PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Warms the cockles of my heart

Imagine calling yourself a party of the free market then announcing this shite. Bailouts have and always will be of detriment to the economy.

Imagine calling yourself a party of the free market then announcing this shite. Bailouts have and always will be of detriment to the economy.
That isnt actually true. The classic example of an effective bailout was the US bailout of their domestic airlines post 9/11.....the Air Transport Stabilization Board underwrote billions in loans, took shares in return and ended up both saving the US domestic airline sector, which was and is critical to the US economy, and made a tidy profit from it too. Not all bailouts are as hapless as British Leyland....

Funny how people in the more remote areas, even of Preston, dont get the same kind of condiseration with their lost bus services.

Pwah what does that matter though, theyre mostly minimum wage workers that need those services.

many min wage earners use flybe, £29 from Manchester to Southend last year, 7 hours quicker than by bus and less expensive, just as an example

That isnt actually true. The classic example of an effective bailout was the US bailout of their domestic airlines post 9/11.....the Air Transport Stabilization Board underwrote billions in loans, took shares in return and ended up both saving the US domestic airline sector, which was and is critical to the US economy, and made a tidy profit from it too. Not all bailouts are as hapless as British Leyland....

Vast majority are. In the case of civil/environmental disaster I can stomach it, but poorly run businesses do not deserve handouts from the taxpayer.

Type of policy that looks great in the short term ("we've saved thousands of jobs") but has very little consideration for longer term impacts.

Which other airlines provide the niche services to remote areas?
its Nothing other than a good idea which for once is making consideration of all of the voting public
i am glad you don’t live anywhere remote as you might think differently ?
Im with you in this. Nobody was doing sea plane flights to the remote regions of the savick brook before these lot rolled out the 'explore Preston' package last year.

Vast majority are. In the case of civil/environmental disaster I can stomach it, but poorly run businesses do not deserve handouts from the taxpayer.

Type of policy that looks great in the short term ("we've saved thousands of jobs") but has very little consideration for longer term impacts.
So it isnt true that all bailouts are a detriment to the economy. :)

So it isnt true that all bailouts are a detriment to the economy. :)

Tbf John T isnt always a complete tool, but he matches that description often enough that its not unfair to say he's always a complete tool.

My reasoning above follows as such

many min wage earners use flybe, £29 from Manchester to Southend last year, 7 hours quicker than by bus and less expensive, just as an example
And dear Greta
with continued investment into the aviation industry which isnt the devil (See A350 and 787 which weigh significantly less than their predecessor, are twin engined, are far more efficient and of course have a CI development plan) we will see even further improvements in carbon reduction.
Whats better, 100 cars with one or two people in them or an aircraft operating efficiently flying one hour maximum not affected by gridlock ?
Or should we all walk to our business meetings etc ?

One of the major shareholders in Flybe/Connect Airways is Stobart. They own Southend airport. Lots of flights to all sorts of regional airports...
They also fly short haul European routes (EZY and FR). It's a great airport. I use it in preference to STN even tho Im only 20 minutes away and SEN is 50 minutes. Parking, check-in, security, boarding etc etc are just a breeze there