PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Well, can we make it into a play-off place by end of the season?

We're 40/1 to get promoted, I had £10 on it last night. Somehow Brentford are 25/1!? Forest 20/1, Bristol City and Derby 12/1, Villa 9/1, Boro 7/2, West Brom 5/2, Sheff United 4/7, Leeds 1/6 and Norwich 1/10.
I don't usually like to advocate gambling. It is a risk and you can lose all your money. BUT. Norwich at 1/10 ! Put £100 on and you are likely to get £110 back within 2 months. That is 10% interest in just 2 months! A tad better than your local building society. There is that risk though.

I don't usually like to advocate gambling. It is a risk and you can lose all your money. BUT. Norwich at 1/10 ! Put £100 on and you are likely to get £110 back within 2 months. That is 10% interest in just 2 months! A tad better than your local building society. There is that risk though.

Woah... slow down. I don't think 1/10 is good value. Leeds and Sheff United are flying too - and we've all seen teams have a wobble. Sure, you'll probably win... but if you don't ''usually advocate gambling'', I would suggest this is NOT the bet to break that habit!

Doesn't seem too much of a risk if you look at their remaining fixtures! :)
Ever considered becoming a Financial Advisor GG?! ;)

How many draws/ defeats would people say we're 'allowed' now?
75 points is the target for me, so with 27 left to play for, we can afford to drop 6 points from now to the end of the season. A tough ask with Sheff Utd, Leeds and West Brom to come.

Games left involving 5th-11th = Points dropped.

Villa v Boro
Boro v Bristol City
Wednesday v Villa
Wednesday v Forest
Villa v Bristol City
Forest v Boro
Wednesday v Bristol City
Bristol City v Derby
PNE vs Wednesday

Seems like Sheff Utd are playing pretty much everyone involved with the play-off chase too.

No one has a stand out 'easier' run-in

If we win on Saturday, we'll be 6th if Villa don't beat Boro, or 7th and 1 point off 5th if they do. We've just got to find a way to win at home.

I hope AN sticks with our successful formation and strategy - 4141 and the high press - and selects a strong attack- minded team with enough creativity and flair (eg Maguire, Nmecha, Gallagher, Barker) to unlock the Brum defence, take the initiative from the whistle and hopefully an early goal or two.

I don't think we could wish for a better manager to guide us through this final stage of the season. I'm sure he'll have the players properly motivated and focussed on each and every game and giving 100%.

4141 if played right is a great formation , you need very fit wingers as they will need to go box to box ! did we play 4141 last night

How many draws/ defeats would people say we're 'allowed' now?

It’s the old chestnut, just win your next game. So the target is 9 wins.

Anyone putting a run of wins together will be successful because others will be dropping points.

And then teams in the chasing pack will start to fall away ,if we beat Brum on Saturday that almost rules them out, 50 points from 38 games, so for them it’s imperative they win, they will be totally up for it after 2 defeats.

With Derby and Boro on a downward spiral who knows, so many permutations. Villa, Forest and Wednesday are on the march, Brentford are possibles.

Only thing is to keep on winning and enjoy the excitement. I’m enjoying Championship footy whenever it’s on the TV and we aren’t playing at home, European and Premiership footy I just cba with, don’t watch it, boring.

Imagine the game against Brentford and the winner get's in the play-offs.

Some interesting final day fixtures!

Villa v Norwich
Brentford v Us
Derby v West Brom
Hull v Bristol
Ipswich v Leeds
Forest v Bolton
Reading v Brum
Rotherham v Boro
Sheff Weds v QPR

The rest aren't as significant, but that's almost the entire league that might have something to play for! What a great league this is.

Games left involving 5th-11th = Points dropped.

Villa v Boro
Boro v Bristol City
Wednesday v Villa
Wednesday v Forest
Villa v Bristol City
Forest v Boro
Wednesday v Bristol City
Bristol City v Derby
PNE vs Wednesday

Seems like Sheff Utd are playing pretty much everyone involved with the play-off chase too.

No one has a stand out 'easier' run-in
True, as we still have to play Leeds, Sheff Utd and WBA...……...however, we don't have to play any of our nearest rivals positioned above us vying for the play off positions. There are four matches where one or more of Villa, Boro, Bristol or Derby 100% guarenteed will drop points.

16 Mar.....Villa v Boro
2 Apr.........Boro v Bristol
13 Apr...….Villa v Bristol
27 Apr......Bristol v Derby.

I don't like the looks of Bristol City's chances especially as they have only won one of their last six in the league (could be more I didn't check).
Those four games shown above at worst will give PNE some "breathing room" should we not fare well v Leeds, Sheff Utd or WBA.

This year the league is serving up something a bit different.

At the bottom of the table, a quartet of clubs are fighting to avoid relegation - one of them will go down (along with Ipswich and Bolton) but only 1 point separates them at present. They are Millwall, Reading, Wigan and Rotherham.

Those 4 teams are the opponents of clubs like West Brom etc in the run-in, as follows :

WBA 3
MID 2
DER 1
BC 3
AV 2
PNE 2
NOT 1

So, not only are the teams placed 4-10 playing each other (and also the top 3), they are playing that lower quartet too.

If you try predicting the results of all the games, there is a large margin of error. However, it costs nothing to do it.

My expectation is that out of the 7 teams above, 4 will compete for 3 play-off places and 3 will fall away. The latter being BC, AV, NOT.

The run-in looks particularly difficult for WBA and BC. WBA might not even make the play-offs.