PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

White Ball Cricket 2021

England have fought back well here, looked for all the world we would be chasing 400 when Pant was in.

Topley does seem to bowl better at the death, but I agree the fact that he's also injury prone and the next 50 over world cup is in October 2023, does make him a strange selection.

Mark Wood has had a good winter, really committed cricketer, hope he stays fit for the Ashes.
We need to wrap Wood up in cotton wool and manage his workload very carefully. Considering how ill he looks, he’s been magnificent today,

Topley has been around for ever but he’s only just turned 27. His height brings something different and I wouldn’t write him off just because he hasn’t quite got it right in two games. Hopefully he can get plenty of cricket under his belt this summer but there’s a lot of him to try and keep fit!

Topley has been around for ever but he’s only just turned 27. His height brings something different and I wouldn’t write him off just because he hasn’t quite got it right in two games. Hopefully he can get plenty of cricket under his belt this summer but there’s a lot of him to try and keep fit!
His record isn’t bad on the whole in ODIs, a wicket every 5 overs and an economy of 5.2. The fact he’s a left armed probably helps, if he’s going to play it could well be instead of Sam Curran who really hasn’t looked a threat in many of his matches.

Plenty of time before the next World Cup though. Stone, Mahmood, Overton and maybe even Willey could all get a chance before then.

We've done well to restrict them to 329. Looked like getting 370 at least. Still, we will need to bat well but we're more than capable.

One of the Officials today, 3rd Umpire I think, is Karumanaseri Ananthapadmanabham. Quite spectacular name. Anyone think of any official with a longer name? He even might outdo that train station in Wales!!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think we'd have won that if Curran would have kept rotating the strike with Wood rather than dotting 2 or 3 in a row trying to find a boundary.

Even in the last over. 12 needed from 4 - he hit it wide of long on (I think to his wrong hand too). Trying to run two would have been a bit risky - but surely they get two 8 or 9 times out of 10. - Far less risky than refusing the run.

So 12 from 3. He hits it into the deep again- - almost straight to the fielder so pray for a poor throw - but just chance it FFS. Needing 10 off the last 2 would have been unlikely but keeps you just in the game. Zero chance of getting two sixes.

Hard to criticise after he had managed to put us in that position- but was he protecting his N.O. -or just miscalculating the risks? Bit annoyed.

Even in the last over. 12 needed from 4 - he hit it wide of long on (I think to his wrong hand too). Trying to run two would have been a bit risky - but surely they get two 8 or 9 times out of 10. - Far less risky than refusing the run.

So 12 from 3. He hits it into the deep again- - almost straight to the fielder so pray for a poor throw - but just chance it FFS. Needing 10 off the last 2 would have been unlikely but keeps you just in the game. Zero chance of getting two sixes.

Hard to criticise after he had managed to put us in that position- but was he protecting his N.O. -or just miscalculating the risks? Bit annoyed.
I absolutely agree. The only mitigation might have been that Wood was clearly suffering from illness and might not have been as able to run quickly.

I absolutely agree. The only mitigation might have been that Wood was clearly suffering from illness and might not have been as able to run quickly.
That would be a brilliant argument - if Wood had actually still been at the crease for those final 4 deliveries that I was whinging about 😁