Whiskey

Eddie.

Chief Shithouse
Patron
Great thread. I began trying out and getting into various whiskies over the past 12 months. Enjoyed Talisker, although as some have said it’s quite an acquired taste. Cardhu gold reserve is often on offer in supermarkets and is very smooth. Favourite so far is the Bunnahabhain from Islay. Not too peaty or medicinal like some from Islay, it’s really good stuff.
Bunnahabhain’s a good one. Have you tried Caol Ila? I’m a big fan, especially of the independent bottlings.

Bunnahabhain’s a good one. Have you tried Caol Ila? I’m a big fan, especially of the independent bottlings.

I haven’t tried it but cheers for the recommendation. I’ve come across a coastal collection set online which includes Caol Ila and Clynelish and intend to try it.

Waddie

Forum Patron
Patron
I believe brandy and cognac are one and the same. In France it is brandy, Spain cognac. Just to confuse matters there is also armagnac! All similar (to us mere mortals)but different!
1866 is a brandy that I have bought with regularity from Spain. Those that have been introduced to it by myself have, unfortunately, enjoyed it.
In my mind it is quite easy to transgress from some spirits to another, as indeed this thread has done.
I have now moved on from 1866 brandy to Kraken rum!
This just goes to show that our tastes adapt, change, or just wait for something better to cone along.
As far as the thread goes may I suggest that it is of no use to someone who is just starting out on 'the whisky trail'. My first whisky was taken in Calcutta, in the summer in a hot and steamy cabin!!
Make of that what you want but I'll tell you it wasn't something I enjoyed, in fact for the next 5 or 6 years I always gagged when trying another whisky, until I found one that I liked!
And that is what it us about, not the most expensive one, not the pure malt but one you like. And to do that you may have to try a hot one in Calcutta!
Phew.
And yes, I've had a tipple or two, but then i am on holiday 😛

Eddie.

Chief Shithouse
Patron
I believe brandy and cognac are one and the same. In France it is brandy, Spain cognac. Just to confuse matters there is also armagnac! All similar (to us mere mortals)but different!
1866 is a brandy that I have bought with regularity from Spain. Those that have been introduced to it by myself have, unfortunately, enjoyed it.
In my mind it is quite easy to transgress from some spirits to another, as indeed this thread has done.
I have now moved on from 1866 brandy to Kraken rum!
This just goes to show that our tastes adapt, change, or just wait for something better to cone along.
As far as the thread goes may I suggest that it is of no use to someone who is just starting out on 'the whisky trail'. My first whisky was taken in Calcutta, in the summer in a hot and steamy cabin!!
Make of that what you want but I'll tell you it wasn't something I enjoyed, in fact for the next 5 or 6 years I always gagged when trying another whisky, until I found one that I liked!
And that is what it us about, not the most expensive one, not the pure malt but one you like. And to do that you may have to try a hot one in Calcutta!
Phew.
And yes, I've had a tipple or two, but then i am on holiday 😛
Definitely had a tipple there pal. Cognac is from France and is made with distilled wine where Brandy is from anywhere and can be made with any old fruit.

Its all horses for courses though as you say. 👍🏻

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
Have tended to end up on cognac after a long day watching rugby in France.

You can, of course, continue drinking during the game which sorts out the men from the boys.

Eddie.

Chief Shithouse
Patron
Now
The big question
Whiskey
Single malt
Quality brand
Can you. Add ice ?
Not for me. I can drink stuff like Haig Club or JD with coke and ice if I fancy a long drink in the afternoon sun, but for a single malt I would never put ice or a mixer in. I might put a couple of drops of water in to open it up but I'm talking single drops out of a pipette. This usually works best with the cask strength stuff where you can get it to taste exactly as you want it.
The more discerning distilleries/bottlers bottle their whisky above 40% ABV so you can add water. This is because if it is below 40% ABV when it is bottled it cannot be called Scotch Whisky.

I’ve had it served with boiling water in a brandy glass and the brandy in another glass seated on top heats
I guess it’s to get a better experience ?

Tried this at home once after seeing it done in a restaurant. The glass shattered and I poured boiling water over my hand! 🥵

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
Not for me. I can drink stuff like Haig Club or JD with coke and ice if I fancy a long drink in the afternoon sun, but for a single malt I would never put ice or a mixer in. I might put a couple of drops of water in to open it up but I'm talking single drops out of a pipette. This usually works best with the cask strength stuff where you can get it to taste exactly as you want it.
The more discerning distilleries/bottlers bottle their whisky above 40% ABV so you can add water. This is because if it is below 40% ABV when it is bottled it cannot be called Scotch Whisky.

Tried this at home once after seeing it done in a restaurant. The glass shattered and I poured boiling water over my hand! 🥵
That (sorry) made me laugh
Best laid plans of mice and men
I had a similar incident trying to show of with sambuca and flaming it with a coffee been in

Waddie

Forum Patron
Patron
Definitely had a tipple there pal. Cognac is from France and is made with distilled wine where Brandy is from anywhere and can be made with any old fruit.

oops, funny how you can get simple things muxed ip!

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron

ah ha! good one eddie, really enjoyed drinking Slivovitz/slivovitza/slivovice in croatia/balkans, you're right its made from loads of different fruits or even nuts but most commonly with plums, absolutely sensational