Why are flys etc thick as pig shit ?

beagleman

Advisor to the Owner
Sat in front room and this large fly ( bluebottle in old money) is flying round the room buzzing and going up/down left /right... On glass.. Off glass.. Presumably trying to get out... Heres the thing... The windows are open.. As is the door to the conservatory and its double doors are open.. Try to swat the little git towards an open escape route and it just comes back inside.... Thick bastard

janiejones

I was at Deepdale November 5th 1985
Patron
Similar problem here. Windows and doors open, they get in, but insist on doing what you described. I'm indoors now, armed with my Raid fly killer, that soon sorts the fuckers out.

MrHodgeheg123

Tickety-boo
I've recently noticed quite a few spiders webs amongst the ivy in our back garden.
One is home to a particularly large specimen so I've recently taken to capturing flies in the house and depositing them on said web.
Out he comes like a bullet and it's goodnight Vienna.
Fascinating creatures.

Realistic

usual liker
Patron
Believe it or not (I'm not apologising for irritating insects BTW but they aren't really deliberately irritating) flies are intelligent. I remember reading a book by an American convict, (wrongly) imprisoned for years in solitary confinement, strapped up tight in a straight jacket soaked in water to shrink it, so that his torture would be even greater. A fly that landed on his nose became his (only) friend, believe it or not. He got to know it intimately (how about that eh?). Wasn't much chance of him swatting it, was there.

Realistic

usual liker
Patron
I've recently noticed quite a few spiders webs amongst the ivy in our back garden.
One is home to a particularly large specimen so I've recently taken to capturing flies in the house and depositing them on said web.
Out he comes like a bullet and it's goodnight Vienna.
Fascinating creatures.
I tend to pull them out of webs if they're alive. If they're dead I leave them.

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
Believe it or not (I'm not apologising for irritating insects BTW but they aren't really deliberately irritating) flies are intelligent. I remember reading a book by an American convict, (wrongly) imprisoned for years in solitary confinement, strapped up tight in a straight jacket soaked in water to shrink it, so that his torture would be even greater. A fly that landed on his nose became his (only) friend, believe it or not. He got to know it intimately (how about that eh?). Wasn't much chance of him swatting it, was there.
Did you watch "The Fly" episode in Breaking Bad? :)

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
Sat in front room and this large fly ( bluebottle in old money) is flying round the room buzzing and going up/down left /right... On glass.. Off glass.. Presumably trying to get out... Heres the thing... The windows are open.. As is the door to the conservatory and its double doors are open.. Try to swat the little git towards an open escape route and it just comes back inside.... Thick bastard
Horrible things… I hate it when you go out for a meal and they start flying around your food..

They truly are germ-spreading bastards