Who remembers Addison’s wine bar 60s/70s

OP
E

europne

Forum Patron
Patron
(...sorry, phone playing up)....The original Yates's down Main Sprit Weind was a lovely place, with its schooners of Australian White🙄. I believe it's a burger restaurant now.

That clears it up for me ta.

I’ve got it now, Addison’s was on Fishergate and Yates’s down the side street.

Can you recall the ‘beef and malt’ drink ?

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
I used to go in the Old cock on a Thursday afternoon, half day closing lol I had my first pint in the Wellington down by Booths. Bull and Royal was about one of the only hotels in Preston at the time. What about that dance club run by Nikki Attack? anyone know that ! Then a few years later came the Spindlemakers arms in Avenham, I'm back around the early 70's now. Weekends my mate and me used to go to Cavendish on Fridays, and either Mecca Blackpool or The Queens at Clevelys on a Saturday, my mate said lets try Barbarella's in Manchester...16 bob, fuck that. Toad hall sometimes though.
Went to Toad Hall once or twice in mid 80s. Had my first pint in the Welly aged about 15 in 1982. Landlord was an Asian chap called Roger.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
Nik Atack has been mentioned. He ended up running dance classes all over the place. Died a few years ago and got a big send off. Nice fella.

Nikki Atack had the Stax Club.

Wasn’t the Spindlemakers near North Road and Saul St baths and next to Wallys dance club, as teenagers we went there for soul music.......
Real memories there.
Stax Club was down a little alley near Boots chemist (Old OR New Cock Yard.)
Wally 's was on same side as the Lancaster, in the Hobkirk Dance Club.
Both were run by Nicky Atack.
Fantastic nights in both places with brilliant music.
Don't remember many of people who went, but can remember Christine from Wallys, who used to sell the tickets and her sister ran the soft drinks bar.
Bloody hell, just been thinking back, and it must be 50 years ago, or slightly longer.
Frightening.

Schemer

Forum Patron
Patron
Went on my first ever night out in 1997 at the tender age of 15 there during its life as 'Maddisons'. A mate's sister got us into the Sixth Form doo upstairs and we flipped between that and the main bar. Night ended when we tried to get into Toks and failed and then failed to get back into Maddison's.

Post Maddison's it's been Bar One, Revolution, Burgers & Bib, Rift & Co and a couple of other names. Last occupants went under when lockdown struck but it has since changed hands.

Interesting article on Main Spirit Weind and that little corner of town here... https://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2012/05/preston-past-fishergate100-years-of-change-part-3/

Thanks for the link AS. Fascinating stuff. For my sins, my first place of work in 1966 was the large establishment on the corner of MSW and Fishergate, which is now a pub (Squares?).

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
Was that previously the Yates wine bar before it moved into Addison’s?

Or was it a completely different establishment.....
Addisons became grey horse, then Yates, then down the alley to the side there was The Turks head which was separate back then, (I think) though it’s probably all been incorporated into the same building now

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Addisons became grey horse, then Yates, then down the alley to the side there was The Turks head which was separate back then, (I think) though it’s probably all been incorporated into the same building now
They might well have been separate, 06, though I'm sure you get from one to the other while you were actually inside, if I remember correctly.