PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Whiskey

I've not drunk whisky (or whiskey for that matter) since 22nd March 1977. I had way too much of it on the football special train on the way to watch PNE get beat 1-0 at Crystal Palace that night, and the smell of it still makes my stomach flip.

Palace scored a really fluky late winner, and we dropped out of the promotion race.

Great thread. I began trying out and getting into various whiskies over the past 12 months. Enjoyed Talisker, although as some have said it’s quite an acquired taste. Cardhu gold reserve is often on offer in supermarkets and is very smooth. Favourite so far is the Bunnahabhain from Islay. Not too peaty or medicinal like some from Islay, it’s really good stuff.

For the uneducated and for those who can stretch to around £2, there is a rather sharp tasting Malt called Vinegar 😂

If I may reply to the thread JD without you getting all prissy,

I got a nice bottle of Penderyn Whisky for my Birthday, brewed in Aberdare in Wales.

I once went on a whiskey tasting afternoon in Edinburgh. They had us sampling neat whiskeys & insisted we tried it with dark chocolate. Apparently , it helped to bring out the flavours. Any one else experienced/does this?

I once went on a whiskey tasting afternoon in Edinburgh. They had us sampling neat whiskeys & insisted we tried it with dark chocolate. Apparently , it helped to bring out the flavours. Any one else experienced/does this?
My dad used to do that. He said it 'just went together'.

Yes - I remember doing that in the The Whisky Shop on the Grassmarket. We popped in on a numbingly-cold winter's day and sampled some of the individual casks from various single malts. Stumbled back out into the frosty Edinburgh air - magic!

And that was also part of my whisky education - a single malt is still blended from various different casks, the master blender still has to get the mix right. So even single malts are still 'blended whiskies', sort of. In the whisky shop they sell the individual casks, and it's interesting how different they can all be.

I'm not advocating that you buy two bottles of Tullamore, but after finishing one, you may wish that you had!
Not too sure where you can buy the ginormous ones like wot I got :ROFLMAO:
Enjoy!

If you want an affordable yet rather smooth single try old pultney
For a twelve year old malt, I think it’s a bargain when you can pick it up at twenty six quid a bottle.
Lots of cinder toffee and vanilla and a bit of salt in Pulteney which comes from those bourbon casks left to mature by the sea.
Interestingly, up until a few years ago it was the most northerly distillery in mainland Scotland but then the old Wolfburn distillery was resurrected at Thurso and it is now this which is the most northerly.