PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Unbelievable

I think it is safe to say that this is the Championship ... quite possibly the best league in the world ... we will win some we ought not to and lose some we don't think we should. Any body can beat anybody on their day, as has shown many times already this season. Let's just hope we are on the winning side more often than not.
Strap yourself in and enjoy the ride and get behind the lads!!

Which most people will do if we get something back such as a quality signing,splash a bit of the cash and play some decent football plus tell the fans what is going on.

HUGILL, CUNNINGHAM & ROBINSON money estimated at over £20 million for the club, where has it gone? We signed Nugent and Bauer on frees, Bayliss cost £2 million but is for the future, wheres the rest of it we need to spend now. Massive window coming up

I didnt boo but perhaps it is also an indication to AN and the powers that be that certain players are not cutting the mustard in the supporters eyes. Just saying.

Neil and co. will know full well which players have done their job and pulling their weight.

Publicly humiliating individual players as they are substituted is not productive in anyway.

Since the international break weve

P9 W2 D2 L5 F5 A13 Pts8

We are now averaging under a point a game and, whether we like it or not, hitting relegation form. Weve gone from top spot to now outside the playoffs.

I think PNE fans have been more than patient. Whilst I wouldnt boo players neither will I applaud players who really dont deserve it right now.

You've hit the nail on the head with your final sentence Raef.

There's a big difference between remaining silent as a player is substituted, as I did whist Potts left the field yesterday, and publicly humiliating an individual player by booing, jeering and sarcastically clapping their departure. The latter is counterproductive.

I think that was the point. What cumulative run of games constitutes a run of form.

We've lost one of our last five - Good form
We've lost five of our last nine - Bad form
We've lost six of our last fifteen - Mid table form (at a guess)

A positive result yesterday and nobody mentions the four consecutive defeats. We'd be unbeaten in five, not four defeats in nine. People are just picking the amount of games which suits their agenda. I'm more concerned about what is actually happening during these games on the pitch. The previous four games seemed to suggest we may have addressed some of the problems that existed over the four defeats. Yesterday exemplified that there is still much work to do if we want to remain in and around the top six for the rest of the season.

Not got an agenda. I was trying to point out that we were top of the league in November. We've now hit a wobble that goes back 9 games. 2 wins against Fulham & Luton are the saving grace. However we are often told the league table doesnt lie and we are 3 points off being 3rd or 3 points from being in the bottom half. We need to start getting points on the board again and home to Reading is one where you'd think you had a chance of doing that.

I suspect some of the cheering was because Gallagher was coming on. The TE was already chanting for Gally as he stripped down before we even knew who he coming on for.

Unlucky that the cheers for Gally coincided with a poor performing Potts going off, that's how I viewed it.

I suspect some of the cheering was because Gallagher was coming on. The TE was already chanting for Gally as he stripped down before we even knew who he coming on for.

Unlucky that the cheers for Gally coincided with a poor performing Potts going off, that's how I viewed it.

Definitely aimed at Potts from where I was in the Town End.

He gets grief whenever he touches the ball.

One aspect we have improved upon this season is picking up points from the teams who are currently above us. To date we have 12 pts. from the 7 games we have played against the 6 teams above us which is play off form. However it has to be acknowledged that 5 of those 7 games were at home and we do have some difficult away games to come. We need to show the commitment and level of ability on display at Leeds on a consistent basis.
Consistency being the key word.
This season looking at the table and expecting a win on the basis of league position is a dodgy business.
All is not lost we are still in a reasonably healthy position.
An earlier post said we are only 3 points off the bottom half but it is equally true to say we are 3 points off 3rd.

I think it is safe to say that this is the Championship ... quite possibly the best league in the world ... we will win some we ought not to and lose some we don't think we should. Any body can beat anybody on their day, as has shown many times already this season. Let's just hope we are on the winning side more often than not.
Strap yourself in and enjoy the ride and get behind the lads!!

What a relief to read this post Sedge! I was biting my lip reading the usual knee-jerk tripe from the loud angry ones but you've sprinkled a bit of perspective and reality, thanks. I'm loving this season, I think we have the best manager in the league, we have a decent squad that has cost comparatively nothing and we've played some fab football (not EVERY game) and scored loads of goals (not EVERY game).

What a chance we have of snatching a play-off spot... but I guarantee if spam-brains get louder with their moaning and criticism, it will NOT help performances on the pitch (especially at Deepdale) and we will not succeed.

Up the Lilywhites!!!

Nah. Was clearly directed at Potts. Well, that’s how it seemed from row 30 of the TE.

It isnt OTT at all, had I said we were heading for relegation then it could be accused. However right now our form is actually relegation form.

It happens to most of the teams in this league though, Forest didn't win a game in 5 recently, hasn't stopped them picking up two wins and going back into the top 6.

I'd actually argue Reading is the only poor result. Certainly a point away to a team in the top 2 and also draw at Cardiff who are in that pack chasing top 6 was very solid to build on two home wins. 8 points from 12 before Reading happened.

