What Are You Listening To?

jarjar

First Team
Tough question but the timing of Green (when I was in the 5th Form) and the fact that it contains World Leader Pretend means that it probably gets the nod.

You?
Sure is a tough question! Got to be New Adventures In Hi-Fi for me though. I think Electrolite is one of the most perfect records of all time.

Been lucky enough to see them 3 times too!

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
Sure is a tough question! Got to be New Adventures In Hi-Fi for me though. I think Electrolite is one of the most perfect records of all time.

Just the once for me sadly.

Still, it was in Ljubljana and I stayed in the same hotel as them - bit surreal seeing Mike Mills at the muesli counter!

Stipe, the tribute band, aren’t bad. Got tickets for October.

Dr Marten

First Team

New Adventures is hands down my favourite REM album. I'm a huge fan, and they made some amazing albums, particularly in the 80's. However New Adventures is just so damn perfect and had they called it a day when Bill Berry left, they would have gone out on a high due to that album.

My entry was also Green, and being 16 I was probably the right age for something that was less mainstream, and that nobody else I knew had heard of, apart from a couple of like minded souls I later went on to meet a college. But they were practically my secret band for about 2 years and during that time I absolutely lived and breathed them as I worked my way through their catalogue.

I was lucky enough to see them 5 times over the years, but weirdly I never saw them when Bill Berry was still the drummer and I still can't fathom out why I did not see them on that last tour he played with them.

jarjar

First Team
New Adventures is hands down my favourite REM album. I'm a huge fan, and they made some amazing albums, particularly in the 80's. However New Adventures is just so damn perfect and had they called it a day when Bill Berry left, they would have gone out on a high due to that album.

My entry was also Green, and being 16 I was probably the right age for something that was less mainstream, and that nobody else I knew had heard of, apart from a couple of like minded souls I later went on to meet a college. But they were practically my secret band for about 2 years and during that time I absolutely lived and breathed them as I worked my way through their catalogue.

I was lucky enough to see them 5 times over the years, but weirdly I never saw them when Bill Berry was still the drummer and I still can't fathom out why I did not see them on that last tour he played with them.
Was his last tour for Monster? My mum, brother and sister went to the Huddersfield show on that tour. First one for me was 1999 at the M.E.N. Still got the t-shirt!

Dr Marten

First Team
Was his last tour for Monster? My mum, brother and sister went to the Huddersfield show on that tour. First one for me was 1999 at the M.E.N. Still got the t-shirt!
Monster was his last tour but New Adventures was his last album. Most of New Adventures was recorded during the Monster tour so they knew they were not likely to do another tour for a while. That's when Bill reassessed his life, bearing in mind he nearly died during the Monster tour and therefore decided he no longer wanted to do it.

The first album without him was Up, which was a slow burner for me but it is a brilliant album. I too saw them for the first time at the MEN in 1999 and saw them on every tour after that when they played in Manchester.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
Today, because it's his 80th birthday, I shall be listening to Bob Dylan.......

This is a wonderful live version of one of his greatest offerings. I was fortunate enough to be at this gig which, bizarrely, took place at the Aston Villa Leisure Centre

Preston Lad

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Patron
Watched the greatest hits of 1991 the other night on channel 5 and there was a couple of tunes from these on there.

They were massive at the time👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Watched the greatest hits of 1991 the other night on channel 5 and there was a couple of tunes from these on there.

They were massive at the time👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

If you check Spotify a whole bunch of stuff is finally available including some of their Timelords/JAMMS stuff and things like "Chill Out" (albeit things are renamed and some seems to still not have been cleared for samples)