PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Which should Pearson miss ?

A perm club? Each to their own. He's definitely got the hair for it.

Are we absolutely sure it's exactly 2 games for ten bookings... and not "a minimum of 2 games"? Hopefully it's just 2, but I wouldn't be shocked if they have the right to lengthen it - and given that he'd have passed 10 for a second consecutive season, and picked up 2 reds this season, then he'd be a prime candidate for that.
It’s 2 games. If they get to 15 they have to go for a disciplinary hearing at the EFL.

It often seems to be the trailing leg with Pearson. I think someone just needs to teach him to tackle properly

Given it is more or less his sole function, that’s quite a worrying comment.

Incredible how the likes of Robson and Souness used to be ball winners yet manage to score about 200 goals between them as well.

Modern life is rubbish I guess.

It often seems to be the trailing leg with Pearson. I think someone just needs to teach him to tackle properly
That was the point I made earlier. Stats show Pearson wins 64% of his tackles. I don't know whether that is a good ratio or not as I haven't really looked at other players stats.

Given it is more or less his sole function, that’s quite a worrying comment.

Incredible how the likes of Robson and Souness used to be ball winners yet manage to score about 200 goals between them as well.

Modern life is rubbish I guess.

Justin Justin Justin. Stick to cricket !!

Brian Robson was a ball winner. And he won nearly a hundred caps for England and multiple league titles/fa cups/european stuff. Graham Souness... only 50-odd caps but way more club honours (is it 5 or 6 league titles for example).

Pearson might not quite be in their class, but he is our best player.

And a point for many more people... those who say that Prem clubs will be frightened away from Pearson because he misses so many games suspended. I'm not so sure.

I reckon that any prem club would 'budget' for a destructive midfielder to be suspended for maybe 4 games a season... and probably a similar number with knocks and injuries. Pearson gets more suspensions than he should... but he's very robust and is rarely injured. And any prem club would assume that they could help Ben to improve his disciplinary record.

And a point for many more people... those who say that Prem clubs will be frightened away from Pearson because he misses so many games suspended. I'm not so sure.

I reckon that any prem club would 'budget' for a destructive midfielder to be suspended for maybe 4 games a season... and probably a similar number with knocks and injuries. Pearson gets more suspensions than he should... but he's very robust and is rarely injured. And any prem club would assume that they could help Ben to improve his disciplinary record.
I can't see it, he's got a yellow in 37.5% (9/24) of the games he's played this season and a red in 8.33% (2/24), not counting double yellows in the yellow tally. Over a 38 game premier league season that's 14.25 yellows and just over 3 reds.
If we presume he'd only get 1 more yellow in the prem where they're much stricter (I'd expect a few yellows to turn to reds in the top tier especially as VAR is being introduced next season) and all the reds are 1 game bans then that's him missing 9 games a season.
If we're asking for around £20m, as we should be for a player with his quality, I can't see someone paying that for a player who's likely to miss nearly a quarter of the season without even factoring in injuries, especially as he isn't glamorous and doesn't have a fancy name.

Not worried about losing Pearson this summer, think Robbo will go but think we can deal with it, Browne's the big one for me, keep him and add a couple of players and with a bit of luck we're in with a shout, lose him and I'd expect mid-table again.

I can't see it, he's got a yellow in 37.5% (9/24) of the games he's played this season and a red in 8.33% (2/24), not counting double yellows in the yellow tally. Over a 38 game premier league season that's 14.25 yellows and just over 3 reds.
If we presume he'd only get 1 more yellow in the prem where they're much stricter (I'd expect a few yellows to turn to reds in the top tier especially as VAR is being introduced next season) and all the reds are 1 game bans then that's him missing 9 games a season.
If we're asking for around £20m, as we should be for a player with his quality, I can't see someone paying that for a player who's likely to miss nearly a quarter of the season without even factoring in injuries, especially as he isn't glamorous and doesn't have a fancy name.

Not worried about losing Pearson this summer, think Robbo will go but think we can deal with it, Browne's the big one for me, keep him and add a couple of players and with a bit of luck we're in with a shout, lose him and I'd expect mid-table again.

That's a reasonable view and you might be right... and I'm not saying that Ben is going to definitely get snapped up. But we should not (as some like you do) rely that his poor disciplinary record will make him unattractive. To emphasise, the point I made was that he's hardly ever injured, which is a valuable asset that offsets much of the time he misses through suspension.

I think prem clubs will notice this. Plenty of players regularly miss a quarter of a season through a combination of suspension and injury... which is where Ben is at... and again to emphasise that I think football clubs would assume that it's easier to improve a player's discipline as he gets older than it is improve the robustness of an ageing injury-prone footballer!

That's a reasonable view and you might be right... and I'm not saying that Ben is going to definitely get snapped up. But we should not (as some like you do) rely that his poor disciplinary record will make him unattractive. To emphasise, the point I made was that he's hardly ever injured, which is a valuable asset that offsets much of the time he misses through suspension.

I think prem clubs will notice this. Plenty of players regularly miss a quarter of a season through a combination of suspension and injury... which is where Ben is at... and again to emphasise that I think football clubs would assume that it's easier to improve a player's discipline as he gets older than it is improve the robustness of an ageing injury-prone footballer!

