VAR 2019

Preston1880

Forum Patron
Patron
That was my view as well... he hardly got touched, but went down like he had been shot .

the mane one was a handball and he gained an advantage from it..

Don't agree with that. It barely touched him and the flight of the ball wasn't altered.

Rules are rules though. Handball, no goal.

mozzchops

Manager
Handball is now black and white. A touch and it’s a foul.
Origi goes down so easily, there was hardly any contact. No foul for me.
Var worked well.

pneal

Manager
I've no issue with the Mane goals being disallowed, and I don't think the Origi one was a foul: there's minimal contact and then he throws himself to the ground.

However, overturning the poor decision not to award Watford a penalty is surely what VAR was designed for...and yet inexplicably they let the refs decision stand. And then disallowing the Chris Wood goal was ridiculous. So in effect over those two games VAR failed to fix one mistake, and then introduced another mistake all of it's own.

Really glad we don't have it in the Championship, and hopefully the whole experiment will be abandoned by the time we're in the Prem next season.

BenPearsonIsGod

Advisor to the Owner
Think VAR got both decisions right in the United Liverpool game, still hate it. Not watched MOTD yet but I've heard there was controversy in pretty much every game on Saturday. Getting ridiculous now and sounds like most of the managers are against it now.

The handball rule is ridiculous. Football is dying.

John T

Advisor to the Owner
Actually the 'foul' on Origi was for me showed all that was wrong with football today

As someone so superbly put it, it was just a touch and he went down like he had been shot, my granny would have been embarrassed
I think the Ref rightly thought he made a meal of it, and I for one was glad he made ‘a stand’ especially on a big occasion

For me that and the ‘beach type of football’ is one reason why I don’t go on Deepdale as much as I once did. The game has changed massively, mainly since the introduction of overseas Players and Coaches and not for the better IMO

Delaney

Forum Patron
Patron
Actually the 'foul' on Origi was for me showed all that was wrong with football today

As someone so superbly put it, it was just a touch and he went down like he had been shot, my granny would have been embarrassed
I think the Ref rightly thought he made a meal of it, and I for one was glad he made ‘a stand’ especially on a big occasion

For me that and the ‘beach type of football’ is one reason why I don’t go on Deepdale as much as I once did. The game has changed massively, mainly since the introduction of overseas Players and Coaches and not for the better IMO
Hahaha, love how many different tiny things you give as reasons for not going on Deepdale

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
89 games so far
500+ decisions reviewed
19 changes made to the original decision
About 3.5%

Is it worth it?

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
89 games so far
500+ decisions reviewed
19 changes made to the original decision
About 3.5%

Is it worth it?

They are key decisions so yes.

What needs to happen is the system/technology needs to become more efficient and decisions made much quicker.

There was always going to be a few problems with it starting out, but that's not a reason to ditch it altogether and it will improve as time goes on as it has in other sports imho.

John T

Advisor to the Owner
Hahaha, love how many different tiny things you give as reasons for not going on Deepdale

Actually I DO go on Deepdale when I can, Holidays and Hospital appointments have restricted me so far this season, when you are in your Seventies you will realise you have to take Holidays when it’s less expensive and ‘the little convicts’ are back in school, and Health problems do occur more often at our age

Doesn’t mean I enjoy it like I used to though, football has almost become a non Contact spot (Ben excepted) and his beginning for me at least to resemble ‘Beach Football’ the Origi 'foul' for me being agood example

BenPearsonIsGod

Advisor to the Owner
They are key decisions so yes.

What needs to happen is the system/technology needs to become more efficient and decisions made much quicker.

There was always going to be a few problems with it starting out, but that's not a reason to ditch it altogether and it will improve as time goes on as it has in other sports imho.
It won't ever get better while it is done by fellow Premier League referees who don't want to overrule their mates decisions. Even if it does, it kills the atmosphere of a goal. Fuck it off.

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
It won't ever get better while it is done by fellow Premier League referees who don't want to overrule their mates decisions. Even if it does, it kills the atmosphere of a goal. Fuck it off.
I agree the "clear and obvious mistake" clause is complete and utter nonsense and needs to be scrapped.

That rule alone allows the VAR referee to selectively ignore clear and obvious mistakes made by referee chums - and that's important when you consider VAR stats will doubtless be used to assess a referee's competence (or otherwise) by their assessors.

So it's in their collective interests to over-turn as few decisions as possible via VAR, then adopt the old inscrutable wall of silence approach to criticism when such VAR decisions are analysed post-match.

The "clear and obvious mistake" clause defeats the whole purpose of VAR, which is to eliminate mistakes, whether clear and obvious or not.

Disagree re over-turned decisions "killing the atmosphere of a goal" though, as the result of an over-turned "goal" is the opposing team's fans celebrating wildly as if they've scored a goal themselves.

Nothing wrong with that.

BenPearsonIsGod

Advisor to the Owner
I agree the "clear and obvious mistake" clause is complete and utter nonsense and needs to be scrapped.

That rule alone allows the VAR referee to selectively ignore clear and obvious mistakes made by referee chums - and that's important when you consider VAR stats will doubtless be used to assess a referee's competence (or otherwise) by their assessors.

So it's in their collective interests to over-turn as few decisions as possible via VAR, then adopt the old inscrutable wall of silence approach to criticism when such VAR decisions are analysed post-match.

The "clear and obvious mistake" clause defeats the whole purpose of VAR, which is to eliminate mistakes, whether clear and obvious or not.

Disagree re over-turned decisions "killing the atmosphere of a goal" though, as the result of an over-turned "goal" is the opposing team's fans celebrating wildly as if they've scored a goal themselves.

Nothing wrong with that.
Football is about celebrating goals though, not non-goals. I also don't know because I haven't personally experienced it yet (thankfully) but I highly doubt you would get the same buzz from a few words on a screen as you would the ball hitting the back of the net.