PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Your First Idol?

FTF

Club Legend
We're starting a new feature on the website called "My First Idol" and got to wondering, who was your first proper idol at North End while you grew up supporting?

Alex Dawson was my absolute idol as a kid.

4539a966-d784-4f9f-8b30-2fa99c85ff21

Last edited:
I had two idols as a young lad.

Sadly one of them decided to commit the ultimate sin and join that lot down the M55.

The other who I would now say probably one of my favourite every North Enders was Gareth Ainsworth.

1585232319126.png 1585232389918.png

Not only was he a very talented footballer but he gave everything for the shirt, every time he played. He came out to the coaches when we got relegated at Bolton and often had a bandaged head and bloodied shirt.

He had a few spells at North End and each time was the same, fully committed, was a tragedy that we didn't sign him full time after his final loan spell.

Just noticed a typo in the title, could someone amend it for me please? Will bug me now I've seen it. Thanks!

My first season ticket was Tommy Docherty’s season, so you could say things could only get better! My favourite at the time was Andy McAteer because he lived next door to my grandad 😄 but there was never really anyone to idolise until John Thomas came along. The re election season was obviously a low point but he gave absolutely everything that season and the season after he carried on and we got promotion. He didn’t look like a footballer, he didn’t seem to be particularly fit, he never stayed anywhere long but we loved him - and I think anyone of my age probably still does.

And then came Mooney ....

Steve Elliott then Gary Brazil. The thrill of playing with your socks rolled down in honour of Gary

Alex Dawson all day long.

For those that weren’t privileged to see him, he could head a ball harder than most could kick it, and when he took a penalty the goalkeeper would dive out of the way to avoid injury.