He has missed a few games in the past with injuries, a run of half a dozen games or so, nothing major I guess especially for a CM. He played 15 games less than Browne last season. That's quite a lot. I think the discipline will have an impact on someone paying for him, especially if he'd be used more as a back up i.e. they couldn't afford for him to come in for a game and then get sent off and be unavailable for the next 3 etc.

Anyway, he's good enough to play in the Prem, let's see what happens, for me despite the issues around him I think he'd be far harder to replace than Browne and Robinson.

Pearson's poor disciplinary record isn't just down to his tackling though, but is also often down to petulance, and I think this combination is what might put future premier league suitors off him. He's a strange case for me. He is a gifted player, yet also the most booked player in the country, but many PNE fans won't have anything said about him and claim he is an innocent victim of crap, vindictive reffing.. We then get thread after thread with posts from many of those very same posters offering chant suggestions glorifying his lunges, describing how he'd 'two - foot your mum' and his appetite for yellow cards. Top-drawer championship player when on song, but for me not quite Premier League just yet.

Best midfielder i've seen for PNE and the best of his type in the division, don't think he's as petulant as he was a year ago but still has his moments.

Also needs to realise he doesn't have to put his body into everything, maybe that comes down to having more faith in his team mates.

That said, if his daft bookings are the only reason he's still here then I hope they continue.

I thought p
Pearson's poor disciplinary record isn't just down to his tackling though, but is also often down to petulance, and I think this combination is what might put future premier league suitors off him. He's a strange case for me. He is a gifted player, yet also the most booked player in the country, but many PNE fans won't have anything said about him and claim he is an innocent victim of crap, vindictive reffing.. We then get thread after thread with posts from many of those very same posters offering chant suggestions glorifying his lunges, describing how he'd 'two - foot your mum' and his appetite for yellow cards. Top-drawer championship player when on song, but for me not quite Premier League just yet.
I thought petulance was more or less compulsory for a Premier League player.

Much stricter in the Prem? I don’t think so, players get away with much worse challenges in the Premier League compared to the Championship. It’s much easier to be booked or sent off in the championship, especially if you’re not a big name player and the ref won’t get publicly lambasted on tv.

Firstly, wouldn’t want Pearson to miss any more games this season. Or to curb his style of play.
Which matches SHOULD he miss, as above.
Why “decide,” in a match when he may not otherwise get booked, that he should deliberately get booked? Result, Pearson definitely misses (at least) 2 games in which he might otherwise play and, again, not get booked.
Will he get booked before the amnesty? Probably, but if he keeps away from referees then more likely due to his reputation (usually referred to by the opposition pre-match) and overaction by opposition players when tackled.
AN recently openly stated Pearson had been warned about his card count/conduct. Think the question should be, realistically, how many unnecessary cards can he avoid in the future so the question posed by the OP is moot.

If we do happen to go all the way... that's 11 matches before we secure our place at Wembley. Pearson can only afford 3 more yellow cards in those 11 games, or he's likely to miss it... unless he picks them up quickly and gets the (3 or 4 match?) ban out of the way!

Seriously... this is a massive concern. I really don't see him going 11 games with only 3 yellows.

If we do happen to go all the way... that's 11 matches before we secure our place at Wembley. Pearson can only afford 3 more yellow cards in those 11 games, or he's likely to miss it... unless he picks them up quickly and gets the (3 or 4 match?) ban out of the way!

Seriously... this is a massive concern. I really don't see him going 11 games with only 3 yellows.

I said this on another thread he is going to be banned again no doubt and it will cost us and him. The upside is that we will have him again next season because no one wants someone that will miss a third of the season through suspension for the price we will expect them to pay.

We won tonight despite our allegedly best player, as ever, being more interested in getting booked than scoring or creating a goal.

He’s now a mere 96 behind Gally.

As always, the centre halves and the keeper took responsibility at the back and the rest of the lads didn’t shirk the onus to score goals.

Hughes has come in from the lower leagues and stood up to be counted. Barker appeared at half time and took the game to Boro whilst Pearson watched from the centre circle.

I could play his role and I’m 45 and recovering from surgery on my Achilles.

We won tonight despite our allegedly best player, as ever, being more interested in getting booked than scoring or creating a goal.

He’s now a mere 96 behind Gally.

As always, the centre halves and the keeper took responsibility at the back and the rest of the lads didn’t shirk the onus to score goals.

Hughes has come in from the lower leagues and stood up to be counted. Barker appeared at half time and took the game to Boro whilst Pearson watched from the centre circle.

I could play his role and I’m 45 and recovering from surgery on my Achilles.

Is this some sort of shit joke that you're trying with this ongoing one-man tirade against Pearson?

You're an astute poster on every other subject. I just don't get it. It's not even a subjective judgement - you're simply unbelievably wrong.

Is this some sort of shit joke that you're trying with this ongoing one-man tirade against Pearson?

You're an astute poster on every other subject. I just don't get it. It's not even a subjective judgement - you're simply unbelievably wrong.
Hahaha exactly this, everyone has a right to an opinion but perhaps they shouldn’t in this situation, bizarre stuff from Justin.