VAR 2019

Doc Brown

First Team
If I am running/turning/twisting away from goal in the penalty area and I get clipped/fouled/dragged down, it is still a penalty.

Whilst I understand those who say it wasn't a penalty, if you watch the slow mo replays (as I did last night on BT), you'll clearly see the defender look at the ball for 1, maybe 2 seconds thus knowing where the ball was, he then turns and STILL puts his arm out. Dalot (United RB) immediately claims "handball" whilst the Ref gives a corner.

Clearly, there was enough of a legitimate issue for VAR to call it back. Good decision and it is one in the eye for PSG who thought they had the tie in the bag. Bonus fun to be had watching Neymars pitch side tantrums. 😂

The blame lies with the defender. He clearly saw that the shot probably wasn't initially on target yet he still led with arm at around 8ft in the air.

Dimwit.

Well done Rashford (same for Kane the previous night). We should be celebrating that two of Englands top strikers are now beginning to show nerves of steel at key key moments - away from home - in pressure cooker atmospheres.

Lets hope that City join Spurs and United into the QFs. Well done to both Ajax and Porto, too.
The PSG defender has almost innocuously jumped/turned his back, presumably to avoid taking the ball straight in the mush, rather than gain any advantage. Dalot struck the ball as hard as he could from point blank range. The defenders back was already turned when the shot was taken. His arm is not outstretched, it is in a perfectly natural position.

The shot itself was sailing a mile wide. There were no appeals from the United players, other than a speculative attempt from Dalot. It was a ridiculous decision. Watching that gobshite Neymar's childlike tantrums was indeed hilarious.

I can't believe you're suddenly a stickler for the rules JD, having spent so long arguing uncompromisingly against the same rule book that clearly credits our own Lukas Nmecha with a goal at Rortherham ;).

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Also if the player was on the line stopping the shot going in everyone would say it is a penalty.
Hard to imagine that situation because a key point is that the ball was driven so hard... so for sure, in the same situation on the goal line, the ball would still have rocketed off the arm and into the net. But in principle... no, it would still not be a penalty.

Whilst I understand those who say it wasn't a penalty, if you watch the slow mo replays (as I did last night on BT), you'll clearly see the defender look at the ball for 1, maybe 2 seconds thus knowing where the ball was, he then turns and STILL puts his arm out. Dalot (United RB) immediately claims "handball" whilst the Ref gives a corner.

Clearly, there was enough of a legitimate issue for VAR to call it back. Good decision and it is one in the eye for PSG who thought they had the tie in the bag. Bonus fun to be had watching Neymars pitch side tantrums. 😂

The blame lies with the defender. He clearly saw that the shot probably wasn't initially on target yet he still led with arm at around 8ft in the air.
And therein lies a big problem with VAR. You watched it in slow mo on BT Sports. If you saw the defender look at the ball for between 1 and 2 seconds and then his arm moves outwards towards the ball... then you must have been watching it in super super super super slow motion - and things can look very different from reality. Come on Jack... in real time, the defender saw a shot was about to come and tried to jump in the way of it (edit... and it hit the back of his arm within a small fraction of one second). If that counts as a penalty, I give up.

Ron Burgundy

Manager
So, in a completely different situation, then its the correct decision?

Can't agree with your logic here, Ron.
It's the logic of a foul or say a handball anywhere else of the pitch apart from the penalty area is a foul.

How many times do you not see a penalty given but somewhere else on the pitch the same action is punished?

That's what I was getting at.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
How many times do you not see a penalty given but somewhere else on the pitch the same action is punished?
All the time, in fact several times each match, usually little pushes from strikers or defenders 40 yards from goal. Annoys me.

norky84

First Team
It's the logic of a foul or say a handball anywhere else of the pitch apart from the penalty area is a foul.

That's what I was getting at.
I agree. Player passes the ball, gets tackled late, foul normally given. Player has a shot, gets tackled late, nothing given. A late tackle not getting the ball should be a foul at all times, unless the fouled team have possession of the ball and want to play on.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
OK... it happens. But I, for one, am happy that the bar is set a bit higher for a foul to be given in the penalty area.

