What Are You Listening To?

egghead

Manager
They’ve been active again the last couple of years doing random stuff. Some videos on YouTube of them driving round Liverpool in an ice cream van leading some parades. All very bizarre, there was some rumours of another project based on a date but that seemed to pass without anything really happening though some art installation linked to the ice cream van gets added to every now and again it seems

jim cauty is busy with l-13 art studio, putting out his own work and Jamie reade’s and occasionally pretending to be banksy.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Inspired by everyones hazy 90s recollection I've started revisiting my CD collection via my Google Play/YouTube storage playing a couple of albums a day to break up the day. Haven't seen my CDs for so long I kind of forget what was amongst it

At Uni it felt like I was in Crash or HMV pretty much every week picking up compilations mostly from Clubs/DJ stuff at that time. Some of the spoken word stuff during this suddenly comes back to the present day

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
Had the CD 3 days (release date tomorrow) and finally playing right now the new IDLES album Ultra Mono.

1st impressions, it's a lot faster and should make for an intense live show. The bass line is just heavier.

Grounds and Mr Motivator set things up nicely.

"Ne Touche Pas Moi" with Jehnny Beth is a killer.

Looking forward to hearing the last track "Danke", heard good things about it.

Update -

7 tracks in, it's faster and that bass is heavier. The live shows should be even more intense if that is possible.
That bass is old skool punk. The hype around it is real.
Me likey a lot.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
Had the CD 3 days (release date tomorrow) and finally playing right now the new IDLES album Ultra Mono.

1st impressions, it's a lot faster and should make for an intense live show. The bass line is just heavier.

Update -

7 tracks in, it's faster and that bass is heavier. The live shows should be even more intense if that is possible.
Me likey a lot.
TBF know nothing about idles but found this article quite interesting, read Sleaford mods aren't buying it either

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron

Update -

Me likey a lot.
Cant wait to get the album tomorrow

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
TBF know nothing about idles but found this article quite interesting, read Sleaford mods aren't buying it either

Sleaford Mods are shit and they basically say that because Joe Talbot grew up in a 3 bed semi he shouldn't be able to relate to the working classes and be socially aware.

I never read the Quietus as it is proper up it's own arse. Idles aren't for everyone and it is shouting nonsense but it doesn't mean the message isn't relevant and that they arent an entertaining band.

They are never going to win any literary awards but they make aggressive music that is proper fun to dance to.

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron

That reviewer, whilst entitled to his POV, is just trying to be edgy in slating the album when almost every other outlet has praised it, even fucking Everett True was praising it!!! I doubt the Quietus guy even listened to the album, let alone understand the genre. Like I say, it's just some nomark trying to make a name for himself. Watch the album go straight in at #1. See the already in days Sold Out Tour. Tell me who is wrong. Him or the tens of thousands?

As for Jason Williamson (Sleaford Mods), whilst I like em, he is getting increasingly bitter on Twitter with his rants dating back a couple of years trying to garner a response. A shame as both were at the same level in 2018. Bitterness is an ugly trait. I would suggest he is tied up in notts...

Just to balance the reviews up, 1st one I stumbled across...

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
That reviewer, whilst entitled to his POV, is just trying to be edgy in slating the album when almost every other outlet has praised it, even fucking Everett True was praising it!!! I doubt the Quietus guy even listened to the album, let alone understand the genre. Like I say, it's just some nomark trying to make a name for himself. Watch the album go straight in at #1. See the already in days Sold Out Tour. Tell me who is wrong. Him or the tens of thousands?

As for Jason Williamson (Sleaford Mods), whilst I like em, he is getting increasingly bitter on Twitter with his rants dating back a couple of years trying to garner a response. A shame as both were at the same level in 2018. Bitterness is an ugly trait. I would suggest he is tied up in notts...

Just to balance the reviews up, 1st one I stumbled across...

Will give it a read JD, after all, at least it's interesting eh, a bit of needle is alright, there's nowt else going on!

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
Sleaford Mods are shit and they basically say that because Joe Talbot grew up in a 3 bed semi he shouldn't be able to relate to the working classes and be socially aware.

I never read the Quietus as it is proper up it's own arse. Idles aren't for everyone and it is shouting nonsense but it doesn't mean the message isn't relevant and that they arent an entertaining band.

They are never going to win any literary awards but they make aggressive music that is proper fun to dance to.
I'm proper looking from the outside observing the battle 👍🏻