PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

What's happened to Cunningham?

Yes, Jack Armer. I guess because we had Josh Earl they would have though he would be the cover required.

I'm tired of guessing though but thought Jack was a decent prospect from what I could see.

Yes, Jack Armer. I guess because we had Josh Earl they would have though he would be the cover required.

I'm tired of guessing though but thought Jack was a decent prospect from what I could see.
Keeping the Carlisle captain out of the team at the minute as well (former North End academy graduate Nick Anderton).

You're not a Scotland youth international if you haven't got something about you. From what I believe, the manager wanted to keep him but Covid forced the club's hand financially which was disappointing to hear.

It sounds good in principle but what's the plan for the other 20+ games when we need a decent left back ?

Hughes and Earl aren't reliable defensively or fitness wise.

We need a new first choice left back in my opinion who can actually stay fit, play games and get up and down the pitch. Not keen on having 3-4 options and it's like a lucky dip as to who's fit to have a run of games.
It's a fair comment Sedg. I think Greg with a full pre-season under his belt will be a good asset to us next season. Hughes has done OK for me (know a section of the fans don't particular like him) but he's steady at this level, not going to be a world-beater but rarely lets us down and can fill in at that third CB spot too. Contract is until the end of 2022 and I can't see a club coming in with a fee for him despite the change back to SCMP in L1/L2.

Not sure what's out there in terms of left-backs, right-back probably needs looking at too if we're honest although Sepp has been undexpectedly excellent since arriving. I like Ethan Laird that's on loan at MK Dons from Man United personally as an option.

Don't think we can afford to carry both Cunningham and Hughes tbh. Both very poor injury records. I'd rather keep Greg if given the choice but Hughes is still under contract next season so it will probably be him.
This.

Keeping the Carlisle captain out of the team at the minute as well (former North End academy graduate Nick Anderton).

You're not a Scotland youth international if you haven't got something about you. From what I believe, the manager wanted to keep him but Covid forced the club's hand financially which was disappointing to hear.

It's a fair comment Sedg. I think Greg with a full pre-season under his belt will be a good asset to us next season. Hughes has done OK for me (know a section of the fans don't particular like him) but he's steady at this level, not going to be a world-beater but rarely lets us down and can fill in at that third CB spot too. Contract is until the end of 2022 and I can't see a club coming in with a fee for him despite the change back to SCMP in L1/L2.

Not sure what's out there in terms of left-backs, right-back probably needs looking at too if we're honest although Sepp has been undexpectedly excellent since arriving. I like Ethan Laird that's on loan at MK Dons from Man United personally as an option.
thats what I heard too..... had he got a 2 year deal like Adam or Jack B instead a 1 + option he would probably still be with us....

I used to love Nick A for his Bale like attacking from LB but Jack A was a better defender imo.... but pecking order he would have been behind Josh E and so in covid times we wouldnt carry 3 LB's I guess.

I agree that Hughes isn‘t a bad player to have in the squad. He‘s tall, versatile and most of the time looks fairly competent. He can be a good squad player, but as a first choice left back we need much better, and have done for a couple of years. Someone who can get forward. A fully fit Greg would provide this, but I don‘t think we can rely on that, and we would probably end up reverting back to Hughes a lot of the time anyway.

I would snap your hands off to sign a fully fit Greg, in fact I doubt we could afford him if that was the case, but he isn‘t fit and to be honest if we do identify a good left back to sign instead I think we have to go down that route. If we‘re serious about improving positions in our starting XI then we need to sign guys who have a recent history of being fit and available.

Agree right back is going to be a priority too. To be honest the whole defence will need additions in all areas. Laird is a good young right back, I like the lad Olusunde at Rotherham as well who is out of contract.

According to McAvoy he’s a week or two away still, meaning by the time he’s ready to start he’ll probably have missed Brentford, Stoke and Derby, and there will only be 3 games left

According to McAvoy he’s a week or two away still, meaning by the time he’s ready to start he’ll probably have missed Brentford, Stoke and Derby, and there will only be 3 games left

Unsignable really.

As good as we know he can be, the best ability will always be availability and he hasnt played more than half of the games in a season since 2016/17.

Just seems to have fallen apart physically since the injury he picked up toward the end of his first spell here

Andrew Hughes & the Wycombe keeper were the only non Norwich/ Wednesday players to make the Whoscored team of the week.

