PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

You Wouldn't See That These Days!

nigelscamelcoat

Tofu eating wokerati
Patron
So I spotted the hilarious clip below of Sunderland fans having a laugh at Springfield park and remembered a few things about that particular dump.
Couldn't find a thread to put it on so decided to do this for all the random stuff from the past which just couldn't happen in the modern game. Some for better some not.
I bet there's loads of funny stuff especially from away trips and not necessarily Nobber related.
Enjoy the clip!

That's nuts!

To think people could afford to see a football match and dick about in the mud and not feel they wasted their money dicking about in mud.
I don't even go to the loo mid match because I'm wasting something like 34p a minute I ain't glued to the game.

That's nuts!

To think people could afford to see a football match and dick about in the mud and not feel they wasted their money dicking about in mud.
I don't even go to the loo mid match because I'm wasting something like 34p a minute I ain't glued to the game.
It is. Away games especially are nowhere near much fun as they were. There were a lot more unscripted occurring away from the pitch. Views of the pitch are much better these days. Sometimes you had to fill in the missing bits in the lead up to goals.

That's nuts!

On pricing. I would go to most PNE games at home and a good few away. When that wasn't possible we'd jump on one of the coaches which operated from Chorley Flat Iron. They'd go to both Liverpool and Manchester clubs PNE, Blackburn, Bolton. .. I could afford all this on paper Round or pot washing money. I know I sound like an old timer but that's a tangible difference.

How much were tickets back then, say pre 90s? Was it the equivalent of how much non-league matches cost to watch now?
I was going to say about a quid to get on the Kopp at anfield or Stretford end circa 1984ish. But that sounded a bit far fetched. A bit of research backs that up however. Someone quoting £1.70 for an under 16 to get on the Kop-1984. A couple of quid on the coach. It was full of kids! A fair bit cheaper than non league today.

This clip is great and illustrates the sheer enthusiasm often missing in the UK game. I've been on a few games in Spain (la liga segunda) and witnessed similar to this. The correography reminded me of the Middlesborough fan in when we played them in the cup in 1986. They were rocking back amd forth to the beat of 'we will rock you'. Then they went on to trash thier own stand. Memorable but scary day.

I remember going to Wigan when I was about 15 in 93/94🤔

We were all behind the nets on that shitty end when hundreds more North End fans started coming in after the game had started.

As the end was already packed The stewards started moving people into their end at the side with fans, me included running across the pitch to do this.

The second our fans were in there it kicked off straight away as there was about 5 stewards separating us from Wigan fans.

You certainly won’t see that happening again.

I remember going to Wigan when I was about 15 in 93/94🤔

We were all behind the nets on that shitty end when hundreds more North End fans started coming in after the game had started.

As the end was already packed The stewards started moving people into their end at the side with fans, me included running across the pitch to do this.

The second our fans were in there it kicked off straight away as there was about 5 stewards separating us from Wigan fans.

You certainly won’t see that happening again.
I wasn't there that day but it did end up as carnage most visits to Springfield Park. How it wasn't condemned years before thier eventual move is unbelievable. Similar to the game where David Eyres scored that fantastic volley ended 2-2.

So I spotted the hilarious clip below of Sunderland fans having a laugh at Springfield park and remembered a few things about that particular dump.
Couldn't find a thread to put it on so decided to do this for all the random stuff from the past which just couldn't happen in the modern game. Some for better some not.
I bet there's loads of funny stuff especially from away trips and not necessarily Nobber related.
Enjoy the clip!

Very similar scenes when we visited around New Year in 1988. I’d gone on a coach that day for some reason and the coach was absolutely filthy by the time we got home - although the fact it would have been a Mercer’s coach possibly meant it was already filthy!

Oddly enough I was at that game to witness the Sunderland fans doing this at half time. Around the time I used to go to the occasional Wigan home game with some Leyland based Wigan supporting mates (??!!) when PNE were away. Springfield Park was a complete dump, but there was always something about an away trip there

Some great memories @nigelscamelcoat. Springfield Park was a proper shithole. I went loads of times, but have never been to the new ground.
As regards the Wolves fan who fell through the stand roof, amazingly he didn't suffer any serious injury. I heard/read that because he was pissed, he was relaxed, or something like that, when he fell, and as a consequence landed ok, only suffering a few bruises.
Scarborough's introduction to league football was a rude awakening for both the club and the town. Their first 3 home games were, Wolves, Bumley and Bolton, who all took large followings and caused damage to the ground and mayhem in town.

Went to Scarborough v Halifax in the early 90s when Big John was in charge of The Shaymen and Little Ronnie was playing.

No chance of me causing any mayhem. I was almost frozen solid!

Brilliant videos. That mud slope was treacherous. Think someone broke their leg on it. Can’t remember if it was the day we were there, or if we heard it had happened the week before.

Did that Wolves fan survive that fall through the roof?

Enjoy the clip!

If you could please refrain from posting videos from the late 80’s and through the 90’s that are Nobber related it would be much appreciated as I am embarrassed 😞

Oddly enough I was at that game to witness the Sunderland fans doing this at half time. Around the time I used to go to the occasional Wigan home game with some Leyland based Wigan supporting mates (??!!) when PNE were away. Springfield Park was a complete dump, but there was always something about an away trip there
The Springfield Arms was always entertaining. I drunkenly once found a microphone in there with a mate and caused mayhem singing songs with a mate 😂