PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Who remembers Addison’s wine bar 60s/70s

europne

Patron
In an alleyway of fishergate.

Used to sell big schooners of Australian knock you out sherry.

Beef and malt.....?

Yep used to go there and yates/remember the Bull & Royal ?

Bull and Royal cockpit bar.....

After a touch of research Addison’s was bought by Yates’s and is in the same building.

But there was another of these wine bar ( don’t get them confused with today’s wine bars, they were rough!), it was down a very narrow street by the bank which was next to the old Booths shop which is now Waterstones bookshop.

After a touch of research Addison’s was bought by Yates’s and is in the same building.

But there was another of these wine bar ( don’t get them confused with today’s wine bars, they were rough!), it was down a very narrow street by the bank which was next to the old Booths shop which is now Waterstones bookshop.
There was The Bodega 2, which became Lou's long bar, near there.

I used to go in the Old cock on a Thursday afternoon, half day closing lol I had my first pint in the Wellington down by Booths. Bull and Royal was about one of the only hotels in Preston at the time. What about that dance club run by Nikki Attack? anyone know that ! Then a few years later came the Spindlemakers arms in Avenham, I'm back around the early 70's now. Weekends my mate and me used to go to Cavendish on Fridays, and either Mecca Blackpool or The Queens at Clevelys on a Saturday, my mate said lets try Barbarella's in Manchester...16 bob, fuck that. Toad hall sometimes though.

Think it might have been called the Turks Head Lounge.

I used to go in the Old cock on a Thursday afternoon, half day closing lol I had my first pint in the Wellington down by Booths. Bull and Royal was about one of the only hotels in Preston at the time. What about that dance club run by Nikki Attack? anyone know that ! Then a few years later came the Spindlemakers arms in Avenham, I'm back around the early 70's now. Weekends my mate and me used to go to Cavendish on Fridays, and either Mecca Blackpool or The Queens at Clevelys on a Saturday, my mate said lets try Barbarella's in Manchester...16 bob, fuck that. Toad hall sometimes though.

Lancaster Road.

Do you mean The Brunswick in Avenham?

The dance school was called Dancers. As just posted above Spindlemakers was on Lancaster Road.
There was also a music pub on Lancaster Road for a while called the Coconut Grove.

was that what became the Jazz bar?

The old Jazz Bar was The Empire Hotel up that alleyway leading to the side of the Guild Hall. I think it was the *Commercial Hotel across the street. Both places were real dives but both buildings are still there.

*Edit- Central Hotel

Last edited:

Nikki Atack had the Stax Club.

Wasn’t the Spindlemakers near North Road and Saul St baths and next to Wallys dance club, as teenagers we went there for soul music.......

(...sorry, phone playing up)....The original Yates's down Main Sprit Weind was a lovely place, with its schooners of Australian White🙄. I believe it's a burger restaurant now.

(...sorry, phone playing up)....The original Yates's down Main Sprit Weind was a lovely place, with its schooners of Australian White🙄. I believe it's a burger restaurant now.

Went on my first ever night out in 1997 at the tender age of 15 there during its life as 'Maddisons'. A mate's sister got us into the Sixth Form doo upstairs and we flipped between that and the main bar. Night ended when we tried to get into Toks and failed and then failed to get back into Maddison's.

Post Maddison's it's been Bar One, Revolution, Burgers & Bib, Rift & Co and a couple of other names. Last occupants went under when lockdown struck but it has since changed hands.

Interesting article on Main Spirit Weind and that little corner of town here... https://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2012/05/preston-past-fishergate100-years-of-change-part-3/