For example, if there's a bit of a coming together in the middle of the park and both players end up on the turf, then I'm happy enough for the ref to give a foul based on the "balance of probabilities" - if he thinks one of the players was at fault. But if it's happened in the penalty area, I think he needs to be really really 100% sure.

Same with an innocuous shove out in the corner of a penalty area - Rules are Rules... but I'm happy for the ref to have some discretion - and let it go just a bit more than if it's out by the touch-line. To give a penalty is almost tantamount to awarding a goal.

The ref needs to be brave enough to give them... but also brave enough NOT to give them when he's not 100% sure. Drives me mad when someone like Ian Wright pontificates "if it's not a penalty, he needs to be booked for a dive". Rubbish. The ref needs to have had a good view and to be certain before he gives either.

Worthington

Manager
Sounds like a decent idea, though there would be a problem with footballers and ex footballers not actually knowing the laws of the game. The PSG manager was even saying it shouldn't have been given as the shot was off target.
I see what you're saying but that's what they would learn in their referee training. The bit they would have already is knowing the game. For example someone who has played the game will know when a player has gone in to hurt another player. Things like that todays referees seem oblivious to.

I liked VAR in the world cup being so stringent on shirt pulling and grappling in the box. That along with diving and the general cheating in general that goes on need to be dealt with as a matter of urgency.

Nice One.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I see what you're saying but that's what they would learn in their referee training. The bit they would have already is knowing the game. For example someone who has played the game will know when a player has gone in to hurt another player. Things like that todays referees seem oblivious to.

I liked VAR in the world cup being so stringent on shirt pulling and grappling in the box. That along with diving and the general cheating in general that goes on need to be dealt with as a matter of urgency.

Nice One.
Please try to avoid any positive words about VAR.

Thanks.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron

Nice One.
They do, unfortunately they'd still need to apply the laws. We already hear "he's not that type of player" for some after committing bad fouls.

Please try to avoid any positive words about VAR.

Thanks.
As I've stated many many times before VAR worked (sort of) in the World Cup because there were 6 VAR officials per match. It will be impossible to replicate the same coverage across Prem matches when there are 4 or 5 on at the same time.

Delaney

Reserve
It's the clear and obvious bit that's being ignored I think. VAR's a decent idea if it's only used to overturn decisions everyone in the stadium knows are wrong, the real howlers, as it is it's being used to overturn the decisions that those at home who've watched half a dozen replays reckon might be wrong to the detriment to the atmosphere in the stadium. They're choosing armchair fans before proper ones once again.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
The PSG defender has almost innocuously jumped/turned his back, presumably to avoid taking the ball straight in the mush, rather than gain any advantage. Dalot struck the ball as hard as he could from point blank range. The defenders back was already turned when the shot was taken. His arm is not outstretched, it is in a perfectly natural position.

The shot itself was sailing a mile wide. There were no appeals from the United players, other than a speculative attempt from Dalot. It was a ridiculous decision. Watching that gobshite Neymar's childlike tantrums was indeed hilarious.

I can't believe you're suddenly a stickler for the rules JD, having spent so long arguing uncompromisingly against the same rule book that clearly credits our own Lukas Nmecha with a goal at Rortherham ;).
Hes a secret Red Devil, you know the sort, if theyre playing youll find him in the pub ;)

Strongbow

Manager
It's the clear and obvious bit that's being ignored I think. VAR's a decent idea if it's only used to overturn decisions everyone in the stadium knows are wrong, the real howlers, as it is it's being used to overturn the decisions that those at home who've watched half a dozen replays reckon might be wrong to the detriment to the atmosphere in the stadium. They're choosing armchair fans before proper ones once again.
Nail on head .... for all the VAR supporters enjoy your 2 hour games in the future when the players really get the hang of appealing against every decision that doesn't go the way and influencing the ref 'to have a look' .... as for me when VAR hits Deepdale I'll stick to watching the watered down highlights on MOD/Bravo on a Sat/Sun night with the other armchair brigade.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
I completely agree, I've said all along that those who just watch games on TV will like VAR and those who attend matches in person won't.

I can see a shift in kick off times as well on Sundays to allow for 10 minutes added time per half, again good for tv companies (more time for adverts and chat) and for tv audiences (watching the drama unfold).