PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Why do people give justification of our owner?

Ellypne19

Cult Hero
So Peoro speaks about about lack of investment, then Lancs Live runs a story of how he pumped money in last season, we all know he keeps the club afloat, but that is in his interest to do so!!! We will never make the jump with Hemmings at the helm!!!

So Peoro speaks about about lack of investment, then Lancs Live runs a story of how he pumped money in last season, we all know he keeps the club afloat, but that is in his interest to do so!!! We will never make the jump with Hemmings at the helm!!!
And thats why so many of the fans aren’t happy with Hemmings being here, we will achieve nothing whilst he is here, we may achieve less with him not here but that is still something I would still like to see. Last season was another backwards step, we are not even going in the right direction. The paying fans are wasting their money.

And herein lies the problem.

There's investing to keep the business afloat, which is what these share issues of £4m between February and April will inevitably be for.

Then there's investing to further the business and investing in the squad.

Just treading water and this "stay afloat" mentality isn't going to get us anywhere near the Premier League.

There's investing to keep the business afloat, which is what these share issues of £4m between February and April will inevitably be for.

Just treading water and this "stay afloat" mentality isn't going to get us anywhere near the Premier League.

Indeed.

Which does leave the question what does Trevor gain from keeping us on life support? Why does he seem content to keep us plodding along in the Championship and having to continuously plough money in to just keep us plodding along.

I have no doubt that Trevor Hemming's cares for North End albeit not as much as he loves racing but why would a 80 odd year old fella not want to see us make that final step, or at least appear to try to get us there.

I don't understand and don't think I ever will.

Not only is this true, but this mentality is not guaranteed to stop us going down, as we already know to our cost.

Is there another wealthy owner like ours at any other club? How about Mike Ashley, Whats his story?
imagine pumping millions into a football club, receiving little thanks from fans and next to no chance of ever progressing, its just too strange!

In answer to the OP, many turn it into a personal finance conundrum and lower it to a level you can't debate.
Course there's no one else lined up to step in and take over.
The journey to the point we're at now is covered in depth.

What for me is now extremely concerning is that even with this staying afloat approach, it'll run out of feasibility way before it'll ever deliver a lasher style miracle, but the consistent waste of money and lack of planning is astonishing that no alternative approach is considered, it's turning support off no doubt about it. There's fuck all to get invested in, that's a big issue, and the investment is very substantial and should be treasured and dealt with in a much more sophisticated way. Player trading, player development, a vision the support can ge behind and back 100%

Years ago I somehow obtained an LP record which was shite and I’ve no idea where it came from....it was called Busy Going Nowhere and I often think the title sums us up.

Owning a football club is nothing like watching an episode of Dragon's Den. (Well, not the way TH does it, anyway). It appears to be nothing to do with investment strategy, a marketable product, or ROI.

But not having a published strategy makes it difficult to criticise or justify his ownership. There's little to pin anything on.

Trevor loves horses.
But he loves cheap horses, he loves National Hunt racing, not flat racing where the big money and big costs are.
And he treats the football club the same way. He keeps it alive and playing at a decent level. He is keeping it on a life supprt machine.
The one way of getting his money back or a proportion of his money back is promotion, but he doesn't want to speculate.

It is mega frustrating. I think anyone that doesn't at least in some way appreciate the money he does put in to keep us 'competitive' is way off the mark. There are a load of clubs a hell of a lot worse off than we are.

However.....it is so frustrating to never see us even try and make that little push to get on the PL gravy train. As much I despise parachute payments, they are still here & that one promotion would mean Trevor doesn't have to put anything in for a good few years at least as long as we're run properly which we all know we are financially.

We're also told that Hemmings would apparently sell should someone come along who wants to take it forward, but he wants ridiculous money for the club, so that's a non starter.

So we're stuck. If it doesn't change, barring a complete fluke season where everything clicks, we'll always be somewhere between not quite being up to getting in the play offs or just managing to stay up. Or worse. I fear what would happen to us if we were to go back down to League 1 again under the current setup.

As simply as Pearson put it, I hadn't really thought of the 'less risk each time' factor. Basically sell Hugill for 10 million and buy three of the very best lower league players for three million a piece. Only one needs to make good. Do that cycle three times and you have actually made back the millions. Crazy.

I dunno, I find it hypocritical to criticise him myself as I don't know what it feels like to put 70m plus into something. Hemmings' having this huge change of heart would be no magic bullet if you are making our kind of signings and given contracts out all over the show for nothing.

While I agree with the sentiment the truth is likely that Lancs Live have a line to tow with the club, criticism of the owner would likely see them shut out.

There's some nonsense posted on the site re Hemmings.

1. Firslty, it's his club. He puts more into the club per year than the entirety of the support put together.
2. Under FFP the maximum an owner can put in is £8m a year although another £5m may be put in to offset loss. Hemmings has been putting in up to £6m a year , during Covid this is likely to have risen to £10m
3. Even if Hemmings put in the absolute max allowed by FFP....£24m and up to £39m over a 3 years period...there is no way this can 'take the club forward'.
4. The club turnover is around £20m a year (with only around £4m gate/ST money) . Take for example a club coming down...bottom of the Prem. Shef U. They finish their Prem season with over £90m for simply finishing the season. They start the next season with £33m of their over £90m parachute payment money. On top of which , of course, they are likely to average a near 30,000 gate if allowed. At any one time there are up to 9 Championship clubs receiving parachute payments alone exceeding PNE turnover.
5. Even if TH put in the absolue max allowed the club would stil not have even half the turnover of clubs at the top end of the Championship.
6. Reality, is that in terms of size, PNE is a top end L1 size club, possibly bottom end Champioship. Without the annual TH input it would be just top end L1.

Pearson has zero responsibility for ensuring the club pays its way...the current way ensures the club will be here when Pearson is long forgotten. What do fans want? Another Wednesday, Derby or even Bury?

There is zero chance of a club PNE's size now getting to the Prem..it has created a self-perpetuation with its failure money. The only way Brentford has done it is by being ahead of the game with regards to their analytical approach to recruitmernt (their promotion push started 8/9 years ago..they couldn't do it now bec others have now caught up) and by having an owner who also owns a Danish club. .

The name of the game for PNE is staying in the Championship and not running up external debt that can not be met ..and, if you can, fans enjoying it. because without TH it would be back to L1.

Even so it should still be a matter of concern that internal debt has escalated..club must now owe TH close on £70m. Such internal debt sunk Bolton and Wigan.

Reality is that the club can't even afford the current wage bill...it is far too high. (And unless the internal debt is eventually written off the club doesn't have a future).