Vote of No Confidence

paddysr

Staff member
Patron
kbd_pne;n3423399 said:
When you party you support are out of power, it’s very easy to say the government should be gifting them power and a big say. If the Tories were in opposition for Brexit, I doubt you’d be saying that they need to be involved in negotiations.

It would be difficult for Labour to be very involved anyway, given that they don’t have much of a policy on Brexit.

Also, working together with the Tories as well would hinder how much they could oppose their flagship policy. All well and good saying everyone should work together, but politics in this country is probably just too partisan for that.
I mostly mean in reference to the Brexit issue as opposed to government as a whole. I'd have said the same if Labour were in charge this is something that needed all parts of society representing

paddysr;n3423243 said:
Was going to say isn't that how they have ended up stuck with Trump?
Unfortunately the system in the US is dominated by money (particularly the Republicans), you need $$$$millions of backing before you can effectively run. If you had a system where the nominees were proposed by other MPs (or similar) the public would get a choice of which faction of a party they preferred.

kbd_pne;n3423399 said:
When you party you support are out of power, it’s very easy to say the government should be gifting them power and a big say. If the Tories were in opposition for Brexit, I doubt you’d be saying that they need to be involved in negotiations.

It would be difficult for Labour to be very involved anyway, given that they don’t have much of a policy on Brexit.

Also, working together with the Tories as well would hinder how much they could oppose their flagship policy. All well and good saying everyone should work together, but politics in this country is probably just too partisan for that.
There has been talk of a coalition of cross party MPs proposing legislation that would take legislative power away from 'the government' and give it to parliament. I assume that this is a pretty big group of centrist Labour, Conservative,Liberal & SNP. This shows that members of different parties are prepared to work together.

Currently, there is often collaboration and co-operation on parliamentary committees and similar, cross party MPs working together to propose policy, etc.

kbd_pne

First Team
paddysr;n3423405 said:
I mostly mean in reference to the Brexit issue as opposed to government as a whole. I'd have said the same if Labour were in charge this is something that needed all parts of society representing
All parts of society were represented and given a voice when they were given the chance to vote in a once-in-a-generation referendum, and referendum which was passed through parliament. A decision was made.

They are being let down by both the government and parliament as a whole too. Some of the parliamentary tactics are rather obvious, delay, frustrate, etc. until we end up staying in via the back door.

As I said before I think we need to switch to an Iceland style EFTA deal. That type of deal has the best chance of finding a consensus both in parliament and in the country. A good level of alignment with the EU but opportunities elsewhere in the world, and it respects the result. This will now, given May’s stubbornness, need a change in PM in order to happen.

kbd_pne

First Team
LostinYorkshire;n3423423 said:
There has been talk of a coalition of cross party MPs proposing legislation that would take legislative power away from 'the government' and give it to parliament. I assume that this is a pretty big group of centrist Labour, Conservative,Liberal & SNP. This shows that members of different parties are prepared to work together.

Currently, there is often collaboration and co-operation on parliamentary committees and similar, cross party MPs working together to propose policy, etc.
Cross party work from backbenchers on various issues is common. To work together on a huge issue like this would require both leaders and front benches of the main parties to stand down from hostilities. Whilst May is clinging onto power and Corbyn is after a general election, I can’t see that happening

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Strongbow;n3423398 said:
Didn't know that but not surprised as in the main the Labour parties clamour for power (understandable as is) has led them to put Party before Country for the last 2 years if we are all being honest.
You didnt know it because it didnt happen.

sometimes it helps to read the articles quoted.

In response, the prime minister appeared to water down an overnight briefing on the subject, suggesting that she was reaching out to Labour MPs rather than the leader of the opposition, who had voted against her on counter-terror issues in the past
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/10/corbyn-rebuffs-mays-offer-to-work-together-on-post-brexit-policies

what have I told you about our media strongy ;)

portisheadpete

First Team
I switch on the debate and:

a. The house is half empty amd the govt hasnt the courtesy to turn up to defend its appalling record - presumably because theyre down the local gents clubs slapping one another on the back

and
b. The Tories that have bothered to turn up are using it to rubbish the leader of the opposition which is not the issue of the debate at all.

Bunch are utter useless smug cretins.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
portisheadpete;n3423466 said:
I switch on the debate and:

a. The house is half empty amd the govt hasnt the courtesy to turn up to defend its appalling record - presumably because theyre down the local gents clubs slapping one another on the back

and
b. The Tories that have bothered to turn up are using it to rubbish the leader of the opposition which is not the issue of the debate at all.

Bunch are utter useless smug cretins.
significant that the opposition parties are talking the issues but all the tories have to give are slander and slurs.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
raefil;n3423467 said:
significant that the opposition parties are talking the issues but all the tories have to give are slander and slurs.

It's also significant that the opposition haven't come up with a plan yet other than every option apart from leaving :) .....Scotland ( the clot Blackford ) banging on about leaving the UK ( wish they bloody would to be honest. ) are making the most of this and it's bloody tedious.....

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
And on a different but far more important subject....................... When did " poverty " become " absolute poverty " ............ WTF ?

europne

First Team
What a farce.

The fool Corbyn accusing someone else of no confidence.

Let those in glass houses cast no stones.

What a bunch of morons........

Strongbow

First Team
paddysr;n3423479 said:
Tom Watson is giving a really calm and considered speech here.
Quite cutting on Maybot as person I thought and probably deserved in all honesty and Gove has just dragged a few of Corbyn's skeletons out of the closet to end the debate .... quite entertaining half hour that :)

Ando60

First Team
Strongbow;n3423483 said:
Quite cutting on Maybot as person I thought and probably deserved in all honesty and Gove has just dragged a few of Corbyn's skeletons out of the closet to end the debate .... quite entertaining half hour that :)
They were saying on the BBC feed that it was almost as if Gove was auditioning for the leadership...

he certainly got lots of plaudits though !!

Strongbow

First Team
Ando60;n3423484 said:
They were saying on the BBC feed that it was almost as if Gove was auditioning for the leadership...

He lit up the chamber for sure but Watson also seemed to out to prove a point during his very direct speech .... was following on Sky by the way .... entertaining.

325 - 306 rejected motion of no confidence.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Strongbow;n3423483 said:
Ando60;n3423484 said:

Next Prime Minister?.... Possibly, it would explain his stance that's for sure............................ Shame that Farage isn't leading the Labour Party.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Strongbow;n3423490 said:
He lit up the chamber for sure but Watson also seemed to out to prove a point during his very direct speech .... was following on Sky by the way .... entertaining.

325 - 306 rejected motion of no confidence.
Keep the Blue flag flying high eh strongy ;)