PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Why Don't Saloon Cars Have Rear Windscreen Wipers?

The shape( apparently) means that water should be blown off by swirling air....by the same process, that air will tend to lift the wipers and render them ineffective.

Yup, I googled it. :)

The shape( apparently) means that water should be blown off by swirling air....by the same process, that air will tend to lift the wipers and render them ineffective.

Yup, I googled it. :)
Yeah I've read a similar thing, although not sure that self-drying thing really works.

Perhaps if you're doing a constant 70mph, fine, but as soon as you stop at the lights and the rain's wacking down, how am I supposed to see the bloke behind me picking his nose.

We can put a man on the moon but...

Yeah I've read a similar thing, although not sure that self-drying thing really works.

Perhaps if you're doing a constant 70mph, fine, but as soon as you stop at the lights and the rain's wacking down, how am I supposed to see the bloke behind me picking his nose.

Yup...your comment interested me enough ( sad, but true!) to read a few comments after the article I came across......many people point out that a) some saloon cars DO have them..or have had them in the past and b) Reversing is a nightmare in some conditions.

The suspicion is that manufacturers are using the `airflow` theory as a cynical way to save money...

the aerodynamic properties of a saloon,determined,by their shape,dictate,that a wiper,by description,is not required.

Ah!
But did we??👩‍🚀🚀🤔

I didn't have one on my Mazda 6 and it was a pain as it only really worked i.e. cleared when on the motorway.

Borrowed my girlfriends Dad's MG a few months ago when I was between cars.

Spent about an hour looking for the rear wiper. Felt like a right tit when I realised it didn't exist.

Apparently the absence of one makes the car look nicer.

Didn't know it was a thing.