Verbal Agreement for Iversen to return (Lancs Live)

OP
JK

JK

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Head Honcho
Staff member
Patron
I thought he was playing superbly at the time of his injury. In fact, I'm fairly certain he was also being linked with a move to West Ham at the time.

Sadly folk prefer to focus on the negatives, and his dip in form - which was over 18 months ago, and he'd long since recovered from at the time of his injury.

The previous season was a difficult one for him IMHO and he was making simple things look difficult. It probably wasnt helped that he had zero competition.

However he was playing the best he had done prior to his injury.

Iversen however is a different level to Declan. He just provides confidence and a real presence that you know he will do a good job. I can only think of one mistake in the whole of his time with us, this despite playing behind a different back four/five every match under Neil.

He reminds me of Carlo Nash.

He will only get better and getting him back next season is fantastic news.

Declan will no doubt be inspired to fight for his place in the side and will need to take his chance in Cups or any games Daniel misses.

I genuinely think Iversen will gain us a fair amount of points on his own next season, I really rate him.

sf

Forum Patron
Patron
Rudd improved massively but wasn't he still one of the poorest in the league, statistically last season? In terms of shots faced etc? Sure I read that.

Iversen is miles above him.

Pne_Gaz

Forum Patron
Patron
I thought he was playing superbly at the time of his injury. In fact, I'm fairly certain he was also being linked with a move to West Ham at the time.

Sadly folk prefer to focus on the negatives, and his dip in form - which was over 18 months ago, and he'd long since recovered from at the time of his injury.
Wasn't this only because Darren Randolph's medical wasn't going as expected and he was a cheap option? Let's face it, he'd have never played for them. One of those prem keepers that sit on the bench for a wage

pne1881

Advisor to the Owner
The previous season was a difficult one for him IMHO and he was making simple things look difficult. It probably wasnt helped that he had zero competition.

However he was playing the best he had done prior to his injury.

Iversen however is a different level to Declan. He just provides confidence and a real presence that you know he will do a good job. I can only think of one mistake in the whole of his time with us, this despite playing behind a different back four/five every match under Neil.

He reminds me of Carlo Nash.

He will only get better and getting him back next season is fantastic news.

Declan will no doubt be inspired to fight for his place in the side and will need to take his chance in Cups or any games Daniel misses.

I genuinely think Iversen will gain us a fair amount of points on his own next season, I really rate him.

Good post.

Folk forget the bit highlighted in bold.

There's no doubt Iversen (should he sign) is an upgrade on Rudd.

Rudd is what he is - a solid enough Championship keeper & the reality is that's the level we are at.

HunterLionheart

Forum Patron
Patron
There was a big improvement under Gould though...
Gould coming in helped the command of his area aspect of his game that had plagued him. He went from being someone we needed to replace ASAP to a decent keeper at this level, which is a good job for sure. I just think it's harsh to throw a coach under the bus for Rudd's own flaws when we signed him as an established first team 'keeper, not a young lad in need of polish.

PNE Plungy

Manager
Easier to throw a young coach under the bus than just admit Rudd isn't a great keeper? He's an adequate one at this level at best, and a liability when he's making mistakes.
Incredibly harsh that. Rudd was excellent in his initial loan spell and almost certainly the first name on the team sheet prior to his injury. He has been superb this season.

There is no doubt in my mind that Iverson is a better keeper, but to dumb down Rudd is totally unfair.

Should Iverson not return for whatever reason, I wouldn't be at all worried in a fully fit Rudd taking our number 1 spot again.

HunterLionheart

Forum Patron
Patron
Incredibly harsh that. Rudd was excellent in his initial loan spell and almost certainly the first name on the team sheet prior to his injury. He has been superb this season.

There is no doubt in my mind that Iverson is a better keeper, but to dumb down Rudd is totally unfair.

Should Iverson not return for whatever reason, I wouldn't be at all worried in a fully fit Rudd taking our number 1 spot again.

He simply wasn't close to 'superb'. Like... there's a reason why a good but not world class Iversen looked miles better than him. He's average at best, and he's not always at his best.

He was the first name on the team sheet but only because Ripley is fucking hopeless.

PNE Plungy

Manager
He simply wasn't close to 'superb'. Like... there's a reason why a good but not world class Iversen looked miles better than him. He's average at best, and he's not always at his best.

He was the first name on the team sheet but only because Ripley is fucking hopeless.
Fair enough.

Though I still think you're finding reason to criticise when there's no justification for it based on the last 12 months.

Doyler

Manager
Easier to throw a young coach under the bus than just admit Rudd isn't a great keeper? He's an adequate one at this level at best, and a liability when he's making mistakes.
Rudd did improve but still had one of the lowest save rates in the entire division last season. As harsh as it sounds, his injury was a blessing in disguise.

It will be good to have at least a competent keeper as back up next season, though.

Pne_Gaz

Forum Patron
Patron
Fair enough.

Though I still think you're finding reason to criticise when there's no justification for it based on the last 12 months.
Rudd is, at best, a bottom 6 team keeper. Last year his improvement still put him at one of the worst in the league statistically. I still think he's a decent back up, he'll probably be one of the more reliable back ups in that position we've had in years actually. That being said, we must absolutely look for better if we want to do better than relying on what can only be called a miraculous upturn in form to keep us away from the danger zone. We have got to start looking beyond players like Rudd, Rafferty, Lindsay, Stockley etc if we're actually wanting to actively improve and avoid the inevitable fall back to League 1.

JohnPNE

Advisor to the Owner
Rudd is, at best, a bottom 6 team keeper. Last year his improvement still put him at one of the worst in the league statistically. I still think he's a decent back up, he'll probably be one of the more reliable back ups in that position we've had in years actually. That being said, we must absolutely look for better if we want to do better than relying on what can only be called a miraculous upturn in form to keep us away from the danger zone. We have got to start looking beyond players like Rudd, Rafferty, Lindsay, Stockley etc if we're actually wanting to actively improve and avoid the inevitable fall back to League 1.

I disagree. According to these stats he was one of the worst at shot stopping but apparently one of the best at coming out and commanding his area which according to the fans is his weakness.

He still was the keeper that had us challenging for the play off spot the season before. Not Bad for a ‘bottom six’ keeper. And everybody knows that the reason we didn’t finish in the top six wasn’t because of Rudd. It was because we didn’t have a half decent striker up front.

JohnPNE

Advisor to the Owner
Any keeper is a liability when making mistakes.

But I don’t think anyone can argue that there was a huge improvement when Gould came in and this wasn’t a coincidence.

Cudworth may be a nice lad but when you have a former keeper with literally zero decent playing experience as a coach in an Important position questions have got to be asked. Going from Alan Kelly to cudworth is like replacing Alex Ferguson with someone like graham Westley the gap is that big in terms of playing experience.

Bringing in Gould and Rudd improving was always going to happen as he had a decent career and had experience working as a coach under Tony Pullis.