VAR 2019

LostinSpace

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Staff member
Patron
When VAR first came out, it was only supposed to correct clear and obvious mistakes. That was a great idea, England would’ve been awarded the equaliser against Germany and the hand of god goal would’ve been disallowed, possibly leading to Maradona being sent off.
But VAR is now ruining the game. 😡

Last edited:

Henrys Cat

Forum Patron
Patron
Following on from all the dodgy penalties awarded by this atrocious system, might as well just do away with the 90 mins of football and just have every match as a penalty shoot out.

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
The VAR people are seemingly advising the referees to check handballs on the monitors. Why? If the laws are clear, why does it need the referee to check the monitor and delay the game by minutes? The fact they’re abdicating responsibility suggests to me that either the VAR aren’t confident or happy about the application of the handball law, or it‘s too open to interpretation.

norky84

Advisor to the Owner
Another infuriating offside decision by VAR. It took 2 and a half minutes to overturn a decision and then disallow a goal for offside due to a sleeve. But ignored the fact the player was fouled.

Just read something they do in Holland. They use the same line technology, but the lines are 5cm. If the two lines are touching, it's the onfield officials call. If they're not touching they go off whatever decision needs to be made from that.

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
Another infuriating offside decision by VAR. It took 2 and a half minutes to overturn a decision and then disallow a goal for offside due to a sleeve. But ignored the fact the player was fouled.

Just read something they do in Holland. They use the same line technology, but the lines are 5cm. If the two lines are touching, it's the onfield officials call. If they're not touching they go off whatever decision needs to be made from that.

Very similar to umpires call in cricket. Football could learn a lot from how cricket has worked it‘s review system, it has evolved over the last couple of years to be much more effective than when it started.

norky84

Advisor to the Owner
Very similar to umpires call in cricket. Football could learn a lot from how cricket has worked it‘s review system, it has evolved over the last couple of years to be much more effective than when it started.
I've suggested the umpires call before. It could work in football.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
I've suggested the umpires call before. It could work in football.
It's a good point. Cricket allows for a margin of error, 50% of the ball hitting the stump. etc. Football seems to work on the principle of exact and perfect measurements, which is just silly.

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
The belated wave of disapproval of var is encouraging and hopefully it will be binned as currently there is no room for anything removing joy or ecstasy in this world. Its failures were obvious however and predicted by many on here and as such it should never had got past the pilot phase and into the Premier League.

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
^^ I guess you’re referring to the poll which indicated that 30% of fans think VAR had improved the game but 44% think it’s made it worse.
There is an age split- with VAR not hated as much in the 18-34 age group - but even of those, only 36% think it’s improved the game.

Korol

Football Expert
Patron
^^ I guess you’re referring to the poll which indicated that 30% of fans think VAR had improved the game but 44% think it’s made it worse.
There is an age split- with VAR not hated as much in the 18-34 age group - but even of those, only 36% think it’s improved the game.
Interesting poll results.

I'd be very interested to see a poll conducted solely involving fans who actually attend the games. Cannot for the life of me see the approval rate being anything over 10%.

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Interesting poll results.

I'd be very interested to see a poll conducted solely involving fans who actually attend the games. Cannot for the life of me see the approval rate being anything over 10%.

It says something like “pollster interviewed online >4000 people and >2000 of those were qualified as football supporters for the purposes of the survey” But I haven’t looked into what criteria they used for that - surely not restricted to those who attend games. I guess they must have collected those data.

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
Reports today say that David Elleray believes VAR is here to stay but that the law making body think that it will take a decade to perfect :rolleyes:
Elleray says that too many interventions in the Premier League are being made when no serious and clear errors have been commited.
He also thinks the new handball rule is being interpreted too rigidly leading to too many penalties.
The toe nail type offsides are to remain though which is a bone of contention for me. They are taking far too long to make. If someone is offside it needs to be determined quickly
Don't think I would like it at Deepdale but I could see the point of it being used in relation to the penalty West Brom got last season for instance.

Strongbow

Forum Patron
Patron
Reports today say that David Elleray believes VAR is here to stay but that the law making body think that it will take a decade to perfect :rolleyes:
Elleray says that too many interventions in the Premier League are being made when no serious and clear errors have been commited.
He also thinks the new handball rule is being interpreted too rigidly leading to too many penalties.
The toe nail type offsides are to remain though which is a bone of contention for me. They are taking far too long to make. If someone is offside it needs to be determined quickly
Don't think I would like it at Deepdale but I could see the point of it being used in relation to the penalty West Brom got last season for instance.

Sad to hear and hope he is wrong tbh, ruining the game and hopefully more senior and respected players like Henderson @ Liverpool will be listened too when he says it's ruining the game as a spectacle.

Maybe he's thinking 'jobs for the boys' when the old legs finally give up.

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
Sad to hear and hope he is wrong tbh, ruining the game and hopefully more senior and respected players like Henderson @ Liverpool will be listened too when he says it's ruining the game as a spectacle.

Maybe he's thinking 'jobs for the boys' when the old legs finally give up.
The rhetoric from the referees and law makers seems to be that it is the implementation that needs fine tuning rather than VAR being wrong in principle.

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
The rhetoric from the referees and law makers seems to be that it is the implementation that needs fine tuning rather than VAR being wrong in principle.

Its analogous to saying the lockdown would work fine if only there was much improved compliance by the public. In framing any policy you need to recognise reality. For VAR the reality is that humans are applying and interpreting the technology, and after trialling, theyve proven thst they are unable to apply it consistently without wrecking the essence of the game. Bin it.

Strongbow

Forum Patron
Patron
Its analogous to saying the lockdown would work fine if only there was much improved compliance by the public. In framing any policy you need to recognise reality. For VAR the reality is that humans are applying and interpreting the technology, and after trialling, theyve proven thst they are unable to apply it consistently without wrecking the essence of the game. Bin it.

Only understood the last bit Petey, loads of big words in there but think I agree (y)

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Another fine day in VAR land.

Werner 95% onside... ultimately given off. But more to the point, Werner had streaked free of the defence, beat the keepers for a critical goal at Liverpool... and then can't decide if he should celebrate. As it happens, he was adjudged offside by the an armpit (ridiculous) - but whether he'd been given on or off, it was another clear illustration of how the joy of goalscoring is being sucked out of the game.

And the Fulham disallowed goal because it fell to the scorer off a completely inadvertent teammate's elbow. Nowy that goalscorer DID run off in joy... and only hauled back best part of a minute later.