White Ball Cricket 2021

OP
J

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
Even in the last over. 12 needed from 4 - he hit it wide of long on (I think to his wrong hand too). Trying to run two would have been a bit risky - but surely they get two 8 or 9 times out of 10. - Far less risky than refusing the run.

So 12 from 3. He hits it into the deep again- - almost straight to the fielder so pray for a poor throw - but just chance it FFS. Needing 10 off the last 2 would have been unlikely but keeps you just in the game. Zero chance of getting two sixes.

Hard to criticise after he had managed to put us in that position- but was he protecting his N.O. -or just miscalculating the risks? Bit annoyed.

Had to go out and foolishly didn’t tape the finish yet I really don’t think Curran would have been playing for the red ink....!

We played one season of indoor cricket and I used to go in last when you could bat by yourself, if required, which was great.

We won all six matches and I steered us home three times. Nerves of steel!

OP
J

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
Then it would be terrible tactics- not sure which crime is worse!

Yes, come on Sam. You only equalled the world record for someone going in at 8 or below in an ODI.

#mustdobetter....

Sounds like he was actually under specific orders from the dressing room to protect Wood. Not helpful IMHO.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Yes, come on Sam. You only equalled the world record for someone going in at 8 or below in an ODI.

#mustdobetter....

Sounds like he was actually under specific orders from the dressing room to protect Wood. Not helpful IMHO.

#NoNeedForTheSarcasm

Sport, at the elite level, is about the finish... what you do when it really matters - in that championship decider, that grand-slam final or whatever. As you well know. He's only 22. So lots of accolades to him - I already fully acknowledged his remarkable innings. He did great. But he made fundamental tactical errors at the death (after Wood was out). Sorry if it offends you that I also mentioned that on a discussion board. :rolleyes:

OP
J

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
You being wrong doesn’t offend me.

Curran was 91 not out needing 12 off 4 with 1 wicket left.

His mate at the other end has the turning circle of the Ever Given and has hit 14 boundaries and 1 maximum in his entire career.

Curran has 618 4s and 128 6s, has just seen long-off run out Wood at the far end and quite rightly turned down a one and a half at best to the same fielder.

He backed himself to win it, as he had to, and came up short. That happens at elite level sport.

No fundamental tactical errors to see here.

pbc373

Forum Patron
Patron
For me the error was made when Wood was in and looking comfortable. Curran on at least two occasions and probably more, turned down a single off the first ball, didn't score off the second and then took a single of the third. There is absolutely no logic to that and if we assume they take the single off the first ball, Wood gets a single of the next ball and that happens two or three times, we win the game.

As I said earlier, hard to criticise Curran after his excellent knock, there just seemed a lack of clarity, whether that was from the batsmen in the middle or the coaching staff we don't really know.

Curran is another one who could easily open the batting if Roy goes on a bad run. Would be good to have someone who is selected for his batting who could also turn his arm over. Livingstone also falls into this category. Roy has the shirt and played well, but any drop off in form and we have the luxury of 3 or 4 others who could open the batting.

England need to try these things out in the coming seasons, rather than just keep trying to win series. How do we know if Parky can bowl under pressure if we don't try him. Leg Spinners tend to suffer injuries, if Rashid goes down close to the next world cup, we won't know who our best options are.
We seem to be protecting our number 1 status, makes me wonder if people are on bonuses for such things.

Michael

Advisor to the Owner
Exactly as I saw it too pbc.

The frustrating thing for me is that Buttler's place seems guaranteed because he is the vice captain and he is likely to keep his place at the expense of Livingstone and/or Malan in the next one day series. We've two other wicket keepers in our squad and I'd like to see them have the balls to drop Buttler and give the gloves to Bairstow or Billings. It might just be the rocket up the arse that Jos needs.

janiejones

I was at Deepdale November 5th 1985
Patron
Did anyone else hear Bumble wittering on the other day? When one of the Indian batsmen was out, he reckoned it was a wizard of a dismissal.

Caught Roy bowled Wood. Not as good as the batsman's Holding the bowler's Willey. Or, Lillee caught Willey bowled Dilley.

Last edited:

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
Did anyone else hear Bumble wittering on the other day? When one of the Indian batsmen was out, he reckoned it was a wizard of a dismissal.

Caught Roy bowled Wood. Not as good as the batsman's Holding the bowlers Willey. Or, Lillee caught Willey bowled Dilley.
To be fair to bumble , one of the viewers had tweeted it on his Twitter page.....

pbc373

Forum Patron
Patron
Chennai V Delhi Capitals today in the IPL.

English interest

Moeen & Sam Curran for Chennai
Woakes & Tom Curran for Delhi

Maybe catch the end of this one after North End is finished

chorleythehord

Forum Patron
Patron
Lots of uproar over the proposed European Super League for football and indignation on the BBC and Sky.

Yet in my view exactly the same thing has been allowed to happen in cricket with the disgusting 100 competition. Excluding smaller counties and chucking them a few scraps of money to keep them happy. With the BBC and Sky money supporting the idea.

Should be scrapped immediately.

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
Lots of uproar over the proposed European Super League for football and indignation on the BBC and Sky.

Yet in my view exactly the same thing has been allowed to happen in cricket with the disgusting 100 competition. Excluding smaller counties and chucking them a few scraps of money to keep them happy. With the BBC and Sky money supporting the idea.

Should be scrapped immediately.
I was watching the IPL earlier, as I do most nights, and thought similar about that competition. It‘s not a new format like the 100 but more along the lines of franchises existing largely for money.

I did enjoy the cricket though - and great to se Moeen get 3-8 in 3 overs tonight.

OP
J

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
The fundamental difference between the 100 and the footy is, of course, that the ECB, not breakaway counties, have set up the competition.

It’s tough to argue that the IPL is bad for cricket and, whilst I have reservations about the 100, I can see why they’ve done it.