PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Your starting 11 (assuming no robbo)

Think it would be worth splashing out on a decent keeper given we might have a solid defense. Then we can win alternate between 1-0 wins and 0-0 draws.

-------------------new GK-------------

----------Storey---Bauer---Davies-----------

Fisher------------------------------Hughes---

-------------------Pearson--------------------

------------Browne--------Potts--

----------Stockley----Maguire------------------
Agree there may be a 3 centre back formation at some point, here is my take on what it could be.

I hope not - little pace, little width, precious little creativity. That is a recipe for sterility.

I hope not - little pace, little width, precious little creativity. That is a recipe for sterility.
That's sort of my point, it is the best we could put out currently without Robinson, assuming we are after a new keeper.

Teams don't necessarily need width in this division to succeed as long as stockley is effective and has enough support.

The problem with his thread is that it assumes you pick the same 11 home and away, against all levels of opposition.

The grafting line-ups being presented by some here would be great away at Fulham, but may not be what we need at home to Wigan/Millwall.

(Home)
Ripley
Fisher Bauer Davies Hughes
Pearo
Gally Potts or Bodin
Browne
Maguire Stockley

(Away)
Ripley
Pearo Gally
Barky Browne Potts

Ripley

Pearson

Barkhuizen Potts Browne Maguire

Stockley

There is an arguement for potentially Bodin in for Maguire and/or Maguire for Stockley but we are short of quality attacking wise without Robinson. Big fan of Barky, Potts and Browne but they are workhorses who not posess that bit of quality on the ball which we will need to compete.

Not totally convinced on Fisher and have never seen Ripley play.

All in all as we all know we now need some quality additions not quantity or potential. I am sure the Riddler will be working his magic behind the scenes

I'd anticipate Bodin is more likely to play the home games with Potts the away games. If we lose Robinson I'd expect Barky to play off the left

That's sort of my point, it is the best we could put out currently without Robinson, assuming we are after a new keeper.

Teams don't necessarily need width in this division to succeed as long as stockley is effective and has enough support.

Even with current resources and assuming Robinson leaves - which I still think is not inevitable - then options in AN's ideal formation are:

Rudd/Ripley

Fisher/Rafferty, Bauer/Storey, Davies, Hughes/Earl

Pearson, Gallagher/Johnson

Bodin/Barkhuizen/Potts, Browne, Maguire/Harrop/Ginelly/Barkhuizen (again)

Stockley/Moult/Maguire (again)

I haven't forgotten about Ledson who could well develop into a fine player for us nor Clarke or Huntington - just making the point that Davies, Pearson and Browne are the three players for us who through their merits and arguably lack of comparable competition are close to automatic starters. My own feeling is that another central midfielder would be useful and that right-back is a position where a quality addition might make a difference. A lot will depend on whether Maguire, Bodin and Harrop are fully recovered.

Interesting to see a lot of people assuming Bauer will take Storey's place.
Considering Storey won rave reviews for his performances last season (both locally and nationally), and Bauer's only previous experience of championship football was in a relegated side, I find this surprising.
Still think Storey and Davies will be first choice personally, though expect Bauer to be introduced when up against a big number 9 such as matt Smith.

Rudd

Pearson Gally

Barkhuizen Browne Potts

Maguire

I think its quite clear looking at these teams, that we would be in big trouble if we lost robbo and didn't replace him :oops:

Beat the Championship Champions without Robinson. Went on a long unbeaten run at the beginning of the year without Robinson

Pearson Gallagher
Browne

Pretty much picks itself. Realistically we need a new keeper. On the wings we need creative players for at home and runners for away. Barky and Potts would do for the runners on the wing. At the moment Bodin and CR fill the 2 creative rolls, but if/when CR leaves we need a real quality creative winger/inside forward or we'll struggle at home against lesser teams who'll sit back and we'll end up mid table. Maguire and Harrop can act as backup but can't be relied on in any of our plan As on the wing (plan A to me doesn't mean 11 players but the best option against any given opposition, so requires a first choice 15/16/17) as we've all seen over the last few seasons that backup will be forced to have a run over the season and will be found out if out of position.

Up front I feel we need another option. We can't afford a striker who would be effective against any opposition and so need to go horses for courses, think it's been shown that Maguire, Moult and Stockley don't cover all the courses we'll come up against.

As for picking a starting 11 out of our current squad I don't think I can. If we don't add to it we'll have the 7 I've picked as regulars and rotate the GK and front 3, not having any variation good enough to beat defensive teams at home and we'll pluckily fall short once again.

Not meant as a dig at the club as I'm sure more signings will come as the window moves on, but I think any poster who feels Rudd/Ripley/Bodin/Barky/Potts/Harrop/Maguire/Stockley/Moult is a good and varied enough selection to fill the 4 remaining slots in a promotion chasing side is deluded, or clearly doesn't go to games.

So many variables.
Almost automatic are
PEARSON BROWNE DAVIES. GALLY if legs allow
Others up for grabs but when I look through the squad we are not as bad as some would think we have 1 largely unknown quantity keeper
cover across the back and defensive midfield attacking midfield has guile and pace esp BARKY.
Up front is the question can stockley and Maguire play together or one running on .
Do we need others. We always want more but we are not headed for doom and gloom.
Let's see what rabbits can be pulled out of the bag. Still a month of the window to go.

Interesting to see a lot of people assuming Bauer will take Storey's place.
Considering Storey won rave reviews for his performances last season (both locally and nationally), and Bauer's only previous experience of championship football was in a relegated side, I find this surprising.
Still think Storey and Davies will be first choice personally, though expect Bauer to be introduced when up against a big number 9 such as matt Smith.

As far as I can ascertain from reports and from comments on here it sounded like Storey, although worthy of his award, seemed to falter a bit towards the end of the season. He was thrown in at the deep end and by all accounts did very, very well (and is likely to be a big hit going forward), but I think Bauer has been brought in to take that first team spot from the off (obviously starting depends on how pre-season goes) with Storey to challenge him and be ready if and when the position opens up due to suspensions, injuries and/or poor form. Storey has plenty of time on his hands at his age and if he does start then that will be a big statement from AN.

Storey won't develop if he doesn't play though. We had the same with Earl where people thought he would kick on, but due to lack of game time he doesn't seem to have done.