Venezuela

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
I don't think elections can be considered fair when most of the opposition candidates are either banned, exiled or imprisoned. Nothing new about it of course, it's straight from the playbook of many dictators and wannabe despots.
Banned or boycotted it?

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Some boycotted, most banned or exiled
surely only Henrique Capriles was barred and wasnt that for receiving american money for his prior election campaign?

As a result the main opposition party then boycotted.

PNEPPC

First Team
surely only Henrique Capriles was barred and wasnt that for receiving american money for his prior election campaign?

As a result the main opposition party then boycotted.
Here's a list of just some: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-factbox/factbox-venezuelas-jailed-exiled-or-barred-opposition-politicians-idUSKCN1G31WU

As for Capriles, I don't know if he's innocent or guilty, but I've seen over here the lengths the state will go to to silence opposition, so I'd be a bit dubious.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
an interesting list of reasons

inciting violence/terrorism?

thereby lies the problem, so hard to find balanced reporting on the issues. al Jazeira has some articles but sadly not too many.

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
I don't think elections can be considered fair when most of the opposition candidates are either banned, exiled or imprisoned. Nothing new about it of course, it's straight from the playbook of many dictators and wannabe despots.
A fair point - I am not a fan of Maduro by any stretch of the imagination. I was more referring to Jeremy Hunt's accusation of ballot box stuffing - that is very difficult to do with the Venezuelan voting system.

Still, my point stands. I am not interested in getting involved in yet another attempted regime change - we have messed up enough countries already and created far more problems than we solved. Especially when Trump and the particularly odious Pence and Bolton are pushing for it - I am pretty certain that it is not to help the average Venezuelan.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
A fair point - I am not a fan of Maduro by any stretch of the imagination. I was more referring to Jeremy Hunt's accusation of ballot box stuffing - that is very difficult to do with the Venezuelan voting system.

Still, my point stands. I am not interested in getting involved in yet another attempted regime change - we have messed up enough countries already and created far more problems than we solved. Especially when Trump and the particularly odious Pence and Bolton are pushing for it - I am pretty certain that it is not to help the average Venezuelan.

The Crux. ... (y)

sliper

Manager

It's a sad fact that the "solution" to the problem is often as bad or even worse than the original problem

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
It's a sad fact that the "solution" to the problem is often as bad or even worse than the original problem
Depends what the problem is, I suppose. To most normal folk, it would be that the poorest Venezuelans are suffering, so how can we help?

To those in power, it is, too often, how can we put people in power who will support our interests and help us make money? Or, how can we keep the Cold War going? :D

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
Not sure if I've seen it mentioned on here but while the West thought that Maduro was losing they confirmed that the voting was legal with no issues. It was only when they realised he had won that it became a problem.

The Americans just want a patsy in so they can get access to the oil without having to pay shit loads to the government. It's no different than what they did with Batista in Cuba and many many others over the years

sliper

Manager
It takes a special type of incompetence to screw up a country with the largest oil reserves in the world

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
It takes a special type of incompetence to screw up a country with the largest oil reserves in the world
Funny how most countries with oil seem to do exactly though, isnt it?

Always us and america to help them out though, were good like that :)

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
Funny how most countries with oil seem to do exactly though, isnt it?

Always us and america to help them out though, were good like that :)
I'd love to know if they are actually are screwed. I'm fairly certain they were doing really well but their refusal to trade oil in dollars just led to more and more sanctions by the US and restricted which countries they could trade with.

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Not sure if I've seen it mentioned on here but while the West thought that Maduro was losing they confirmed that the voting was legal with no issues. It was only when they realised he had won that it became a problem.

The Americans just want a patsy in so they can get access to the oil without having to pay shit loads to the government. It's no different than what they did with Batista in Cuba and many many others over the years
The CIA's history in that part of the world is not a good one - but, it will be different this time. Honest.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Meanwhile from CNN

Yet when the same scene is looked at a little more closer yu see that folk are dressed in predominately red, supporting Maduro.

PNEPPC

First Team
I'd love to know if they are actually are screwed. I'm fairly certain they were doing really well but their refusal to trade oil in dollars just led to more and more sanctions by the US and restricted which countries they could trade with.
It was only last September they finished trading in dollars and their economy was already well and truly Zimbabwed by then. Interesting to see that after ditching the dollar they opted for the Euro! That should lose them a bit of support on this site.

As an aside, there's somewhere between 3-4 million people (over 10%) that have left Venezuela in the last few years as the situation has deteriorated. With Colombia taking over 1,000,000 and Peru over 500,00 and neither being wealthy countries. It makes an interesting comparison with the xenophobic attitude of some European countries recently.