PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Verbal Agreement for Iversen to return (Lancs Live)

Danny Ward, first choice for Wales - one of the best penalty saving goalies around

Still think there is at least 2-3 more years of loans for Iversen before he gets pulled into the picture for our number 1

Kasper is as good as ever and Ward has just signed a new 4 year deal
That’s good news for North End....

I agree.

Rudd was looking as good as he ever has before he got injured & if Iversen returns he will be on the bench you would presume.

Not great for him.
There's no reason for either to be benched. Both good keepers. Both need to remain professional, push eachother in training and earn the number 1. I think Iversen edges him to be fair.

I agree.

Rudd was looking as good as he ever has before he got injured & if Iversen returns he will be on the bench you would presume.

Not great for him.
His "as good as ever" put him as one of the worst 'keepers in the league last year, not great for him but certainly great for us

Get both back for pre-season and let them duke it out for the gloves in training. Win-win! Both will be up for the fight.

Iversen has been super-solid but Dec has been great for us at times. Let them start with a clean slate.

Fair enough If that's what the stats say. Pretty amazed by that TBH.
I think people’s views are clouded by his improvement, as he did get better under Gould. Before that he was dreadful.

He’s an average Championship keeper. I like the guy but wouldn’t be upset if he left.

Rudd was actually playing well before he got injured in the season just gone. Yes Iversen is a step up in quality but had Rudd not got injured there would have been no need to bring someone in as a replacement for him.

He'd gotten better, but that's not saying much. Point is that if we have Iversen, a good Championship keeper, it's noticeably and significantly better than Rudd- Rudd will have to settle for the bench.

If we can enter next season with Iversen and Rudd as our goalkeeping resources with Hudson as further back-up the we should be OK in that department.

Really?

Dearie me.
Worst stat for me from a certain twitter thread was that he was like in the bottom 3/4 of goalkeepers that had let in the easiest shots to save, think Rudd was similarly near the top of keepers that faced the easiest shots in general too iirc

First, absolutely delighted if we start the season with Iversen & Rudd on the books.
Real competition between the ‘keepers is vital, in terms of their personal development. As it is between any position on the pitch; keeps all on their toes/progressing. Gives an acceptable level of cover for injury/loss of form.
Equal start for all in pre-season, if Rudd doesn’t start, even if it’s over the whole season, he’ll be training with an exceptionally skilled partner, will learn, develop & should become a better ‘keeper for the experience. He has already shown he is capable of improvement under Gould.
Which may result in him being even better placed to become PNE number one next season if Iversen finds his career path moved elsewhere by Leicester next season.
Short term pain……
More interested in the Euros & health and performances of certain other ‘keepers now.
Iversen isn’t “ours” for next season yet, but if he is, I think he, PNE and Rudd will all be in a better place for the experience.

Worst stat for me from a certain twitter thread was that he was like in the bottom 3/4 of goalkeepers that had let in the easiest shots to save, think Rudd was similarly near the top of keepers that faced the easiest shots in general too iirc

I hope it’s not just me who has a degree of scepticism about what exactly constitutes an easy shot to save.

Who decides?

What’s taken into account?

The position of the sun? Whether the keeper’s view was obscured? The quality of the strike? The nature of the move? The positioning of other defenders? The finishing ability of the opposition player? The wind? The state of the playing surface?

I hope it’s not just me who has a degree of scepticism about what exactly constitutes an easy shot to save.

Who decides?

What’s taken into account?

The position of the sun? Whether the keeper’s view was obscured? The quality of the strike? The nature of the move? The positioning of other defenders? The finishing ability of the opposition player? The wind? The state of the playing surface?
Obviously take any stat that you don't know the exact parameters of, but I'd image it'd incorporate keeper view, speed/power of the ball, relative position of keeper and the ball (i.e. if it's down his throat or the ball is going top left while keeper is far right) etc etc. For what it's worth, he got pretty average protection but that twitter thread made grim reading for all but one thing we all thought he was bad at, coming off his line and claiming the ball.

I'll link to the twitter thread for your own perusal but it still doesn't look good for him even if you take it with a big pinch of salt

There's no doubt Iversen is a step up in quality.

Folk moan at Rudd when he's not performing & moan when he improves.
I thought he was playing superbly at the time of his injury. In fact, I'm fairly certain he was also being linked with a move to West Ham at the time.

Sadly folk prefer to focus on the negatives, and his dip in form - which was over 18 months ago, and he'd long since recovered from at the time of his injury.