Venezuela

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Have to say that the BBC has been pretty good with its coverage from what I have seen - they are showing that there are two sides to the story.

My missus went to Venezuela just after the 2002 coup attempt for her 'once in a lifetime' holiday. She loved it, and going by the photos and the stories she told, it's a stunningly beautiful country with lovely people.

At that time, she found that most people she spoke to supported Chavez and what he was trying to do, even if they were wary - his heart was in the right place and he genuinely tried to help the poorest who had, for so long, suffered under an elite class intent only on enriching themselves at the expense of others. Didn't always make good decisions or do the right thing, but he was 'their' president.

I think it's fair to say that, towards the end, like so many revolutionaries, he started becoming like the people he opposed.

Never took to Maduro, although it is interesting to see that the country is split along the same lines - the wealthy wanting someone who will look after their interests, the poorest out in support of Maduro because they fear what will happen next if a US-backed president seizes power.

A bloody mess, sadly.

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Don't know if you ever saw this, Raef, but this was a very interesting documentary we watched way back when - one of the reasons the missus decided to go there (that, alongside the diverse nature and Angel Falls):

Not great quality - you might find something better.

It does look like the old playbook is being dusted off! :)