Let's remember at this level it's actually feasible to lose 20 games and still finish in the play offs if you hardly draw a game.

So can lose nearly 50% of matches and still get promoted. Pretty sure Huddersfield went up the other year with a negative GD which takes some doing.

You don't have to be that amazing to finish in the play offs. For example in 08/09 PNE lost 14 games, 13 in 04/05. Currently on 8 defeats so still can afford to lose and draw a few.

10 more wins will be good enough for top 6 imo.

Let's remember at this level it's actually feasible to lose 20 games and still finish in the play offs if you hardly draw a game.

So can lose nearly 50% of matches and still get promoted. Pretty sure Huddersfield went up the other year with a negative GD which takes some doing.

You don't have to be that amazing to finish in the play offs. For example in 08/09 PNE lost 14 games, 13 in 04/05. Currently on 8 defeats so still can afford to lose and draw a few.

10 more wins will be good enough for top 6 imo.
In the spirit of the thread title, I had a quick look into these claims. I restricted my research to the last 20 years, due to lack of being arsed.

1. Let's remember at this level it's actually feasible to lose 20 games and still finish in the play offs if you hardly draw a game.

Has never been even close to being achieved "at this level".

Closest was Norwich, who finished 9th in 2006, 13 points off the play-offs, having lost 20 games.

Average finishing position for a club losing 20 games at this level is 15th.

2. So can lose nearly 50% of matches and still get promoted.

See above.

3. Pretty sure Huddersfield went up the other year with a negative GD

Yes they did. (y)

4. 10 more wins will be good enough for top 6 imo.

Well, maybe.

But assuming we're losing the rest (see above), that'd give us 69 points, which has only been enough to make the play-offs once, in 2013.

Average points required to scrape into the play-offs is 74.

Average finishing position for a club getting 69 points is 9th.

Incidentally, if we do need 10 more wins to make the top 6 (as you suggest), it means we cannot possibly lose 20 games and make the top 6.

How far does form go? Or do you just pick a sample size to suit an agenda?

8 points from 5 games.
8 points from 9 games.
17 points from 12 games.
39 points from 29 games.

Last 6 is a good guide to form. The last 10 is useful to distinguish between home and away form.

Either way 2 wins from 9 is shit form.

In the spirit of the thread title, I had a quick look into these claims. I restricted my research to the last 20 years, due to lack of being arsed.

1. Let's remember at this level it's actually feasible to lose 20 games and still finish in the play offs if you hardly draw a game.

Has never been even close to being achieved "at this level".

Closest was Norwich, who finished 9th in 2006, 13 points off the play-offs, having lost 20 games.

Average finishing position for a club losing 20 games at this level is 15th.

2. So can lose nearly 50% of matches and still get promoted.

See above.

3. Pretty sure Huddersfield went up the other year with a negative GD

Yes they did. (y)

4. 10 more wins will be good enough for top 6 imo.

Well, maybe.

But assuming we're losing the rest (see above), that'd give us 69 points, which has only been enough to make the play-offs once, in 2013.

Average points required to scrape into the play-offs is 74.

Average finishing position for a club getting 69 points is 9th.

Incidentally, if we do need 10 more wins to make the top 6 (as you suggest), it means we cannot possibly lose 20 games and make the top 6.

If you read what I said I did say with barely a draw e.g. 25 wins, 1 draw 20 defeats = 76 points. I don't mean it as a realistic scenario btw but just saying a team losing 20 games in a season would be seen as a relegation candidate yet you could make the top 6. But again not a realistic scenario in case you didn't read it in the first line.

Yes 10 wins and I'm thinking a few draws. 75 points is always the bar for top 6 imo. Can't think of too many teams who've got to that points tally and not made the top 6, made it with 74 in 2008/09.

You not think it's possible to win another ten games this season then? Just based on the last three?

Alex Neil....one of the most revered managers at the 2nd teir level. PNE fans, up there with the best in spirit but 3rd division in numbers...yet some of our delusional snowflakes demand that our owner pours more of his own money into the drain of overpaid players.....please take over and use your resources and skills to take us to the promised land

Alex Neil....one of the most revered managers at the 2nd teir level. PNE fans, up there with the best in spirit but 3rd division in numbers...yet some of our delusional snowflakes demand that our owner pours more of his own money into the drain of overpaid players.....please take over and use your resources and skills to take us to the promised land

You been on the sauce mate?

Yes, it's 'his own' money, but it's his company, his business. It's what business owners do, if they're able, invest money to at the very least, protect their asset.

The question is, does the owner want to keep pouring money into the club, to keep its head above water ad infinitum, which you would think isn't exactly good business practice. Or, in a season where we probably have the best (and possibly last) chance in years to get promoted, is he prepared to sensibly and prudently increase his investment, knowing that promotion would enable him to finally turn off the money tap?

Last edited: