Which should Pearson miss ?

My understanding is that BP's booking for the PEn last night is his 9th and so 1 more will be a 2 game ban (I presume).
Knowing he wont go the rest of the season without a yellow, WHICH games should he aim to miss? i.e. when can we afford him to get his next card?

IF we have passed the amnesty for 10 yellows then please can someone confirm this ?

Kathryn

Manager
The amnesty for 10 yellows is after 37 league games. If he can go another 5 without a yellow he might be ok.

Simon G

Reserve
He has already had 7 games banned this season, so this will be another 2. We need a miracle for him to go 5 games without a yellow.

epsilon

Reserve
It's an interesting question.

Largely it's in the hands of the player and a little bit the manager.

That said, I wondered if these two games might be the best (IF achievable) : mid BIR

(home in CAPS)

[This requires the player to get through two games with no booking, then get one in the bla game.]

PNEroulette

First Team
Don't think he can aim to miss anything, most of the yellow cards are for slight mistimings of tackles. The only way he could guarantee not getting a yellow would be to hardly tackle , his main asset. Pearson treads a fine line that others don't have the balls to tread ,that's why he is so effective and intimidating. If he doesn't get a yellow in 5 games then its a sign he's rained in his game ,which will impact his performance negatively.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Last year, he was on 14 bookings for ages... I would guess at least 5 games. He played well in those games... just managed to curb himself.

I would get him to try to do that again. But have the instruction that if he feels a hamstring tightening on Saturday, to take his shirt off or something!

Mind you, on Tuesday night, Ramos of Real Madrid admitted to journalists that he'd deliberately got booked near the end of their win v Ajax - and soon changed his mind - presumably when someone told him that attracts a minimum 2 match ban.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
Last year, he was on 14 bookings for ages... I would guess at least 5 games. He played well in those games... just managed to curb himself.

I would get him to try to do that again. But have the instruction that if he feels a hamstring tightening on Saturday, to take his shirt off or something!

Mind you, on Tuesday night, Ramos of Real Madrid admitted to journalists that he'd deliberately got booked near the end of their win v Ajax - and soon changed his mind - presumably when someone told him that attracts a minimum 2 match ban.
3 game gap between booking 14 and 15. Then none in the last 6. So 1 in the last 10. So he can do it. Though didn’t it coincide with talk of a perm club watching him?

Also vs Derby and Norwich he was outstanding after his booking so he can play effectively without having to dive in out of control. It’s evitable he’ll get another booking and miss 2 games. It’s not ideal to be picking a game but one on Saturday means he’s back for Rovers.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
3 game gap between booking 14 and 15. Then none in the last 6. So 1 in the last 10. So he can do it. Though didn’t it coincide with talk of a perm club watching him?

Also vs Derby and Norwich he was outstanding after his booking so he can play effectively without having to dive in out of control. It’s evitable he’ll get another booking and miss 2 games. It’s not ideal to be picking a game but one on Saturday means he’s back for Rovers.
A perm club? Each to their own. He's definitely got the hair for it.

Are we absolutely sure it's exactly 2 games for ten bookings... and not "a minimum of 2 games"? Hopefully it's just 2, but I wouldn't be shocked if they have the right to lengthen it - and given that he'd have passed 10 for a second consecutive season, and picked up 2 reds this season, then he'd be a prime candidate for that.

Don't think he can aim to miss anything, most of the yellow cards are for slight mistimings of tackles. The only way he could guarantee not getting a yellow would be to hardly tackle , his main asset. Pearson treads a fine line that others don't have the balls to tread ,that's why he is so effective and intimidating. If he doesn't get a yellow in 5 games then its a sign he's rained in his game ,which will impact his performance negatively.
If he doesn't get any more yellows it will mean he has improved his tackling - ie doing it correctly rather than fouling - so I'm not sure how improving his tackling will impact his performance negatively. We need him on the pitch every game so let's hope he does indeed make it to the amnesty without another yellow.

sf

Manager
His best run last season was 6 without a booking, this season it was seven but he ended up getting a red at Wednesday.

we have noticed that Gally is quick to come between BP and the Ref anytime Ben does a foul or starts to argue about a decision....talking to the ref all the time is Gally. So the worry will be if Gally needs a rest - and he was limping after Weds - who will do the 'ref shepherding?'......

He has to learn that even if you win the ball a horizontal slide tackle isnt going to be allowed....and with Sheff Weds; Derby and Norwich thats 3 that have been widely seen on TV !!!

PNEroulette

First Team
If he doesn't get any more yellows it will mean he has improved his tackling - ie doing it correctly rather than fouling - so I'm not sure how improving his tackling will impact his performance negatively. We need him on the pitch every game so let's hope he does indeed make it to the amnesty without another yellow.
It's not that easy to improve the timings of his tackles ,your talking about about a fraction of a second being the difference between a good tackle and a foul/potential booking. The only way to guarantee not getting booked is to not make those challenges and hold back.
First half against Norwich he dominated the midfield and we overrun them , second half he was very restrained ( either due to fitness or being on a yellow card) and they started to dominate us.
A restrained Ben Pearson who is less effective but still quite effective or an unrestrained Pearson who can dominate any midfield in the Championship but runs the risk of yellow/red cards ,you can't have it both ways.

PNEroulette

First Team
we have noticed that Gally is quick to come between BP and the Ref anytime Ben does a foul or starts to argue about a decision....talking to the ref all the time is Gally. So the worry will be if Gally needs a rest - and he was limping after Weds - who will do the 'ref shepherding?'......

He has to learn that even if you win the ball a horizontal slide tackle isnt going to be allowed....and with Sheff Weds; Derby and Norwich thats 3 that have been widely seen on TV !!!
Gally was chatting away to him as they left pitch. Could be some mentoring going on.
One thing Pearson has to work on is the dissent and getting involved with scuffles.There was no excuse for the Stoke incident.
Use controlled agression without letting it tip over to uncontrolled rage.

White123

Manager
Pearson does tackle correct. In fact I would say he is one of the best tacklers playing for Preston over the past 10 years. But if there is a ball to be won Pearson is going to go for it and I would rather that and he picks up a potential yellow card than pulling out of the tackle. I will back up what PNEEurolette said above. If Pearson loses his aggression on the pitch than he loses his influence on games. Yes people can mention the fact he only picked up 1 yellow card in 10 games at the end of last season but personally I didn't think he played as well in these games. His performances the last few weeks especially against Derby have been brilliant.

mozzchops

First Team
He needs to stop going to ground. The penalty on Wednesday gave the ref a choice to make, for me he got the ball first and carried through the Norwich player, technically a foul these days. He has to stop these kinds of tackles. Difficult for him I guess.