PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

VAR 2019

Another fine day in VAR land.

Werner 95% onside... ultimately given off. But more to the point, Werner had streaked free of the defence, beat the keepers for a critical goal at Liverpool... and then can't decide if he should celebrate. As it happens, he was adjudged offside by the an armpit (ridiculous) - but whether he'd been given on or off, it was another clear illustration of how the joy of goalscoring is being sucked out of the game.

And the Fulham disallowed goal because it fell to the scorer off a completely inadvertent teammate's elbow. Nowy that goalscorer DID run off in joy... and only hauled back best part of a minute later.
I’ve said this before, marginal decisions should be left on field. VAR should be used only to correct clear and obvious mistakes.

It's not really VAR thats the major issue. It's the law makers and the idiots that interpret it that is the issue. This week - Jagielka sending off, close decision, Red Card..... Chelseas goal - Close Decision - Ruled out for offside by millimetres . What happened to benefit of doubt to the attacking team & a defender in a close decision to ensure that 22 men stay on the pitch? It is killing the game & it is the officials & their interpretation that is responsible. PGMOL & the officials ( Never will be footballers & wannabe traffic wardens) currently have for too much influence & a profile in the game. They are supposed to be in the background facilitating. In fact, why does an organisation like PGMOL even exist? The game is supposed to be about two competitive teams, goals & entertainment. Officials are anti all of this. The football authorities need to take control back from these attention seeking charlatans

It's not really VAR thats the major issue. It's the law makers and the idiots that interpret it that is the issue. This week - Jagielka sending off, close decision, Red Card..... Chelseas goal - Close Decision - Ruled out for offside by millimetres . What happened to benefit of doubt to the attacking team & a defender in a close decision to ensure that 22 men stay on the pitch? It is killing the game & it is the officials & their interpretation that is responsible. PGMOL & the officials ( Never will be footballers & wannabe traffic wardens) currently have for too much influence & a profile in the game. They are supposed to be in the background facilitating. In fact, why does an organisation like PGMOL even exist? The game is supposed to be about two competitive teams, goals & entertainment. Officials are anti all of this. The football authorities need to take control back from these attention seeking charlatans
I've no problem with the offside things as it is black and white. You are either on or off.

It's the other bits I'm not keen on. They talk about clear and obvious then make a decision based on something slowed down by about 1000% if you have to slow motion something to see something wrong then it isnt clear and obvious

I've no problem with the offside things as it is black and white. You are either on or off.

It's the other bits I'm not keen on. They talk about clear and obvious then make a decision based on something slowed down by about 1000% if you have to slow motion something to see something wrong then it isnt clear and obvious
I don’t even think the offside analysis is accurate though. I don’t believe they can accurately determine when the footage should be paused - this just seems to be assumed to be a given by many. Never see them drawing lines for when the ball has left the foot, etc. The time taken to determine marginal offside decisions takes away more than it adds to the game.

I've a problem with offsides like Werners last night. Someone drawing a line from where they think it should be drawn from on an arm isn't 100% accurate.

The rule change is ridiculous. A player points where they want the ball played, and part of their arm can be given as off side. It's madness. The entire arm needs to go back as being handball.

I've said it before, I prefer how the Dutch decide offsides. They allow a margin of error. Both players have a line that equals 5cm. If the lines touch, you stick with the onfield decision no matter what they call. If there's a gap only then can it be changed.

I've long advocated that the offside stance should shift to the "Daylight" rule for the attacking team. Surely we all want to see goals & the advantage based on attack?

Going to be trialed in China. It's an interesting idea. Any part of the attacking players body that he can score, can be in line with the defender. So attacking players left foot might be offside by a yard, but right foot in line so it would be onside. A lot less goals would be cancelled.

Going to be trialed in China. It's an interesting idea. Any part of the attacking players body that he can score, can be in line with the defender. So attacking players left foot might be offside by a yard, but right foot in line so it would be onside. A lot less goals would be cancelled.
Interesting!
Personally i believe that as its 'Foot Ball' it should only be the feet that dictates offside or not and not any other part of the body.

Interesting!
Personally i believe that as its 'Foot Ball' it should only be the feet that dictates offside or not and not any other part of the body.
I would guess that more often than not the attacking player will be running towards the opposition goal. Which most of the time would mean a foot being the furthest back part of the body

Aye, but who’d want to be a linesman trying to work that out in a split second. The rule needs to simplified not made even more complicated.

I see that they are modifying the handball rule again for next season. From then, an accidental handball that assists another player to score will not be called handball (like the Fulham one this week). It will still be handball if the ball ricochets onto an attacker's arm before he himself puts it into the net. Clearly they realise the shear folly of their previous change, but don't have the courage to backtrack completely!

Last edited:
I see that they are modifying the handball rule again for next season. From then, an accidental handball that assists another player to score will not be called handball (like the Fulham one this week). It will still be handball if the ball ricochets onto an attacker's arm before he himself puts it into the net. Clearly they realise the follow of their previous change, but don't have the courage to backtrack completely!
What a complete load of bollocks.
(The rules in general, not your post).

By that reckoning, a player could be well clear but if his trailing ankle is onside it’s ok.
They always say that it’s only the parts of the body that you can legally score with that count - Head, Feet, knee, leg, ankle , bum shoulder etc

They always say that it’s only the parts of the body that you can legally score with that count - Head, Feet, knee, leg, ankle , bum shoulder etc
That’s just about everything sticks out! :)
.....sensible replies only please!

By that reckoning, a player could be well clear but if his trailing ankle is onside it’s ok.
True.
But as the offside law needs simplifying that too me would be ok.
I would rather see proper goals being scored and not disallowed for mere technicalities of body part positioning.
Might make them less likely to cheat to get rubbish penalty decisions (altough probably not).