PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Who misses out?

T

TheFulwoodEnd

Regardless of how we feel this has been handled I would assume that conversations have been held with various members of the squad who won't be involved in the first team this season.

Whether that's through lack of interest or players prepared to sit on their wages it is what it is.

Will be interesting if two in particular at reserve football or pick up lots of "niggles" over the next few months.

So who will get left out?

Ripley - has to be a certainty - Lombard can act as cover if we had a disaster.

Harrop - Clearly not arsed about playing football, not his fault that he was given a new contract but appears to have chosen not to go and get games.

Izzy Brown - Injured.

Hunts - Sad as it is and he has my best wishes with whatever has happened but he's had no pre season, not trained and unlikely to play.

Now if they want to sign Wickham the next one is a bit more difficult. Whilst there is a couple who I don't think are good enough I'm unsure if they would leave them out?

Why keep Raferty and then leave him out?

Is Thomas in the plans to play before January? I would think so or why sign him?

Interesting 36 hours ahead.

I think it comes down to Harrop or Thomas.

GK: Iversen, Rudd, Hudson OR Ripley (3)
DF: Lindsay, Rafferty, Bauer, Hughes, Storey, Earl, Cunningham, Olosunde, VDB (9)
MF: Ledson, Browne, DJ, Potts, Whiteman, McCann, Sinclair, Barkhuizen, Murphy (9)
ST: Maguire, Riis, Evans (3)

So 24. Thomas or Harrop makes it 25.

No Hudson OR Ripley, no Huntington and no Wickham.

Regardless of how we feel this has been handled I would assume that conversations have been held with various members of the squad who won't be involved in the first team this season.

Whether that's through lack of interest or players prepared to sit on their wages it is what it is.

Will be interesting if two in particular at reserve football or pick up lots of "niggles" over the next few months.

So who will get left out?

Ripley - has to be a certainty - Lombard can act as cover if we had a disaster.

Harrop - Clearly not arsed about playing football, not his fault that he was given a new contract but appears to have chosen not to go and get games.

Izzy Brown - Injured.

Hunts - Sad as it is and he has my best wishes with whatever has happened but he's had no pre season, not trained and unlikely to play.

Now if they want to sign Wickham the next one is a bit more difficult. Whilst there is a couple who I don't think are good enough I'm unsure if they would leave them out?

Why keep Raferty and then leave him out?

Is Thomas in the plans to play before January? I would think so or why sign him?

Interesting 36 hours ahead.
I think you can make a case for any of Hudson, Ripley, Hunts, Rafferty, Harrop, Brown or Thomas to be left out, Izzy being the only certainty really.

I dont think the club will justify the risk of signing and registering Wickham at the expense of another pro, if he gets injured you've left out a fit player to make room for a crocked one.

The next risk to weigh up is if a young lad should take up the third GK berth, personally I'd go with that, great experience for him.

The final cut will come down to how the manager wants to play. Stick with the back 3, maybe keep more defenders in the team. Move to a back 4, add in a few more attacking players.

Will be interesting either way.

Think it's about time that TH bit the bullet on some of the players and just pay them off. If they are not in the 25 man squad then what is the point in having them around collecting a wage when they can't play. I'm sure that would affect team moral.

Is Thomas eligible for the Central League? I'm presuming he is on a lower wage than most so even having him around and covering CL games for the first part of the season whilst they see how he fares in training etc. would make sense rather than putting him in the 25 (unless the Evans injury is worse than we know)

Think it's about time that TH bit the bullet on some of the players and just pay them off. If they are not in the 25 man squad then what is the point in having them around collecting a wage when they can't play. I'm sure that would affect team moral.
I think the only guys left out of the squad will be Hunts, Thomas, Hudson and Brown. I see no need to pay any of those off.

Hunts has been out for personal reasons and after his long service paying him off seems a bit abrupt.

Thomas is still a work in progress. On a shirt term cheap deal. We can assess him in the central league.

Hudson can remain as goalies are always useful for training purposes if nothing else. Release in January or Summer.

And Izzy Brown is injured long term.

I think the only guys left out of the squad will be Hunts, Thomas, Hudson and Brown. I see no need to pay any of those off.

Hunts has been out for personal reasons and after his long service paying him off seems a bit abrupt.

Thomas is still a work in progress. On a shirt term cheap deal. We can assess him in the central league.

Hudson can remain as goalies are always useful for training purposes if nothing else. Release in January or Summer.

And Izzy Brown is injured long term.

Harrop is a certainty to miss out surely.

Hasn't kicked a ball all season and we are awash with midfiders. I mean even with about 5 injuries he still wouldn't get in the side.

They wanted rid but he didn't want to go.

Alongside Ripley I would be astounded if he was named in the 25.

I had forgotten about Hudson to be honest which says alot about his recent career with us.

I'd go with Iversen and Rudd with Lombard as back up.

Anyone that thinks Harrop will be left out of the 25 is sadly mistaken. There's no way McAvoy will be permitted to ditch him, not after he was given a three year contract extension.

A
I think you can make a case for any of Hudson, Ripley, Hunts, Rafferty, Harrop, Brown or Thomas to be left out, Izzy being the only certainty really.

I dont think the club will justify the risk of signing and registering Wickham at the expense of another pro, if he gets injured you've left out a fit player to make room for a crocked one.

The next risk to weigh up is if a young lad should take up the third GK berth, personally I'd go with that, great experience for him.

The final cut will come down to how the manager wants to play. Stick with the back 3, maybe keep more defenders in the team. Move to a back 4, add in a few more attacking players.

Will be interesting either way.
Agree with 3rd GK. Would love to see one of the youth keepers put in. Great experience to be around Rudd etc.

Anyone that thinks Harrop will be left out of the 25 is sadly mistaken. There's no way McAvoy will be permitted to ditch him, not after he was given a three year contract extension.

Given that Hemmings personally signed Nugent and paid him to sit on his arse for 12 months I wouldn't be so sure.

No chance Harrop will be in the 25.

Brown is obviously unavailable and will be one of those left out. Ripley is superfluous and must surely be another. Huntington will obviously also be omitted for other reasons. I just have a sneak feeling that Evans may have a more serious injury than has been let on and if that is the case and he is omitted we are down to 25 but back up to 26 if Wickham is given a deal - I can see absolutely no point in both of them being in the squad. So if we find ourselves looking for another one to prune the candidates seem to be Hudson if we allow that in an extreme situation we might have to play a youth player or Thomas if we decide to give him a few months to be developed in the reserves. Rafferty might be another option on the grounds that he is plainly not good enough to be a wing-back and that if we were to play a back four then we have options for the right-back position in both van den Berg and Olosunde though it should be stressed that there is nothing wrong with Rafferty's commitment.

If I were to guess...

GK: Iversen, Rudd, Ripley
DF: Olusunde, Sepp, Earl, Cunningham, Hughes, Bauer, Lindsay, Storey, Rafferty
MF: Ledson, Whiteman, McCann, Browne, DJ, Potts, Harrop
FW: Barkhuizen, Sinclair, Murphy, Riis, Maguire, Evans

Its close though, maybe we'll see a pay off for Ripley? Non league loan for Hudson?

Hunts vs Harrop vs Thomas was the toughest choice for me tbh, but this is what I expect to be picked. I, personally, don't think we need Rafferty in the squad, but the fact he's at least played in the Cup suggests he stays.