Vote of No Confidence

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
Corbyn has just confirmed that he has tabled a vote of no confidence in the government. It is to be debated tomorrow.

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
northender1881;n3423063 said:
So if Parliament votes to say no confidence, May must resign immediately?
The Government will be dissolved and 25 days later there will be a GE

mapping

Forum Patron
Patron
northender1881;n3423063 said:
So if Parliament votes to say no confidence, May must resign immediately?
Surely this is not going to happen , first the tories would be voting themselves out and the dup would have to vote labour , it's a non stater

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
mapping;n3423069 said:
Surely this is not going to happen , first the tories would be voting themselves out and the dup would have to vote labour , it's a non stater
My understanding of this is that if any Tories vote against themselves they will be removed from the party.

If the Tories are confident that they can win a GE there may be some work done to encourage the DUP to vote against them as it will get rid of May and if Corbyn were to lose another GE he would be gone too.

You would expect them to win the vote tomorrow but I honestly don't know how May can continue as PM.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
she will probably win the NC vote however she will also know that there is no way any progress will be made that doesnt involve all sections of Parliament. We should get,now, what it should have been right from day one. A cross party working party to progress this forward.

Ive said that from day one, no way should Brexit ever have been done in the "Ideological," manner that the Tories attempted to do. Its way to big a deal for that crap.

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
raefil;n3423083 said:
she will probably win the NC vote however she will also know that there is no way any progress will be made that doesnt involve all sections of Parliament. We should get,now, what it should have been right from day one. A cross party working party to progress this forward.

Ive said that from day one, no way should Brexit ever have been done in the "Ideological," manner that the Tories attempted to do. Its way to big a deal for that crap.
Agree entirely. Should have been a "wartime coalition" from the start. There should have been a cross-party Brexit team working towards the best deal.

Something of this size is bigger than simple bi-partizan politics and the fact that they couldn't see that shows just how far removed from reality the Tories are.

Winkytinky

Youth Team
I don't expect they'll lose the vote but it'll be quite ironic that those who don't think she's fit to lead the Conservative party and voted against her the other month will vote to keep her running the country so she's not fit to lead their party but the countrys got to suffer her.

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
Winkytinky;n3423088 said:
I don't expect they'll lose the vote but it'll be quite ironic that those who don't think she's fit to lead the Conservative party and voted against her the other month will vote to keep her running the country so she's not fit to lead their party but the countrys got to suffer her.
Yet again goes to highlight the ridiculous parliamentary system in this country

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
paddysr;n3423092 said:
If we had true PR ( fat chance ) there might even have been a chance of more parties springing up and offering wider choices.... But I'm afraid with this two way stitch up why would anyone even bother?..Fraid we're stuck with it forever unless there's electoral reform..har de har

chorleythehord

Forum Patron
Patron
paddysr;n3423086 said:
Agree entirely. Should have been a "wartime coalition" from the start. There should have been a cross-party Brexit team working towards the best deal.

Something of this size is bigger than simple bi-partizan politics and the fact that they couldn't see that shows just how far removed from reality the Tories are.
I think if you check back about 18 months you will find there was an invitation from the government to create some form of cross party Working party to deliver Brexit that was declined by Corbyn.

There are some some people who are staunch Brexiteers who would be prepared to go no deal if that is what it takes , and I am one of them

There are some people who believe the May deal was an acceptable ,if not ideal, solution and is a reasonable compromise given the 52/48 split. I understand this position but I don’t agree with it.

There are some people who are staunch remainers who simply want to overturn the referendum result. I respect them and their democratic right to campaign this way, but I disagree with them.

Then there are those that that either don’t really give a toss either way over Brexit, or are disingenuous in their views, and are simply using the Brexit Impasse to create political capital for themselves. Those are the people that I utterly despise. The lowest of the low.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
chorleythehord;n3423127 said:
I think if you check back about 18 months you will find there was an invitation from the government to create some form of cross party Working party to deliver Brexit that was declined by Corbyn.

There are some some people who are staunch Brexiteers who would be prepared to go no deal if that is what it takes , and I am one of them

There are some people who believe the May deal was an acceptable ,if not ideal, solution and is a reasonable compromise given the 52/48 split. I understand this position but I don’t agree with it.

There are some people who are staunch remainers who simply want to overturn the referendum result. I respect them and their democratic right to campaign this way, but I disagree with them.

Then there are those that that either don’t really give a toss either way over Brexit, or are disingenuous in their views, and are simply using the Brexit Impasse to create political capital for themselves. Those are the people that I utterly despise. The lowest of the low.
Who do you think is out to make political capital out of this shambles (as per your last paragraph). I'm genuinely interested btw

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
fire away, inform us all of this wisdom of yours

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
PNEESSEX;n3423134 said:
Who do you think is out to make political capital out of this shambles (as per your last paragraph). I'm genuinely interested btw
May for a start......

paddysr;n3423092 said:
I would say the problem is more the way party leaders are elected.

We would have much better leaders if we used a system like in the US where every registrered voter chooses which party they support and then votes for the leader of that party. That leader then remains in place for the whole 5 year term of parliament.

For certain it would eliminate the internal plotting by MPs if they knew they couldn't change leader during the term of a parliament and the leader could get on with governing rather than managing internal party politics.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron

ALL MP's ? :)

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
paddysr;n3423068 said:
The Government will be dissolved and 25 days later there will be a GE
Is it really only 25 days? That would seem impossible to select candidates (presuming that many constituencies have not yet done that), agree manifestos, get literature printed, get campaigning. It would certainly be a hell of a whirlwind.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
beagleman;n3423070 said:
Turkeys dont vote for Christmas. None starter.
I agree that the turkeys will probably not vote for Christmas, but I don't agree it's a non-starter. This is such an earth-shattering defeat, I would not completely rule out a shock.

norfolk white

Staff member
Patron
Regardless;n3423184 said:
Is it really only 25 days? That would seem impossible to select candidates (presuming that many constituencies have not yet done that), agree manifestos, get literature printed, get campaigning. It would certainly be a hell of a whirlwind.
I thought it was 6 weeks campaigning before an election