PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

What is the true unemployment figure?

norfolk white

Staff member
Patron
Given the way that the figures for unemployment are calculated and how the way of calculating has altered/changed over the years then what s the true figure. If the calculations that were used in the 1980s to calculate the total unemployment figures for any given month, what would that figure come out as now?

Anyone know other than just saying 'it's a lot higher than it is reported'?

God Knows. These crooked lot have had it covered up for years.

It would be interesting to take out those who are on zero hours contracts!

Given the way that the figures for unemployment are calculated and how the way of calculating has altered/changed over the years then what s the true figure. If the calculations that were used in the 1980s to calculate the total unemployment figures for any given month, what would that figure come out as now?

Probably about 10 million

Does a shop assistant who spots you gesticulating in a gentle humble I need help manner that then decides to carry on talking to her mate probably about what shazza was wearing last Friday night and what a slag she is count as employed ?

Does a shop assistant who spots you gesticulating in a gentle humble I need help manner that then decides to carry on talking to her mate probably about what shazza was wearing last Friday night and what a slag she is count as employed ?

for her £7.50 an hour, yes.

Then I despair
Don't we all need to start somewhere

the £7.50 an hour is in an interesting point in this debate.

Historically when employment is a t at record high levels, like its supposed to be now, market forces drive real wages upwards. Yet what we have right now is the exact opposite of that. Something doesnt add up.

the £7.50 an hour is in an interesting point in this debate.

Historically when employment is a t at record high levels, like its supposed to be now, market forces drive real wages upwards. Yet what we have right now is the exact opposite of that. Something doesnt add up.

I think there has been so much seasonal adjustment of figures that we no longer know the arse end of anything ?
Anyhow
Back to Bacardi in the shop
I'm not so sure if I would count her in the figures but then I guess she was in the shop and was wearing the appropriate corporate clothing

I think there has been so much seasonal adjustment of figures that we no longer know the arse end of anything ?
Anyhow
Back to Bacardi in the shop
I'm not so sure if I would count her in the figures but then I guess she was in the shop and was wearing the appropriate corporate clothing

Id happily work for £7.50 an hour but £7.50s worth of work is exactly what youd get out of me.

So then you would always be on the equivalent of £7.50
Maybe with just a little ingenuity, commitment and a spring in your step you could progress ?

Perhaps, just perhaps, some people are not wanting to progress but what they really want out of life is a fair days pay for a fair days work. They want nothing more than to get out of bed in the morning, work hard and know and feel the pride of providing for their families.

Nobody should ever have to do a full time job and still worry about putting food on the table for their children.

Perhaps, just perhaps, some people are not wanting to progress but what they really want out of life is a fair days pay for a fair days work. They want nothing more than to get out of bed in the morning, work hard and know and feel the pride of providing for their families.

Nobody should ever have to do a full time job and still worry about putting food on the table for their children.

I agree
And there should be a scale to ensure inflation etc annually is accounted for
No one who works hard should have to worry. That's for sure
But there should also be (just maybe) an inbuilt work ethic which is very apparent in the majority but worryingly absent in some

I agree
And there should be a scale to ensure inflation etc annually is accounted for
No one who works hard should have to worry. That's for sure
But there should also be (just maybe) an inbuilt work ethic which is very apparent in the majority but worryingly absent in some

We have 4.5 Million kids living in poverty, two thirds of them in WORKING FAMILIES, 19 Million Workers on the verge of poverty & 17 Million with less then a hundred quid in savings! Poverty wages have left millions destitute and with little motivation.

Without going into the veracity of your point Raef, I think I would bring that lack of service down to one thing. Respect.

If she is working there then if she is treated with respect by the customer then she should respond respectfully. Ignoring a customer and pursuing your conversation is ignorant and disrespectful. I find that a noticeable proportion of people (by no means a majority) in the UK seem to find the idea of service demeaning.

And that doesn’t mean I don’t think we should create a balanced economy with more diverse and more stimulating opportunities. I bloody well do.

So then you would always be on the equivalent of £7.50
Maybe with just a little ingenuity, commitment and a spring in your step you could progress ?

My mum used to work part time when we were kids. The reason was that my dad was disabled and she cared for him.

Can you give me an example of ingenuity she could have used, or what skipping method would have assisted her progression?

Thanks.

While I am sure you get a few like that ,my friend who works in Sainsburys tells me the worst and obnoxious are the customers some people no matter how much you help them are never satisfied.