I think Hughes is a decent player when we're trying to keep things solid and grind out a win but at home we need someone who is quick and direct to help open up teams but that can be said about all the attacking positions too.

i dont know about that
dunno whats up with him, just always seems injured no one ever says if its a pull or a strain etc.

if hes a ledley king or paul magrath type thing where he cant train but play i say we sign him cause when he has played on his return i see basically no difference from the greg that left

Last edited:
what exactly is he suffering with?
It sounds like he's been overloaded in training/games after such a long time out and will inevitably pick up niggles, pulls, strains as a result.

Remember AN saying that he'd physically broken down at a point before he left, think before Wycombe.

Got to look after players like that after big injuries and time out the game and not expect a miracle. I like Greg a lot, and I'd give him another year regardless as we need that level of experience and character as well as being a bloody good player if he can get himself back fit, which might take the summer break.

Got to remember players could have played in up to 60 games in 12 months without a substantial break (off season was 2 weeks) come the end of the season.

It sounds like he's been overloaded in training/games after such a long time out and will inevitably pick up niggles, pulls, strains as a result.

Remember AN saying that he'd physically broken down at a point before he left, think before Wycombe.

Got to look after players like that after big injuries and time out the game and not expect a miracle. I like Greg a lot, and I'd give him another year regardless as we need that level of experience and character as well as being a bloody good player if he can get himself back fit, which might take the summer break.

Got to remember players could have played in up to 60 games in 12 months without a substantial break (off season was 2 weeks) come the end of the season.
Think you're being purely sentimental here.

Opting for Cunningham over a left back who is fitter, younger and has been playing regularly would be another classic case of PNE incompetence.

We need to look elsewhere.

Think you're being purely sentimental here.

Opting for Cunningham over a left back who is fitter, younger and has been playing regularly would be another classic case of PNE incompetence.

We need to look elsewhere.
I'm not sure there's too many options within our budget and resource that have the same quality Greg can give us if I'm honest. Little sentiment in it, if we'd got Bidwell as an example there would have been no complaints from me when we lost Greg first time round. Just that good LBs cost money and that's something we seldom spend (know there's a few OOC options but again, other clubs will probably beat us to it wages/sign-on fee like what happened with Bidwell)

I'd keep Hughes too by the way for the LCB/LB versatility.

I'm not sure there's too many options within our budget and resource that have the same quality Greg can give us if I'm honest. Little sentiment in it, if we'd got Bidwell as an example there would have been no complaints from me when we lost Greg first time round. Just that good LBs cost money and that's something we seldom spend (know there's a few OOC options but again, other clubs will probably beat us to it wages/sign-on fee like what happened with Bidwell)

Surely there are going to be a crazy amount of out of contract players this summer though? ones who will probably have to revise down their wage demands. I just can't get on board with the 'he only needs a good summer' outlook when clubs have probably been saying that for the past three years.

Surely there are going to be a crazy amount of out of contract players this summer though? ones who will probably have to revise down their wage demands. I just can't get on board with the 'he only needs a good summer' outlook when clubs have probably been saying that for the past three years.
I'm not sure on the wage demands front, I don't think the wage demands are going to fall that substantially. Think we all hoped the same last summer and we ended up giving out new contracts to fringe players and bringing in no-one in except Emil.

Need to see whats available in terms of frees, heard about Nyambe and JRC at Rovers but not really done too much digging into it.

It's a massive "if" with Greg and his fitness. Time will ultimately tell and we'll see if the club think it's a gamble worth taking come the summer especially with Hughes, Earl and likely to have Coulton under contract at LB. A serious question of genuine full-back quality remains there though

Andrew Hughes & the Wycombe keeper were the only non Norwich/ Wednesday players to make the Whoscored team of the week.

I think Hughes is a decent player when we're trying to keep things solid and grind out a win but at home we need someone who is quick and direct to help open up teams but that can be said about all the attacking positions too.
I have to admit I think Hughes is really settling into that left centre back role. I’d certainly prefer him there over Lindsey

It's a step too far to just hope a guy who hasnt played more than half a season for 5 years will magically become fit again.

No point signing Greg to just be looking for another fullback 6 months later because he cant stay healthy.

I'd take a minor upgrade on Hughes who you can guarantee 40 games from than a big upgrade on Hughes who will just sit in the stands for 75% of the season.

Hughes can play a role as a left footed Tom Clarke, who can be relied upon at either LCB or LB. But he shouldnt be starting 40 games at left back again because our first choice can't stay fit