PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Yaxley-Lennon again!!!

Nail on head Joan but I don't think that they should be entitled..... Being indoctrinated shouldn't be acceptable no matter what....
My kids went to a C of E High school. Many happened in their lives whilst there, all of them positive.

Indoctrination never happened.

My kids went to a C of E High school. Many happened in their lives whilst there, all of them positive.

Indoctrination never happened.

C of E insn't a religion.... Well not in the way we are currently discussing..................... If I remember rightly it was invented in order to get a divorce.. :)

So, fuck all to do with “enforced segregation “ and all the other shite you spout. A non-Muslim woman trying to run a gym class! Funny as fuck. ????

She saw a niche market by exploiting a repressive religion.................................. It appears to have bitten her on the arse.

I’ve no problem with women only gym and swim sessions etc so long as the same is done for blokes, but think the line should be drawn an sessions based on religion, a Muslim woman should be fine with other women, if anyone made them uncomfortable because of their differences, the person causing the discomfort should be stopped from attending.

She saw a niche market by exploiting a repressive religion.................................. It appears to have bitten her on the arse.
That's right, a non-Muslim women thought, I'll get a few Muslim women to come and get a bit of exercise for £5 a pop at Beeston community centre. She gets death threats from a man paid a lot more by an American billionaire. Then you come on blathering about enforced segregation. Do something useful, you, Joan and the monkey should get your yellow vests on and toddle off down the flag market and see how many follow you. ????

The

You make a good point Joan but there is another form of indoctrination which occurred slowly over the past 40 years. Its intentions were good and probably still are. It is the indoctrination of political correctness. Initially beginning as a movement to educate the populace about racism and other forms of prejudice. So far, so good. Unfortunately it mutated into PC thought which is so frightened of confronting and discussing difficult issues that it shuts down debate with accusations of prejudice. The irony is lost on its proponents.

I have absolutely no problem with Muslim only classes as long as they are willing to offer the same for every section of society. That's kind of how it works see. If I provide an opportunity in my school for a pupil and deny it to another pupil then the activity can be stopped through legal recourse. It is rather like the women's only swim hour at the local pool. When questioned about why there is not a male equivalent then the classic response is that there is no need or no demand. When you check you find that they haven't asked. The tired old assumption is that no men feel uncomfortable with their bodies in front of women. Really? How do they know?

Similarly the men only golf clubs which have been the subject of much scrutiny in recent years. Well apparently that's not OK. However, the Ladies only golf clubs, of which there are several, are absolutely fine!

Those who have had all their objective thoughts washed away by politically correct thinking, will often cite plausible and persuasive explanations as to why these counter examples of prejudice/sexism/racism or whatever are OK. However, they are almost always rooted in flawed logic and based upon theories which permit prejudice against so-called 'privileged' members of society as if all members of the same certain socio-economic/gender/ethnic groups think and behave in exactly the same way. Ironically this in itself is a prejudiced way of thinking!

Sick of it!

Just to offer another angle, more about the language of political correctness.

I have to be aware of political correctness whenever I am doing academic work - there, it makes sense. In a paper, you have to use neutral language to make sure that there will be no offence, now and for many years into the future. Not just in terms of race, religion, gender, and sexuality, but generally - you would never refer to 'Aids Victims' or 'Cancer Sufferers,' for example.

If you read papers from even a few decades ago, some of the terms used would shock the modern reader.

This has leached into the mainstream - not necessarily a bad thing at all, but it can go too far, IMO. The world of academia does not always resemble the outside world, and such an approach can strip out all context from words and descriptions.

I have to be aware of political correctness whenever I am doing academic work - there, it makes sense. In a paper, you have to use neutral language to make sure that there will be no offence, now and for many years into the future. Not just in terms of race, religion, gender, and sexuality, but generally - you would never refer to 'Aids Victims' or 'Cancer Sufferers,' for example.

If you read papers from even a few decades ago, some of the terms used would shock the modern reader.

This has leached into the mainstream - not necessarily a bad thing at all, but it can go too far, IMO. The world of academia does not always resemble the outside world, and such an approach can strip out all context from words and descriptions.

I agree as a society we needed to clean up our act in some terminology and actions and indeed a wider more enlightened view towards sections of our community.

However there are those who have seen that PC is a powerful controlling mechanism and use it as a weapon to further there own beliefs.( ironically its original intent historically).

It’s now used maliciously to brainwash people, shut down debate and close open minds. It’s borderline evil suppression of thought and the world of Academia is a major culprit.

I agree as a society we needed to clean up our act in some terminology and actions and indeed a wider more enlightened view towards sections of our community.

However there are those who have seen that PC is a powerful controlling mechanism and use it as a weapon to further there own beliefs.( ironically its original intent historically).

It’s now used maliciously to brainwash people, shut down debate and close open minds. It’s borderline evil suppression of thought and the world of Academia is a major culprit.
None of it more so evident than when it comes to anyone daring to criticise Israel.

That's why I am always very, very wary when governments create legislation to govern what you can and cannot say. That is very easily misused and opens up the proverbial slippery slope towards suppression of free speech. The Count Dankula case (admittedly a different legal system) sent a shiver down my spine when the magistrate said that context is not important when you utter certain words and phrases. That is wrong, IMO - there are circumstances where it is acceptable to use vile and offensive words in some contexts, but the fact that you can be arrested and imprisoned is worrying.

Even more chilling was the fact that few comedians or writers spoke out about that case - especially those who make a living out of 'offensive' comedy.

The avoidance of value laden terminology and the use of objective language in the groves of academe isn't a PC conspiracy and it's not new. It was part of my research training in the late 70s

The avoidance of value laden terminology and the use of objective language in the groves of academe isn't a PC conspiracy and it's not new. It was part of my research training in the late 70s
When did I say it was a conspiracy? I think it is right and also important to use political correctness and neutral language in academic papers.

I am very aware of the history of it - my bread and butter, so to speak :)

Nor is it reserved for academia. The issue is; Why are the right such hypocritical snowflakes? Interesting article in The Guardian from a couple of years ago, too long for most on here.

When did I say it was a conspiracy? I think it is right and also important to use political correctness and neutral language in academic papers.

I am very aware of the history of it - my bread and butter, so to speak :)

Where did I say that you were alleging it was a conspiracy? I was making a general point about the hysteria that academia tends to attract from those who fail to understand the way in which it works and/or have bees in the bonnets about how academia is a hotbed of lefties plotting revolution and brain washing the gullible. (cf the UCLAN thread the other day)

The general point is that the rights of free speech carry with them the responsibilities of using that gift appropriately. When your rights to free speech impinge upon my rights as a citizen we have a problem

Nor is it reserved for academia. The issue is; Why are the right such hypocritical snowflakes? Interesting article in The Guardian from a couple of years ago, too long for most on here.
Thanks for that. I must have missed it when it was published.

I'll read it later in full but going off the first scan I'd suggest a quote

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist"