VAR 2019

pne4ever

Manager
I've long advocated that the offside stance should shift to the "Daylight" rule for the attacking team. Surely we all want to see goals & the advantage based on attack?
Absolutely, this is how var is used in MLS. There must be complete daylight between the players for it to be ruled offside.
Also strange how FIFA allow different federations to interp the rules in different ways 🤔

cpnend

Advisor to the Owner
I’ve just been listening to a Brighton fan on a podcast and he said that, (because of VAR), they are the only team to have ever conceded a goal, after the final whistle.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Some seriously bad officiating and VAR-ing taking place in the Prem games tonight. Chelsea denied a clear penalty. Referee poor in City game too with a Brighton player getting away with a knee height challenge. Cancelo red card debatable.

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Not seen those. But I did just see Werner do a “Tom Bayliss” and the officials missed him handle it in from a yard. An easy one for the VAR ref.

Werner really lacks all composure in front of goal. Shocking. Unlike Bayliss who faultlessly slightly overran the ball by busting a gut to get into the box, Werner was almost stationary at the back stick and had plenty of time to watch it onto his nut and into an open goal. But he must have panicked and ended up having to use his arm.

Shocking play. Maybe even a yellow card offence because it was more than just hitting him.

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Was the high tackle a defo red when you watch the action? (I only say this because still photos can be very misleading sometimes).
That kick on Werner was 100 time more of a pen than some of the soft ones we see. Without VAR, I wouldn’t really mind it not being given. Clearly unintentional but they get given nowadays.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Was the high tackle a defo red when you watch the action? (I only say this because still photos can be very misleading sometimes).
That kick on Werner was 100 time more of a pen than some of the soft ones we see. Without VAR, I wouldn’t really mind it not being given. Clearly unintentional but they get given nowadays.
Intention isn’t really anything to do with it though. Most fouls aren’t intentional, they are still fouls.

I agree I don’t think the outrage would be there as much without VAR but I think fans rightly find it absurd that professional referees look at these things on a screen over and over again and still get it wrong.

The tackle on Gundogan was high and late. That said Brighton fully deserved their win to be fair.

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Intention isn’t really anything to do with it though. Most fouls aren’t intentional, they are still fouls.

I know what you mean. Just read the wording of Law 12. It says it’s a pen if the kick is “considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force”

I would say that something has very significantly changed since the 80s. Either the word ‘careless’ has been inserted- or more likely it’s always been there, and the interpretation of careless has changed a lot.

When I played proper football, mainly up to around 1990, intention was very important for fouls as well as handball. Werner’s foot appeared “from nowhere” just as the defender was already swinging his leg and I am certain that he fully expected to be kicking the ball. Would never have been a pen - and maybe that was also the judgement tonight? Still surprised VAR didn’t give it though.

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Saw MoTD. Cancelo should never have been sent off. Pathetic.

And with regard the winning penalty that Chelsea got against Leicester - also pathetic. Werner threw himself to the ground in ‘pain’ - should be booked for simulation. OK there was minimal minimal contact but it’s a pile of shite when teams work their socks off all night and win or lose on such minor brushes of leg on leg.

I know what you mean. Just read the wording of Law 12. It says it’s a pen if the kick is “considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force”

I would say that something has very significantly changed since the 80s. Either the word ‘careless’ has been inserted- or more likely it’s always been there, and the interpretation of careless has changed a lot.

When I played proper football, mainly up to around 1990, intention was very important for fouls as well as handball. Werner’s foot appeared “from nowhere” just as the defender was already swinging his leg and I am certain that he fully expected to be kicking the ball. Would never have been a pen -.........
Most of your observations are correct. Not wishing to be disrespectful... it should be pointed out that referring to the laws from the 80s/90s is something a lot of supporters do. The laws have been amended/changed/updated and downright re-written multiple times since then, especially concerning fouls and "unlawful" contact. "Intention" relating to fouling an opponent went out long ago, relating to hand-ball not quite so long ago, but well in the past nonetheless. It concerns me as well as you for all that though.🤔