.

stf4ever

Forum Patron
Patron
And I wouldn't believe any editorial decision by GB News to put a certain viewpoint forward.

And are you watching GB News Kathryn? You seem to be a quite rational person to me.

Rational people aren't told what they are and what they aren't to believe by others, so you're probably right.

They listen to everything and work it out for themselves. Not distance themselves from an opinion due to who voiced the opinion, more formulate an intelligent retort, should one be required.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
There is another interesting video here about hydrogen boilers, and the ins and outs of the change over, same bloke as the video above (Rodger, not keen on him) he is talking with an expert from a boiler manufacturer Bosch/Worcester about Hydrogen heating.....quite long but worth a watch.
I think it all points to holding on as long as possible until the gas boiler can be converted to hydrogen use.

That was so interesting and informative, thanks.

Very very interesting discussion on a possible transition from Natural Gas to Hydrogen being “relatively” easy and convenient.

Also very objective analysis - by someone who makes and sells heat pumps - about how desperately poor they are for the big majority of homes. Basically it is not a retrofit technology- with older homes far too draughty, and recent builds, even though they have much better insulation, the design of existing heating systems are too integrated in the fabric of the house - so very destructive when ripping everything out and starting again.

A great snippet: The government instigated a trial to install heat pumps for a real world trial - and allocated £14M. 4,500 people applied to take part - they would be given everything at no cost, including fitting and remedial work [like making good decoration etc.]. But when the full pros and cons were explained in detail, only 13 installations went ahead!! They couldn’t even give heat pumps away (yet the govt recently set an ambition of us fitting 600,000 per year later this decade.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Please explain succintly why you don't believe anything from GB News.
If its gone too far right for its creator Andrew neil then, without any doubt at all, it will be way too far right for me.

I am all too aware that populism works, for some, but not for me.